Sign in to follow this  

1992 xr600 with electric start? enduro model?

Was there an electric start version of 1992 xr600 bike? A guy locally has 1992 xr600 motor for sale with a starter on it.he claims it's from an enduro model. I can't find anything on google about it. Anyone heard of these?

Gotta laugh at that one.  

No, at least not in the US.  It is most likely a 650L engine that someone put in there several owners back.  I think I read that someone else put that engine in a 600 frame on this forum, but not sure how common it is.

Someone else chime in if you know otherwise, but I would say the guy is feeding you a line and hoping you get hooked off the "enduro model" bait.  Look at the cylinder.  It will have the number of CCs stamped on it.  that will tell you if its a complete 650L engine or not.  It might be a 600 jug on a 650L bottom end, but I am not sure they mate up exactly.

just curious, but what is he asking for it?

300 but negotiable. it looks pretty clean.  he is getting me closer pictures of it tomorrow.  I wondered if it was a 650XL.  Even if it is, that should fit in an XR600R frame from 87 woudn't it?

Edited by goneballistic

Pretty sure that's an XR650L. There is one XR600R floating around that I know of that had an e-start added to it.

An XRL motor should bolt into an XR600R frame. The electrics are different though.

As said..300,,bargain..get it and ship it to me..Thing must be stolen to be going so cheap..That'd be worth over a 1000 easy down here..

Edited by Horri

No would not be a simple bolt in Tom..Airbox connection is the problem. I've said this before but haven't tested the theory..You may be able to sort it by removing the hose connection to the airbox from the twin box and poking the connection from a single carb in there,,They just unbolt or maybe unrivet from the front of the box so it's not a major in my book..Bit of pipe fabbing may be needed if the shocks slightly in the way..again not that hard to a half decent DIYer..Then it's on to the electrics..pretty straightforward there..

Edited by Horri

If your frame is an 87, it had dual carbs. I dont think it a simple bolt in. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Tom

Good point! The dual carb frames would be a challenge. The engine would bolt in, but you couldnt mount the carb. You might be able to retrofit a dual carb head on the XRL engine.... not sure on that though.

No would not be a simple bolt in Tom..Airbox connection is the problem. I've said this before but haven't tested the theory..You may be able to sort it by removing the hose connection to the airbox from the twin box and poking the connection from a single carb in there,,They just unbolt or maybe unrivet from the front of the box so it's not a major in my book..Bit of pipe fabbing may be needed if the shocks slightly in the way..again not that hard to a half decent DIYer..Then it's on to the electrics..pretty straightforward there..

I think the shock mount is different between the twin and single carb frames... one sits to the side and the other more in the center.

so for the shock mount I'd have to either relocate the bracket, or using a bushing to account for the difference in mounting position? 

As far as the carb goes,  someone suggested using an FCR MX,  which is a good idea.  I looked on Ebay and they all seem about 400 bucks though. ouch. hopefully a used one will eventually crop up.

I think I could fab a single carb air hose out of plumbing parts, silicone and rivets or  whatver. I'm also not against just replacing the whole airbox with a single carb model as long as it'll fit in there, which I assume it would.

Look for an FCR from a CRF 250 or 450. They are fairly plentiful and can be had for $200 or less.

so for the shock mount I'd have to either relocate the bracket, or using a bushing to account for the difference in mounting position? 

As far as the carb goes,  someone suggested using an FCR MX,  which is a good idea.  I looked on Ebay and they all seem about 400 bucks though. ouch. hopefully a used one will eventually crop up.

I think I could fab a single carb air hose out of plumbing parts, silicone and rivets or  whatver. I'm also not against just replacing the whole airbox with a single carb model as long as it'll fit in there, which I assume it would.

Exactly what I'm saying,,,fabbing a few bits of alloy or changing the way the plastic/rubber hose to the airbox routes around the shock is pretty easy stuff and as I said swapping in the single airbox front may work..With the hosing you just go to a motorcycle wreckers and ask him to let you look through his airbox stuff till you find the suitable bits of rubber for the job..You just need to look at an airbox to see how easy the front of them comes off..Not a hassle there..You wouldn't consider moving shocks around,,that's a major..A complete single carb box may fit but I doubt the mounting holes for it to the frame would match..once again changing their position is not a%2

DELETION BUG STRIKES AGAIN..I'll fix this later..

Edited by Horri