Sign in to follow this  

Missouri Chadwick, closed?

I was going to run down this weekend and play a bit. Anybody know if it's closed?

just the camp groung is closed you can still ride

just the camp groung is closed you can still ride

Good. Have a new Beta that will need "proper" breaking in. Might as well immediately wear off the newness. :smirk:

I'm wondering if all the rangers are furloughed. :smirk:

Weather channel says a good chance of rain on Saturday, but clearing for Sunday. Also much cooler temps starting Friday night.

What the heck?!? Buddy and I were going to head that way for the weekend and stay till Monday. All camp grounds closed? Guess we could find a spot off the beaten path. Sh*t!!

What the heck?!? Buddy and I were going to head that way for the weekend and stay till Monday. All camp grounds closed? Guess we could find a spot off the beaten path. Sh*t!!

You can still do the "primitive" camping thing down 171 (the dirt road) a ways, or maybe over by the pavillion. It's just the paved campground that's closed.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

Strange thing though, on both the day use area, and pavilion bulletin boards, there is a sign saying "area closed due to lack of federal funding". It's still open (no barricades or anything like that), but the whole place does appear to be technically closed.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

I called the gas station where u buy permits the lady says just camping on paved is closed, you'd think if the parks closed they would of let the store to know not to sell the permits.

They're still selling permits alright. Stopped into Kay's Sunday morning for bisquits and gravy on the way to the use area, and there was 2 guys walking out with day passes. Seen several more on bikes around the trails. Didn't think to ride up and see if they actually had anything barricading the camp ground entrance. 

So how many people are showing up on the weekends this time of year?

So how many people are showing up on the weekends this time of year?

There are usually a 15 or so groups out on the weekends if it's warm. If it's cold you will rarely see someone else on the trails unless it's a popular trail.

Some day I'll get my shock rebuilt and be back. Seem to have kinda lost interest in the whole dirt bike thing lately..

Do what I do, change up. Colorado, Arizona, Utah, etc. :banana:

Since we're discussing Chadwick...

Been years since I was there, rode a Black Jack enduro in the late nineties.  I've heard over and over that most of the single-track is gone, and the trails are all quaded out.  Is there still technical, challenging trails to ride down there?

Since we're discussing Chadwick...

Been years since I was there, rode a Black Jack enduro in the late nineties. I've heard over and over that most of the single-track is gone, and the trails are all quaded out. Is there still technical, challenging trails to ride down there?

All the "legal" trails are quaded out, they can still be fun though. There is some singletrack on the back side near strawberry ridge that is really fun. They rangers said the are trying to make the whole northern side single track only in the future.

Some day I'll get my shock rebuilt and be back. Seem to have kinda lost interest in the whole dirt bike thing lately..

Dammit man, the second I get a bike, you're out of the game...

I'd hurry before winter sets in! Lol

It may be spring, but I'll be back. Had several not too fun rides in a row and getting a bit burned out, so taking some time off and having a blast on my mountain bike instead. Building my fitness and having some fun again. No hurry, doubt that Chadwick is going to go anywhere soon. :thumbsup: