Sign in to follow this  

Idaho snow on sheep mtn and sunset lookout?

I was hoping to do a loop this coming Saturday that would include Haga, Pogue, Sheep Mtn, Hungarian over sunset lookout. Both the lookout and Sheep mtn are about 8000 feet. Does anyone know if I already missed the boat and they are snowed in? It looks like the weather channel says there is a 30-50% chance of precipitation tonight and Thursday also.....

robert

Not sure about the snow situation. Have you looked into whether or not sheep mtn and pogue are open? They were consumed by the trinity ridge fire last year.

They aren't part of any current closures that I'm aware of.... we are dual sporting through there on Sat and I expect to run into snow at some point. I also did see a posted picture of Lava Mtn from this past weekend... looked to have an inch or so of snow, but they were able to "dig" through since the ground underneath was not frozen.

I guess sheep mtn could be optional. I could take the roaring river trail and then do the full length of the pogue. To make it work I would still need to get past the lookout so I could come out the hungarian trail. I'll try the loop clockwise so I will be trying to get past the lookout early in the day, if I can't I will have lots of gas and time to do something different. If you were coming from barber flat at the end of the day low on fuel and you couldn't get up, it would turn into a really bad day....

I guess sheep mtn could be optional. I could take the roaring river trail and then do the full length of the pogue. To make it work I would still need to get past the lookout so I could come out the hungarian trail. I'll try the loop clockwise so I will be trying to get past the lookout early in the day, if I can't I will have lots of gas and time to do something different. If you were coming from barber flat at the end of the day low on fuel and you couldn't get up, it would turn into a really bad day....

what? if i couldn't get up hungarian ridge at the end of the day, I'd take one of the 2 or 3 alternate routes to the road, either through edna creek campground or idaho city. Either one probably uses less gas than going up hungarian.

Anyway, there's no snow to speak of up there. I saw a dusting off the trail in some shadows in 1 or 2 spots. There is a big tree across the trail somewhat over waist height that could be problematic for a solo rider with a heavy bike, or one who was just a weakling. I didn't have any trouble getting my 2stroke over it. I just did a short ride (60 miles or so), and went back up short creek into the idaho city trail system. I suspect that your biggest issue right now will be deadfall and not snow. I don't know anyone who has ridden the trinities this year. I would try to get some good trail condition info before I set out to do roaring river and william pogue as a loop. Even with lots of gas and a chainsaw, it is easy to back yourself into a corner in idaho and  end up sleeping on the trail

what? if i couldn't get up hungarian ridge at the end of the day, I'd take one of the 2 or 3 alternate routes to the road, either through edna creek campground or idaho city. Either one probably uses less gas than going up hungarian.

Anyway, there's no snow to speak of up there. I saw a dusting off the trail in some shadows in 1 or 2 spots. There is a big tree across the trail somewhat over waist height that could be problematic for a solo rider with a heavy bike, or one who was just a weakling. I didn't have any trouble getting my 2stroke over it. I just did a short ride (60 miles or so), and went back up short creek into the idaho city trail system. I suspect that your biggest issue right now will be deadfall and not snow. I don't know anyone who has ridden the trinities this year. I would try to get some good trail condition info before I set out to do roaring river and william pogue as a loop. Even with lots of gas and a chainsaw, it is easy to back yourself into a corner in idaho and  end up sleeping on the trail

We rode down from the summit yesterday, so that was your track....

We ran into that tree, couldn't have been in a worse spot since we were going down with big heavy bikes.... ended up cutting the damn thing out with a handsaw...... it was either that or turn back... I couldn't see us lifting two bikes over in that particular spot. 

Edited by obrianmcc

We had a great ride on Sat. Like llama said, no snow. We did have to get the bikes over the big log. I just pop the clutch on the '200 and it stands straight up, half the work done. We ended out going Hungarian, barber trail, browns creek. From browns creek I was looking for the phantom plantation creek trail, of course I couldn't find the bridge because there isn't one... I figured that out after I got home and started reading on this forum. Time was getting short so I think we were fortunate we didn't head into sheep mountain late in the day. As it was I spent a bunch of time looking for the phamtom trail. We finally decided to ride the road to haga. It was 5:30 when we finally got there, that isn't a trivial trail at the end of the day, I had my 15 year old with me also. They must have fixed something on that trail though, it's been years since I have been on it but I remember having get off and walk the bike around one of the corners. We never had to get off, just pick a 1st year pace and grind out that first part of the trail.  90 miles at the end od the day.

llama, my point about being a problem going out Hungarian is you wouldn't know you have a problem until you get to the lookout and then you have no choice but to go all the way back to barber flat. At least I don't know of a way to get off the Hungarian without going all the way back. Is there a way? I agree that when you are at barber flat there are plenty of choices.

...robert

Yeah, if you were all the way at the top, AND it was already getting dark, that would be annoying. I start early and plan to finish several hours before dark because I'd rather watch football and drink beer than sleep on the trail. You are pretty manly if you were planning on going up the old haga. I did that once by myself, and after that just waited until they did the blasting and made it a reasonable trail. 

Mike, thanks for cutting out that tree. I was wondering if I could have figured out a way to get around that log. If I were masochistic enough to ride a heavy-azz DS bike, I might have considered trimming the shrubbery or otherwise exploring a wider-ranging work around. It looked like it might have been possible to drop below the trail 50 yards or so earlier, come way below the thick alders (or whatever that crap is), and back up, but I was already over, so I only made a mental note of that possibility in case I got turned back later.