new petcock for drz 400 s only has 1 nipple what next ?

I bought a new petcock from brownsracing and it only has 1 nipple , should I keep stock petcock ,my carb is stock Mikuni ,do I need vacuum hose 

You are replacing your original vacuum operated petcock with a manual petcock.  That is fine, you just have to remember to manually turn the gas off when you park the motorcycle.  Plug up the vacuum nipple on the carb.  Auto parts store will sell you a cap for the nipple.

You must of had a reason to replace the original petcock.  If it works, yes keep it.  If it leaks you have the option to replace it with whatever you want or repair it.

Always always always turn it to off when your not using the bike. Sucks having to change oil after only 30 mile ride. I now have a note in my garage to remind me lol

You are replacing your original vacuum operated petcock with a manual petcock.  That is fine, you just have to remember to manually turn the gas off when you park the motorcycle.  Plug up the vacuum nipple on the carb.  Auto parts store will sell you a cap for the nipple.

You must of had a reason to replace the original petcock.  If it works, yes keep it.  If it leaks you have the option to replace it with whatever you want or repair it.

I wont remember ,I bought petcock to put on  a black tank ,Instead of swapping petcocks I could swap colors 

Well there you go!

Don't even need a cap, I just threaded a screw into the vacuum line on mine. A little ghetto but it works.

How many times have I seen that done.   Not only crude but screw threads don't seal well.

Hey don't judge me noble! I used a screw that's larger than the i.d. of the line, holds a perfect vacuum. Still not saying this is the best way to do it though lol

Have you noticed that threaded fasteners have a groove all the way around that kinda/sorta spirals from one end to the other?

I think that's likely why they don't really seal all that well.

I've used the screw method maybe once, temporarily, but I also know that when I see it on a bike it's a sure sign that Mickie Mouse has been around !

Edited by shuswap1

is there a known  issue with the DRZ mikuni  that it will flood the crankcase  with fuel if you don't shut the petcock off ?

I know it's " best" but I trailer 14  mikuni carbs at any given time   and a Kehin  and they never let fuel past the needle and seat

even on a bumpy trailor with the petcocks on

There certainly is an issue .....but of course it doesn't happen to everyone.

It's primarily a small o-ring that fails, located under the (brass) float valve seat and if you do a search you'll find several examples of this flooding the engine.

I speak from personal ( 2x ) experience and have installed a manual fuel valve ($24) to give me control over the situation, preventing a second instance of finding a flooded floor in the garage.

is there a known  issue with the DRZ mikuni  that it will flood the crankcase  with fuel if you don't shut the petcock off ?

I know it's " best" but I trailer 14  mikuni carbs at any given time   and a Kehin  and they never let fuel past the needle and seat

even on a bumpy trailor with the petcocks on

Edited by shuswap1

I just replaced a perfectly good vacuum controlled petcock with a manual one on my '06 S. $16 of insurance seems like a good idea. The stock vacuum valve is great but it will fail some day. I put a sticker on my left rear view mirror reminding me to shut off the fuel (got that idea from someone on here but can't remember who so sorry I can't give specific credit but THANKS!). Haven't forgot to turn it off yet and I sleep a little better knowing I don't need to check my oil level every day or for the odor of gasoline.

I have a manual petpock, I never turn it off while the bike is parked... why do I need to do that?

everything is alright even when its ON, just annoying trying to start your bike realizing the petcock is OFF.

I replaced my OEM petcock with a manual one.....TWICE!!! Both of the manual petcocks and both of them leaked from the start!  I took them apart and discovered how poorly the were manufactured.  On both of them the fuel nipple came out, leaked around selector knob and the last one leaked into carb in the off position resulting in 1gal + in my crank!!  I purchased a repair kit for the vacuum OEM and seems to be working.  I still haven't put it on the bike yet thou, have it on  the tank and hooked up to a vacuum tool and testing to make sure it is off when no vacuum. So far so good!   

May I ask what brand you purchased? This would be helpful for others thinking about the same idea.

The Yamaha petcock I bought seemed to be of their typical moderately-high quality.

Not that I'm surprised but some processes are just that; a process. My new manual petcock had started leaking around the selector valve. For $16 I'm not shocked but irritated regardless. I'm going to give a different one a shot. Seller claims to have a superior product that won't exhibit the same issues as the cheap ones. Plus the new one has the fuel outlet pointing down for proper fuel line routing. Hindsight is biting me right now but I'll stop looking back now...

Suzuki make a oem manual petcock. All uk version drzs have them ?! And overflow pipes.

I have a manual petpock, I never turn it off while the bike is parked... why do I need to do that?

everything is alright even when its ON, just annoying trying to start your bike realizing the petcock is OFF.

your float bowl fills up with gas, something happens to make your float needle stick, gas pools on top of the piston and leaks past the rings into the crankcase, you ride the bike with oil diluted by gasoline, motor goes boom. An extreme case but it happens.

Installed the new, more expensive petcock. The new one is much higher quality and I like the downward pointing outlet (stock position). It fit nicely with the stock spacer and no leaks once installed. The main pick up tube is shorter than stock but I was able to use the plastic pick up tube from the leaky petcock in combination with the shorter tube and achieved the same length as the stock pick up tube. I think this will be a winner.