Sign in to follow this  

Trail Bike for Tall Guy

I'm looking at getting my first bike and need some advice.  I'm 6'7" and 190 lbs.  I grew up riding bikes on our farm and have been trail riding a handful of times on mountain/woods trails on my nephew's CRF250R.  I will only be riding trails in the woods and mountains.

I've been considering the following bikes:  KDX200, XR250, CRF250x, TTR230, CRF230F, and KTM 200EXC. 

Any recommendations/thoughts for my size and type of riding?  Thanks!

Edited by JoMa

I'm looking at getting my first bike and need some advice.  I'm 6'7" and 190 lbs.  I grew up riding bikes on our farm and have been trail riding a handful of times on mountain/woods trails on my nephew's CRF250R.  I will only be riding trails in the woods and mountains.

I've been considering the following bikes:  KDX200, XR250, CRF250x, TTR230, CRF230F, and KTM 200EXC. 

Any recommendations/thoughts for size and type of riding?  Thanks!

DO NOT go for the TTR-230 Try a Yamaha Wr250f Instead you can mod t here and there to get a lil more race style in it and you have that Sixth Gear for those long Fire Roads.

DO NOT go for the TTR-230 Try a Yamaha Wr250f Instead you can mod t here and there to get a lil more race style in it and you have that Sixth Gear for those long Fire Roads.

Thanks.  Why do you not recommend the TTR-230?

Don't get the CRF230 or XR250 either. Both of the 230's and XR250 are small bikes, people who are 5'8" are too big for it. Get any of the other bikes, or a "full" size bike, which usually means the competition bikes (250 or 450 4 strokes or equivalent 2 stroke). you'll still need to modify them afterwards too fit you. Plan on getting a tall seat, bar risers and taller handle bars. Which may require longer cables for the clutch and throttle.

I'm 6'5" and have a WR400F, it's known too be a tall bike. I've added a tall seat, bar risers 1.5" forward and up, and protaper DRZ110 bend bars. Not saying the what's going to work for you, but hopefully point you in the right direction. Unfortunately you'll have to find out what fits by trial and error. 

edit: forget the KDX200, just took a quick peek at it and it appears to be a smaller bike too.

Edited by Spiritwalker2222
  • Like 1

I am just a shade under 6'3 and my favorite ride now is my KTM 200EXC.   I have tried it with three different types of seats: stock; that type that scoops down so you can't slide back; and a tall/soft seat.  By far the best fit and fiddle is the tall/soft seat.  I can use a lot more leg with the bike set up this way. 

Now I also outweigh you by about 15 lbs and I will say, there is nowhere that this bike won't go quickly.  I have read some comments that it struggles in sand, but two of the riding venues we go to regularly have huge, deep sand sections...I just lean back and gas it like any other bike.  I also have a 250 XCW but find that I favor the 200 more often than not.  I only do trails, no track.  I have been on all the bikes you listed and once I got my mind/ass wrapped around the 200, there was no contest.

One thing, I always figured my 250 was all about trails, but its first gear is not a granny gear.  The 200's first gear is a granny gear.  Although I probably do not use it all that much, there are those super tight rutty surprise sections where it is really nice to have it.  And since it has 6 gears, you still have the decent top end speed if needed.

• Like 1

Isnt a Wr250 a Yamaha?

yamaha makes one but so does husky. my boy is sitting on my '08 in my avatar picture. 

link to new ones:

http://husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/range-products.php?pid=23&cid=23

since they were just bought up by a new investment group they're going to change some stuff up. if you look around you can find brand new leftovers in the $5000 range.  happy hunting!

yamaha makes one but so does husky. my boy is sitting on my '08 in my avatar picture.

link to new ones:

http://husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/range-products.php?pid=23&cid=23

since they were just bought up by a new investment group they're going to change some stuff up. if you look around you can find brand new leftovers in the $5000 range. happy hunting!

Wow i didnt know that one. Well learned something new today :D

6-4....had a 2011 300XC with lower pegs by 1/2" and 1" bar risers...it was perfect...

• Like 1