Sign in to follow this  

correct spring size for my bike

Hello all

I have a 05 crf450r that I bought from a much smallier guy. What size/ weight springs should I be using on the bike? I weight 210 buck naked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Redtundra8

Hello all

I have a 05 crf450r that I bought from a much smallier guy. What size/ weight springs should I be using on the bike? I weight 210 buck naked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Redtundra8

Racetech.com has a conversion chart. They'll tell you what springs your bike came with and what size springs are right for your weight. I used the site to find the correct size spring for mine a few weeks ago then went on eBay and ordered the spring size they suggested.. My race sag is exactly four inch's... Perfection!

Thank both you guys for the info, I have looked on ebay and seen plenty of springs for sale but had no idea what I needed.

Thanks again

Dante

That's affirmative on race tec - find the spring that fit your weight and riding style and ability . My personal experience learning from a professional suspension builder is to have the springs dyno tested . I bought springs that were suppose to be 5.0 on the rear - took the bike to him to build and he dyno tested my spring and it measured 4.6 in the working range - basically most spring companies will say a spring is a 5.0 if it hits the 5.0 during any point in the spring compression - my spring didn't hit 5.0 till almost fully compressed . Gave it to him because he had a wAll of take off's that were already dyno tested - the key is to get the 5.0 reading in the working range of the spring , wether it be the rear spring or the front springs - this guy is a suspension guru . GPS suspension Fort Worth Texas, custom building and valving expert service and knowledge - his name is Kevin Stilwater . Or it's GPR suspension - let me know if your interested and I will track down his card to get you his number - did I mention he is very reasonable as well .

I buy my springs from Cannon Racecraft.  They use better metal in their springs and the spring is lighter than the same spring from a different manufacturer.  cannonracecraft.com  they also have springs rate charts.