Sign in to follow this  

How to get more out of 2001 Honda cr125

Ok so I have a 2001 Honda cr 125 that I want to get more power out of it and I really don't have any money right now so cheaper is better. I use this bike to race right now and I really want more out of it until I get my new bike for next year of race season.

But really cheaper power is your own practice and skill it's all in the rider.

i got the skill. I push that bike right to the limits. 2nd gear taped out around corners and handle bar dragging is the way I ride. Fast and smooth as hell. Just want some more power or the bike to rev out father so I can triple a few things that I can only double right now.

Well, since you can ride a 125 to its max potential.... the only real answer is a bigger engine.  Nothing that will give you real, noticeable results will be anywhere close to the cheap range.  And you should probably send a video to all of the Factory teams so they can pick you up.

Edited by KcDavis

Well, since you can ride a 125 to its max potential.... the only real answer is a bigger engine. Nothing that will give you real, noticeable results will be anywhere close to the cheap range. And you should probably send a video to all of the Factory teams so they can pick you up.

i doubt that any factor will be intrested in picking up a guy like me! I'm only 14 with no sponsors or anything for racing. Just a guy that likes to riding a 125 there way it should be ridden when raced! Wide open and 3rd gear corners!!

You might want to like into a 250f for the super cross season....l

that is what I was thinking. I was thinking if either go and pick up a newer 2012 KTM 150sx or go with a 2013 Kawasaki KX250F. What are your guys thoughts?

I've read that an airboot from the 05-07 cr125's makes a noticeable difference. You could probably even get away with drilling a couple small holes in the airbox but remember your going to need to rejet if you change anything with the airflow. Pipes and reeds will just move the power around in the powerband and they don't really add power so I'd steer clear of those if your selling the bike anyways. The best way to make any bike faster is having your suspension set up for you. That is the first thing you should do to the bike you plan on keeping for awhile. The biggest bang for the buck on your 125 as far as power mods go is a port job for about $225 or a big bore kit which is around $500. Other than that just buy the airboot or save your money for your next bike. IMO the longer you can keep riding your 125 the better rider you will become. There is always room for improvement and if you think you can rail corners now then wait till you get your suspension set up.

i doubt that any factor will be intrested in picking up a guy like me! I'm only 14 with no sponsors or anything for racing. Just a guy that likes to riding a 125 there way it should be ridden when raced! Wide open and 3rd gear corners!!

I thought it was 2nd gear corners tapped out.

I thought it was 2nd gear corners tapped out.

ooops. Lol I ment 2nd gear tapped out haha. 3rd gear tapped going around a Corner would be pretty figgen narly!!

I had the exact same bike as u did pushed it to its limits as well suprised that it kept running keeping up with my friends on there cr250 got annoyed by how slow and the power It didn't have sold it got myself a cr250 totally the weight didnt feel much different and the power to pull wheelies all day its worth selling it and if u think the 125 is gnarly just wait till u get a 250 they are power sliding wheeling jumping watever u want to do on them I had my 01 125 and couldn't wheelie to save my life yeah they had that good power band but constantly fanning the clutch to get it going into the rpm so out of my experience sell it and get yourself that cr250, 01 or 96 those are the best years they made them

Edited by joethedirtbikerkid