Sign in to follow this  

Bought a DRZ400SM some questions about upgrades on bike

I purchased a 2005 DRZ400sm with 2500 miles from a kid who didnt really ride it and never registered it, so it was basically trading hands from the original owner to myself. The guy listed the upgrades that have been done to it in the craigslist ad, but I wanted to check them for myself primarily because listed were the following:

Big Bore Kit (434cc I imagine?)

Hot Cams

JD Jet Kit

3x3 Airbox mod

Is there any way to verify that it has the big bore kit installed? The engine LOOKS stock, and its really new so im not sure that seeing the new looking head gaskets on there means they were switched out with the install or what. There are no identifying marks on the part that would be big bore to indicate this. I know Athena has "Athena" in big letters on the left side of the engine, so i dunno...

Is there any way to find out without tearing apart the engine itself and looking inside? I also want to make sure i am running the appropriate octane if it does have this... To be safe, Im running high (91-93 octane) for now in case it does have the big bore. I know there can be detriment to running the wrong octane in either case, but I know running lower than required is often times worse.

Thanks guys!

Edited by pwnedbygary

29952_390163621915_686021915_4509107_115

That is the std bore on the right and a cylinder works big bore on the left 

If you open your airbox you can see if the 3x3 was done 

I am sorry but the only way to check the jets is to pull the carb , but you may be able to loosen it , then rotate it enough to get the top off . Then you can check if it has an adjustable needle 

The hotcams are not stamped and have a different pin count on the cogs . 14.5 not 15 , but you still have to strip half of the bike to get the rocker cover off to see , 

greg

• Like 1

Im sure you could tell.? From the power increase see if anyone around gere lives near you and if the have a stock one ride it and you will see or get it on a dyno?

Im sure you could tell.? From the power increase see if anyone around gere lives near you and if the have a stock one ride it and you will see or get it on a dyno?

Never ridden a stock one before so i dont know if this is stock or near stock power or not. Im going to go with greg's info and see what I can find out!

29952_390163621915_686021915_4509107_115

That is the std bore on the right and a cylinder works big bore on the left 

If you open your airbox you can see if the 3x3 was done 

I am sorry but the only way to check the jets is to pull the carb , but you may be able to loosen it , then rotate it enough to get the top off . Then you can check if it has an adjustable needle 

The hotcams are not stamped and have a different pin count on the cogs . 14.5 not 15 , but you still have to strip half of the bike to get the rocker cover off to see , 

greg

Thanks, a very helpful post!

Never ridden a stock one before so i dont know if this is stock or near stock power or not. Im going to go with greg's info and see what I can find

If it doesn't feel like a turd that fell flat on its face it probably has the big bore.

If it doesn't feel like a turd that fell flat on its face it probably has the big bore.

No, honestly its got plenty of balls up until about 75 or 80.

It scares me in 1st gear, im afraid of looping, and itll power wheelie in 2nd easily. havent been able to clutch up 3rd case i suck though.

Its running the 36mm carb though, so if I do have a BB, then im not getting the most out of it, I know.

My issue, was that on the head, there are no identifying marks to tell it apart from an OEM engine, I believe.

No, honestly its got plenty of balls up until about 75 or 80.

It scares me in 1st gear, im afraid of looping, and itll power wheelie in 2nd easily. havent been able to clutch up 3rd case i suck though.

Its running the 36mm carb though, so if I do have a BB, then im not getting the most out of it, I know.

My issue, was that on the head, there are no identifying marks to tell it apart from an OEM engine, I believe.

my stock drz sm with 3x3, jetting and mrd exhaust would not loop me out if i tried....well maybe if I clutched it and gave it full throttle.  Otherwise I can hammer on it hard with no worries of looping.

Post up a few pics (from both sides),  you should get a answer then,

Get the MRD/SSW,  will let it get to higher speeds much quicker.  (assuming you still have the stock exhaust on)

Post up a few pics (from both sides),  you should get a answer then,

Get the MRD/SSW,  will let it get to higher speeds much quicker.  (assuming you still have the stock exhaust on)

Hey i forgot to list this, it also has full yoshi rs3 exhaust. Would the SSW really make that big a difference compared to this aftermarket one?

Hey i forgot to list this, it also has full yoshi rs3 exhaust. Would the SSW really make that big a difference compared to this aftermarket one?

it should wheelie in third off the power with them upgrades (whats your gearing) mine 15/41 and mine crusies at 80 , i would forget about the mrd exhaust atm and change that carb for a fcr first off as the rs3 is not to bad good luck luke
  • Like 1

it should wheelie in third off the power with them upgrades (whats your gearing) mine 15/41 and mine crusies at 80 , i would forget about the mrd exhaust atm and change that carb for a fcr first off as the rs3 is not to bad good luck luke

Well ill take some pics when I get home as I took my car to work today, but this is what I was thinking. my gearing should be stock cause it can go up to about 100 i think at the rev limiter.

Well ill take some pics when I get home as I took my car to work today, but this is what I was thinking. my gearing should be stock cause it can go up to about 100 i think at the rev limiter.

even better would be a video

Since you allready have a good full exhaust system,  no need to really upgrade,   you're good to go.

Since you allready have a good full exhaust system,  no need to really upgrade,   you're good to go.

i keep reading that with a BB + Jets and cams that the DRZ just wont make as much power as with the SSW. I dont know how it can be so different from other full exhausts though.

Anyways, i still wanna verify 100% that its even got a Big Bore installed. Also, I would take a video, but I dont have a Drift or GoPro as of yet.

i keep reading that with a BB + Jets and cams that the DRZ just wont make as much power as with the SSW. I dont know how it can be so different from other full exhausts though.

Anyways, i still wanna verify 100% that its even got a Big Bore installed. Also, I would take a video, but I dont have a Drift or GoPro as of yet.

I have the MRD/SSW,   and really like it,   but my bike had the stock exhaust on,   if my bike had a full yosh like your's,  no way i would change it,   the MRD might make a bit more power,  but imo not worth the hassle and expenses of removing a perfectly good yosh system. 

• Like 2

I have the MRD/SSW,   and really like it,   but my bike had the stock exhaust on,   if my bike had a full yosh like your's,  no way i would change it,   the MRD might make a bit more power,  but imo not worth the hassle and expenses of removing a perfectly good yosh system. 

is there any way to get the popping like the SSW has? My Yoshi pops a tiny bit but i think it might be more plugged. My street bike has a ton of popping with the Delkevic exhaust I bought for it. <3 afterfire pops

See if your Yosh has a quiet insert inside,   if it does remove it,  and see how it does,  if you are really set on the MRD/SSW,  you can always sell your yosh system for around $300+,  add some more and get the MRD/SSW,   you can also get the shorty model,  its 12'' instead of 14'', so does not stick out as much,  sounds great too.  Thats what i have.

See if your Yosh has a quiet insert inside,   if it does remove it,  and see how it does,  if you are really set on the MRD/SSW,  you can always sell your yosh system for around $300+,  add some more and get the MRD/SSW,   you can also get the shorty model,  its 12'' instead of 14'', so does not stick out as much,  sounds great too.  Thats what i have.

haha. "hassle and expense" are my middle names. I took the carbon fiber yoshimura off my 09 and sold it for $300 and bought my mrd...

• Like 1