Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM towing a trailer?

This is my first post on Thumpertalk so if there is a thread or something already on this, please just point me in the right direction.

I plan on making a 2-3 week trip to the U.P. of Michigan next summer and I have started some minor work on my bike. I ordered an expedition tail bag, but that won't be enough room to make the trip (tent, spare clothes, food, survival gear, etc).

Could my dualsport handle a trailer on the back? Has anyone done this with a ~400cc bike? 

I plan on making the trailer with a cargobox to keep the weight low (tongue weight is supposed to less than 60 pounds, no?). 

There are these trailers. Seems pretty ridiculous to consider a trailer when all you have is a tailbag. I would recommend a Giant Loop bag or a Nomad Rider bag if you're cheap. Both are capable of carrying well more than the essentials for trips over a month long. Not many people buy the Nomad Rider, so it's hard to judge reliability. The Giant Loop bags are proven world travellers, but you'll pay a premium.

Edited by overgrownmoose

There are these trailers. Seems pretty ridiculous to consider a trailer when all you have is a tailbag. I would recommend a Giant Loop bag or a Nomad Rider bag if you're cheap. Both are capable of carrying well more than the essentials for trips over a month long. Not many people buy the Nomad Rider, so it's hard to judge reliability. The Giant Loop bags are proven world travellers, but you'll pay a premium.

My tail bag is very similar to the Giant Loop bag. Unfortunately, my single person tent takes up a lot of the space in it, not leaving much room for canned food and a spare set of clothing. 

I was looking into the moto-mule and planned on building off of that design since 950 is a little out of my price range for something I won't be using all too often, besides the trip.

I did that trip 2 years ago...so jealous.

My tail bag is very similar to the Giant Loop bag. Unfortunately, my single person tent takes up a lot of the space in it, not leaving much room for canned food and a spare set of clothing. 

I was looking into the moto-mule and planned on building off of that design since 950 is a little out of my price range for something I won't be using all too often, besides the trip.

Most people strap their tents on the outside in a dry bag.