Help me choose between two 07 EXC 525's

I have been looking for an EXC for a bit now and have found two in my area.  I have went and looked at both, but there is a predicament.  The first one has 200 hours, 5000 miles on it, but it was raced.  I rode it and it seemed like it was just fine.  The tires arent exactly new, and it had a couple broken things here and there on the body.  It seemed to be leaking some anti freeze, and some random oil seemed to be coming out of some of the breathers on the cylinder...I have always had a 2 stroke dirtbike so I dont know much about these engines....  OK so now the second one has 200 hours also, but it has near 10000 miles!  The guy says that they are highway miles, but it still seems like alot.  This one comes with 2 extra tanks and it has new tires.  It seemed alot cleaner than the other one.  They are both around 4000-4500 range, I havent discussed price too much with the second bike mentioned.  Both have apparently been maintained professionally often....So I have no clue which one would be the better choice!!  HELP ME!  any input is welcome.  Thanks so much

These are both fairly high mileage bikes, the first 'racing' bike averaged 25 mph over 200 hours and the second averaged 50 mph over 200 primarily road hours.  If the second bike has been well maintained, is in good condition, doesn't leak, and runs well I would pick this bike rather than the first one.  Either bike will require a top end refreshing in the very near future unless it has already been done.  This would of course include the requisite Kibblewhite SS valves.

Is working on this bike real difficult? I've been reading a lot about them and it seems like most people bring them to a shop. I've always done my own work to my 2 stroke... Also on my truck... Is there something I am missing when it comes to this engine? Thanks so much for the advice, I was leaning towards the second one, also.

If you wrench on your two strokes and truck, plan on working on this bike.  Whatever bike (KTM of course) you choose, you will need to get into it and verify a baseline level of maintenance.  Purchase a factory shop manual, pour through any records your bike's ex owner can provide for you (hint: good service records mean better maintenance). Verify the valve clearance and measure against (if available) time and date of last adjustment. 

I am a newbie with the 4 stroke 450 but learned a lot during the last week by getting intimate with my new machine.  Watch some of the you tube videos on valve maintenance and top-end rebuild to get an idea how rather simple the RFS engine really is.  If you have torque wrenches, feeler guages, snap ring plyers and Allen sockets already in your tool box, chances are that you have the skills to do your own maintenance.  Good luck.

Awesome, thanks. I also found a 450 that is relatively close to me, 290 hours 4k miles but is only green stickered. I think I am still going with the 525, I will use the power.

I'm assuming bottom end is good for quite a while longer... Anybody know how much work top end rebuild is? And price of all the gaskets, piston, rings, valves and such would be?

The RFS bottom end is very durable and long-lasting.  The top end is fairly simple and easy to work on, although  a tool is needed to re-rivit the cam chain.  Free RFS shop manuals can be downloaded from Beta. 

The RFS bottom end is very durable and long-lasting.  The top end is fairly simple and easy to work on, although  a tool is needed to re-rivit the cam chain.  Free RFS shop manuals can be downloaded from Beta. 

I know a coupe of heavy duty mechanics who ride rfs's and they just use ball peen  hammers to secure the master link. Not my cup of tea but their methods have been proven to be reliable none the less.

Update: the second bike that I was planning to get... The owner now says 4200 for the bike without the nice tank and seat, he will switch out to stock. Still worth it? Or does the first one sound better now? I like that the second one has no race hours and new tires, but it has 9000 miles on 200 hours. The first bike has 5000 miles on 200 but nearly all are race hours.

$4,200 is not a bad deal, however keep in mind that the KBB value is $4,030 retail for a bike in excellent condition and $2,765 value for a trade-in.  For $4,200 you should be able to get both tanks and the extra seat.

Be patient, ready to pull the trigger quick and willing to travel. After 6 months-i found an 07 525 exc with 16 hrs and paid 6k-still nubs on the tires. A month before this-i missed one with 14 hrs for 6k. All in la. In this time-There were several very nice bikes in the $5k range with 2-4k miles i turned down. I did not want the headaches of high hrs and rough miles.

Be patient, ready to pull the trigger quick and willing to travel. After 6 months-i found an 07 525 exc with 16 hrs and paid 6k-still nubs on the tires. A month before this-i missed one with 14 hrs for 6k. All in la. In this time-There were several very nice bikes in the $5k range with 2-4k miles i turned down. I did not want the headaches of high hrs and rough miles.

6k seems a little steep. I'd recommend waiting for a better deal, especially seeing that you can still find left over 2013 KTM 500's for about 8k...and used ones for around 7k...

My budget is pretty tight, being in college and all, but if I lived in TN I'd pick up that one in a heartbeat. Assuming it has low hours. I am still waiting on these guys to get the stock seat on for me. The owner owns a hydroponics place and they are just as flakey as you would assume they are.

If the owner seems shady or flakey, I would take that as a hint to maybe wait for another deal as they are always being sold. A member on here recently posted he got a 2012 KTM 500exc for under 6k! The deals are out there, just be patient, keep saving and get the bike you want, not something you could settle with. 

UPDATE once again...PLEASE HELP me decide...  I found a 2008 with lots of extras...Here is the listing description:

Well maintained 2008 KTM 530 EXC-R for sale. 2nd owner. Scotts Steering stabalizer, Enduro Engineering Skid plate, Enduro Engineering radiator guards, Cycra hand guards, FMF pipe, speed bleeders, Torch X2 halogen headlight, quick adjust pilot screw, mechanical cam chain tensioner, and a radiator fan. All emissions stuff removed.

Bike has 12,761 miles, 463 hours. 500 miles ago it was given a complete service: Cylinder re-plated by Millenium, new Vertex piston/rings, 3-angle valve job, valves adjusted, wheel bearings checked, swingaxle bearing cleaned and greased, steering head bearing cleaned and greased, new fork seals and fork oil, new shock oil and seals, and complete cooling system flush. Shock has been re-valved for open desert riding.

The bike gets ridden almost every other weekend, this isn't a garage queen. I keep up on all the service because I don't want to be stranded in the middle of the Mojave. Needs nothing and has been super reliable for me. Engine is basically new after service. Tires are good, currently registered non-op so there are no back fees due at the DMV. Setup for the dirt, but I have all turn signals, hand controls, license plate, stock exhaust, etc to go with it. Only selling because I want to upgrade to a new 500.

It has alot of probably rugged hours, since it is being sold in a desert town.  But it was completely serviced 500 miles ago.  I am worried about the bottom end needing any work in the near future.  My pros: FULLY Serviced, lots of extras, real slick.  Cons: many rugged hours. 

I would possibly be able to get this bike for cheaper than the 07  I have been looking at without the headache of having flakey sellers.  To remind everyone, the 07 im looking at is stock other than a KTM by FMF silencer on it, 201 hours with 9000 miles.  Valve adjusted and possible carb serviced recently.

Do you think the 07 or 08 would be the better choice?  I really appreciate your comments.

My $.02 is to buy the '08.  You will likely need to replace at least the valves soon on the '07 if the bike has 200 hours on it although YMMV if those miles were on the pavement which seems likely with a 45 MPH average.

The '08 looks like it has all the necessary goodies.  Does the '07?

My experience:

'07 525 EXC

Valves needed replacing at 285 hours and 6500 miles

I ended up needing to replace the whole top end (cylinder, piston and rings) at the same time

Total cost about $1000 and I did the labor

My miles are almost all off road in very dusty conditions and I have found it almost impossible to keep dirt out of the motor even though I clean the filter every ride.  I have 570 hours and 12500 miles on the bike now and it still runs great.  I have no idea how much longer it will go on this top end.  I probably will need to do a bottom end the next time I refurb the top end.

I also found another cleaner 07 for 5300... I am looking for a deal since I am on a budget.

If the second 525 did only do highway mi's, I would go with that one. Reason being despite our best efforts, dirt bikes ingest dirt when ridden in the dirt.

I'd take the '07 RFS engine if it were me. By '07, the RFS engines were well sorted out. The '08 & 09' had new model problems. Not all of them, but how would you know which one were sorted out, or not.

That's why you'll (often) find '08's & 09' for less money than a comparable '07 RFS.

If you want the later model engine, I'd go to a '10 or later.

RB