Sign in to follow this  

Noisy clutch or transmission

went for a ride yesterday --- '05 450X with recently installed Core EXP clutch kit, stock basket, new Rekluse brand plates.  - clutch pack except for the basket has 2-3 hours on it

Everything was going great  --- the clutch let me ride a gear higher (and faster) without having to feather it in every corner and was really making me smile-- that's how its supposed to work

Then, I got into some moderate nasty, technical singletrack - slow stuff,  1st and 2nd gear, low rpm donking over downed logs and riding through nasty little creekbeds ----   I heard a very weird sound - almost sounded like I was trying to engage the starter while the bike was running (I wasn't , but for comparisons sake, that's what it sounded like)  -- and then again up a nasty little 1st gear low rpm climb filled with rocks and tree roots and junk like that

At that point I thought it was the transmission doing something catastrophic, but then reasoned that would probably have brought me to a sudden stop --  so I started babying the bike to get it back to the truck - being conscious to pull the clutch in manually as much as possible and not get stuck in too high a gear

When I got out of the technical sections of the trail and got into some more open grass-track sections, - no issues.    As well, there is a small makeshift MX track close to the trailhead, so I thought I would go hammer a few laps over there to try to duplicate the noise -- again - nothing, but I got a bit of slip when I hammered the throttle coming out of a turn in 5th gear wheni should have been in 3rd - but that's to be expected --

So loose, slow technical conditions where the bike is fighting for traction, the dang thing sounded like it was going to break -- but no real issues landing jumps and then whacking the throttle wide open on the mx track

Is this the dreaded Rekluse CRF chatter  or possibly something more insidious ?   --   

My rekluse will chatter a lot in slow single track. Try Rotella T it might help a bit. Also the slip when you were 2 gears higher isn't correct. It should have lugged. You freeplay needs to be adjusted after tranny and clutch gets really warmed up.

Ill usually adjust after 20 _30 min into a ride

Edited by StonedInNy

On a side note if ya slipped a lot you prolly glazed your steel plates a little. If ya have time check em out and clean them up. Smooth concrete works best for doing that.

went for a ride yesterday --- '05 450X with recently installed Core EXP clutch kit, stock basket, new Rekluse brand plates.  - clutch pack except for the basket has 2-3 hours on it

Everything was going great  --- the clutch let me ride a gear higher (and faster) without having to feather it in every corner and was really making me smile-- that's how its supposed to work

Then, I got into some moderate nasty, technical singletrack - slow stuff,  1st and 2nd gear, low rpm donking over downed logs and riding through nasty little creekbeds ----   I heard a very weird sound - almost sounded like I was trying to engage the starter while the bike was running (I wasn't , but for comparisons sake, that's what it sounded like)  -- and then again up a nasty little 1st gear low rpm climb filled with rocks and tree roots and junk like that

At that point I thought it was the transmission doing something catastrophic, but then reasoned that would probably have brought me to a sudden stop --  so I started babying the bike to get it back to the truck - being conscious to pull the clutch in manually as much as possible and not get stuck in too high a gear

When I got out of the technical sections of the trail and got into some more open grass-track sections, - no issues.    As well, there is a small makeshift MX track close to the trailhead, so I thought I would go hammer a few laps over there to try to duplicate the noise -- again - nothing, but I got a bit of slip when I hammered the throttle coming out of a turn in 5th gear wheni should have been in 3rd - but that's to be expected --

So loose, slow technical conditions where the bike is fighting for traction, the dang thing sounded like it was going to break -- but no real issues landing jumps and then whacking the throttle wide open on the mx track

Is this the dreaded Rekluse CRF chatter  or possibly something more insidious ?   --   

Everything you described is normal operation procedure with the EXP disc.

It sounds like a starter motor, a squealing front brake, and ball bearings destroying your motor, all at the same time, some of the time.

It usually occurs when you are in too high of a gear and need a bunch of throttle, or, if you take off from a stop without using the clutch.

I use my clutch as if it were stock, accept on the  ain't-gonna-make-it hills, where I let the EXP take over.

Thanks all - I will investigate all these possibilities .     I have done my post-ride cleanup but still haven't done the post-ride fluid changes .   I am going to use a strainer and check for metal in the transmission side , then pull the clutch cover and have a look-see.    

I'll check the free-play again as well ---- obviously hoping for the best all the way around

Krannie,  - I basically let the Rekluse  take over on a lot of the double track and think its the saving grace in singletrack too ---- so my philosophy is slightly different than yours, but we also ride in different terrain  ----- half my riding areas are textbook  "KTM 200 territory" - LOL   the auto clutch sure makes it easier to deal with on the heavier 450   -----

but that said , I have prior extensive experience with the Z Start Pro in a pair of Yamahas ---- this EXP is a different animal totally--- perhaps I need to brush up on it ,   ---- my "race bike" is still at the local moto boutique getting the treatment (Honda sent my guy a 250F cam instead of an 02 450F cam -- :banghead:  )   --- I was starting to second guess the EXP as I specced it out on that bike too--- hoping it will all turn out cool though

• Like 1