Sign in to follow this  

What speed do you know you're riding a DS on the street?

I just started riding my DRZ. I've had it up to 60 and the wheels didn't fall off. But, I think I started to realize I wasn't on a street bike at around 45mph.

Is this about right? When do you notice you are on a thumper/dirt bike suspension/dual sport tire?

Ive never been on a street bike,  but each time i ride me DRZ i get in the 90's easily,   feels fine to me,   i pretty much test out top speed everytime theres not a lot of traffic on the freeway or when its a nice flat surface,    to me the bike does great at higher speeds.

i've seen 102  on my speedo, so im assuming that's roughly around 92  actual MPH.

The bike feels fine at that speed, but  the engine is turning very fast.  aside  from the wind against my body, the bike seems perfectly stable at that speed.

my bike is at home at 75 or lower.  i assume i have a bit more  stability at top speed because of my SM tires.  before i got those,  the bike was  definitely more wobbly at +80mph.

Hmm, maybe it is just my inexperience as a rider. Seems over 45 was when I started feeling the bumps in the road more and the engine got to "thumping".

blakestree;;   i ride full dirt bling all the time on the street getting to the dirt. 60mph no issues. the more you ride it, the more comfortable you will get riding a dirt bike on the street. remember it is still a  heavy dirt bike but a dirt bike none the less. :ride:

• Like 2

When it was a bit too high in the rear and therefore unstable: Somewhere around 100km/h (~60mph). When I set the correct sag, increasing its stability in my case: Never. Or yeah, only when swooshing over or around obstacles and nimbly stepping the bike onto curves, leaving the Harleys behind like beached seals.

• Like 1

If anything, I'm low in the back, being 205lbs. and riding what I suspect is stock sag. I think I'm feeling the bumps on the front wheel. Though, I do try to sit forward on the tank as much as I can.

If anything, I'm low in the back, being 205lbs. and riding what I suspect is stock sag. I think I'm feeling the bumps on the front wheel. Though, I do try to sit forward on the tank as much as I can.

yeah but you get to tge point on the seat where you start crushing your yeah haha
  • Like 1

on the stock trailwings my stocker it felt fine all the way to 90-100 where the only downside was telling how little power she had left.

right now i have an 03 klx400sr very modded/mostly set up for offroad but still street ridden & a 00 drz400s mostly stock

on my current 03 klx400s that is on 10% road / 90% barely legal dot knobbies, anything above 50mph starts feeling sketchy. 65mph on it for awhile makes you really grateful as soon as you drop below 50mph.

my current 2000 mostly stocker with TKC80's feels fine up to about 85mph then you can start noticing the wobbling. Feels really comfortable up to 70-75

The 09 DRZ-400S I ride hits the 90s no problem although cruising is better in the 70s or less.

With my sprockets I'm buzzing along when I hit 75-80. With the Scotts there is absolutely no shimmy or anything, pure awesomeness, but she IS wound tight. Different sprockets, different story...... :smirk:

......regardless of top speed...... The upright riding position makes it feel like your going to blow off the rear fender starting about 60 mph..... I'd say that's when you realize your on a DS.

• Like 1