Sign in to follow this  

Is a RM300 really in the works?

Wake up Zig, I think you're dreaming! I can't see Suzuki bringing back the RM sadly, although to contradict myself they have just brought back the DL1000 that they phased out a few years ago. Meanwhile, the Europeans are stepping up to the plate - here's the latest Husky that's launched this week (inc carbon subframe), 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/mobile/news/c860f2f8-51b0-4cae-aba1-4945ac7c87f0.aspx

Also, for those of us that ride enduros/ H&H more nowadays,there's now the choice of Beta and Gas Gas 300s, plus of course the ubiquitous KTM SXs, XCs, & EXCs, and the tasty TMs too. TBH I doubt any of them are as well built and durable as the RM, or much better to ride, but sometime soon I'm going to need a new race bike and I just can't see much chance it'll be a yellow one. 

Ahhh not letting me go to the link!

Sorry about that, but this is old news, it came out in late June, try searching "FIM 300 Championship" just about every MX news outlet has something on it.  I only posted something because I haven't seen any posts about it in the Suzuki 2 stroke forum.

Wake up Zig, I think you're dreaming! I can't see Suzuki bringing back the RM sadly, although to contradict myself they have just brought back the DL1000 that they phased out a few years ago. Meanwhile, the Europeans are stepping up to the plate - here's the latest Husky that's launched this week (inc carbon subframe), 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/mobile/news/c860f2f8-51b0-4cae-aba1-4945ac7c87f0.aspx

Also, for those of us that ride enduros/ H&H more nowadays,there's now the choice of Beta and Gas Gas 300s, plus of course the ubiquitous KTM SXs, XCs, & EXCs, and the tasty TMs too. TBH I doubt any of them are as well built and durable as the RM, or much better to ride, but sometime soon I'm going to need a new race bike and I just can't see much chance it'll be a yellow one. 

Yea, I could be dreaming!  My thinking is that while the current 125 2 stroke class is a Junior series that really doesn't carry World Championship status (but Suzuki does compete in), the 300 series (actually 200cc to 300cc limit) is replacing the MX3 Open (450) class so it will have full championship status. 

Oddly enough I have been riding a KTM 300XC-w the past two years (love the bike), got it because you can't buy a new Suzuki two stroke.  Anyways, just last Sunday I did race a Hare Scramble in which a couple of Gas Gas 300's showed up (they really do look trick!), no TM's though.  Hard to say if Suzuki or any other Japanese company will ever build a 300, but I'm betting that if you ever got a chance to ride a KTM 300 or any other 300 off road you would be hard pressed to justify not getting one (a 300 of some kind).

Hey Zig, good thinking about the MX3 class, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Any idea what the homologation rules are - do the bikes have to be based on a production model, or could we see a works RH250-style special returning? Reminds me that I saw a 300cc RH cylinder for sale a few years ago that was claimed as ex-Pichon.

I've already tried an XC, albeit a 250, last year but tbh didn't like the chassis or the motor much, it didn't suit me well. I haven't seen one of the new GasGas's yet, or the Sherco, but coincidentally enough I had a ride on a Beta 300RR at the weekend. I just went over to the local enduro practice track with the RM and when I was unloading I noticed this 2014 Beta a few vans down. Went & checked it out, it's the first one I've ever seen, & got talking to the guy- he's a dealer who's just taken on a Beta franchise & this was his demo bike that he'd brought over to try out for himself.  I did a few sessions on my RM and the best lap I could manage was 2 mins 25 (course is fairly tight, 2nd-3rd gear stuff, and very rough indeed, v. worn hardpack & whooped out sand). The guy then offered me a no-obligation go on the Beta, which I couldn't resist - and was very surprised- well easy to ride, amazing front end, great ergos and a very sweet torquey motor. On my 4th lap on it, without setting sag or anything for me, I did a 2.18 including over running a corner slightly. Looks like I'l be after some red & white riding gear soon. To be fair I did manage a 2.18 on the RM later, trying hard as anything & getting twice as tired, but that Beta really did impress me. It actually rode very much like a well developed RM with a fantastic front end - the whole bike felt really familiar but just noticeably better. £6300 here... very tempting.