Sign in to follow this  

pilot jet question

I have an 08 crf250r. Recend rebuild,new crank,rod and piston. Has a new head with SS valves.Valves and timing are in spec,Checked twice for good measure. Had problems after the rebuild with starting mainly when hot. It would flood if even you just thought of it. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb and all runs great except it takes 5 or 6 kicks,sometimes more  to start it when cold. Hot it will start with 1 or 2 kicks so I am happy there.The jets are all stock as is the bike except for the exhaust.I'm in FL so altitude is basically at sea level.

My question is: how does the pilot jet effect the starting when cold? .The manual states 2 1/4 turns out. The shop that rebuilt the motor set it at 1 1/2 turns out which is for an earlier year bike.The bike seems to run fine  at either setting. I'm reading/learning everything I can about tuning so any input would be appreciated

Edited by 72Blazer

Turning the screw in will lean the mixture , out to richen. What pilot jet is in there?

I understand the rich/lean adjustments. How much does the pilot jet come into play when first starting the bike?

It might just be I need a new technique to start it now. Just have to find it.