Sign in to follow this  

yz125 or crf230

i wish to buy the yz125 but not sure if its too big for me im 5ft 8 and 170 i will maby do some track and a lot of trails and i know yz125 is not good for trails  but

i really want to start riding 2 strokes. coming off of an 2003 xr100. so what do you all think the best bike is for me. if you think a diffrint bike is better then what bikes i think are good then tell me what it is

thanks. btw is the yz is not good for trails maby i can buy some stuff to make it good for trails

You'll have more fun on the Yz no doubt. If you're just purely trail riding and maybe put putting the 230 may be more practical. But then again you will have more fun on the 125. Age doesn't really matter my man, you aren't on the road. You should be able to handle it just fine at your height and weight.

yah the yz sounds so much more fun. so you think i will fit fine on the yz?

Your weight is almost too much for a 125, but being a beginner you'll be fine.

well my mom thinks a 250 2 stroke is too big so not sure what other 2 stroke i can get. but i stil think my xr100 is fun so im sure the yz125 will be more then a nuff

well my mom thinks a 250 2 stroke is too big so not sure what other 2 stroke i can get. but i stil think my xr100 is fun so im sure the yz125 will be more then a nuff

Coming from a xr100, a yz125 will be plenty, you're jumping from around 9hp to just north of 30hp

Get the 125 you won't regret it, fun bikes. And people say they lack low end power, thats what the clutch is for. 125s are cheap to rebuild, so in my opinion, the piston and clutch are meant to be ABUSED. And then you just replace them when they are worn out.

Go with the 125. You will get bored of the 230 within a week. You are also a good size for it. Im 5'7" and 122 lbs and ride a yz125. The yz will do just fine in the trails...You just have to learn clutch control. Get some seat time on the yz and you'll get the clutch down no problem.

Edited by YzShelby394

I have a 08 YZ125 and it's a GREAT woods bike IMO.

Get a  2006 or newer YZ they have the best suspension.

The 230 is a heavy turd and you will get bored with it quickly.

Good Luck!

I'm 14 and I have a CRF230, great bike if you ride it strictly on trails. It's not a bike to jump. I jumped it once and I heard SMACK. It has great potential but that requires $$$. Especially with the suspension mods you would have to do to make it jump-ready.

What is your price range?

Edited by CRFRIDER1998

I did some searching on Craigslist in Iowa and the prices go accordingly. Yz250F years 2003-2006. Prices 1500-2000 in a good condition. Ktm 125 years 2003-2006. Prices 1600-2300 in good shape. Yz125 years 2000-2004, I didn't see anything newer except a 2010 but that was 3500$. Prices 1000-1700, the nicest ones were in the 1500 range. Remember these are the asking prices so you may be able to get $100.00 or more off. Hope this helped. Good luck and keep us updated :thumbsup:  P.S. I seached in Iowa City.

Edited by CRFRIDER1998

At your age I'd go for the 125 two stroke before a 250f just because of the the lighter weight and the 125 TS is a great learning bike/Stepping stone to larger cc bikes like the 250f and 250TS. The YZ125s and KTM125sx were great the Honda Cr125s were good to, but certain years were better then others.

Don't go with a 250f if you're not planning on racing, one that isn't taken care of properly can be a major money pit. If you're not racing it's not worth it. I'm 5'10" 155lbs and the yz125 hauls me around just fine no matter where I ride.

I've ridden a yz125 and a rm125. They are both great bikes. The rm seemed to have more top-end power. The yz had more torque and low-end power, but that is just how they felt to me and my riding style. Pick the one you can get in the best condition and price. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, that's my .02.

Edited by CRFRIDER1998