Rekluse Clutch

Okay so this past weekend I broke my shift shaft on my yz250, any ways my uncle offered me his YZ450 to ride in my 2nd moto.

Right before I left he said make sure you use the clutch to shift because it has a rekluse in it.

Well when I ride my yz250 I hardly ever use the clutch! I down shift without the clutch and let it engine brake and then pull the clutch in for a second while going through the corner. And when accelerating I just put a tad bit of upwards pressure on the shifter and when the bike hits the right RPMs it shifts by itself. ZERO CLUTCH. Not using clutch to shift maybe why the shift shaft broke but that's not my concern right now.

I rode like absolute shit with the recluse because I had to force myself to use the clutch to shift and it was very un-natural for me + the yz450 was crazy fast!

So my question is, do you need to use the clutch when shifting a bike with the rekluse clutch in it? I know shifting without it is harder on the transmission and shifter but that's the way I ride and don't plan on changing it. But will it affect or damage the bike any more with a rekluse in it? Thanks

Edited by rahm255

What model Rekluse?

Z-Start or EXP?

There is NO CHANGE to your riding style with a Rekluse, at least with the EXP for certain.   I don't know why people feel the Rekluse changes ANYTHING at all in the way you ride.   All it does is prevents you from stalling.  NOTHING changes.

You should never "drag" pressure on the shift lever. By doing that, you are putting pressure on the shifting drum and shifting forks constantly.    You SHOULD twitch the throttle closed when shifting to prevent damage to the inner shifting mechanism, but the clutch is NOT needed when you back off the throttle for a split second.   Probably the only reason you "had to" use the clutch on the 450 is because the shifting forks, shifting dogs, and idler gears were not beat all to crap inside, and so they actually had good strong engaging points.

I never upshift or downshift with my clutch, but you MUST back off the throttle.

Edited by DethWshBkr_
  • Like 1

There is NO CHANGE to your riding style with a Rekluse, at least with the EXP for certain.   I don't know why people feel the Rekluse changes ANYTHING at all in the way you ride.   All it does is prevents you from stalling.  NOTHING changes.

Exactly...  Most people that don't have them, and some that do have them (but not set up right) don't seem to understand that...

I thought the recluse was the one where you didn't need to use the clutch?

Should be easier to ride without using the clutch if you have a rekluse clutch. That's my understanding of them anyways.

Don't need to use the clutch?  When?  When your idling...?  No, if its set up right, you don't need to use the clutch to put it into gear when idling.  When you bring your rpm's up above idle, the fact that you have a rekluse becomes immaterial...  its locked up solid like your stock clutch. (How high above idle you get before its locked up is adjustable to some extent)

Easier to ride? As long as your only referring to someone who can't let the clutch out smooth enough for acceleration, stalling the bike, or for using the wrong gear, yes, its easier.

One of my bikes came with a Z-Start... (works exactly like the EXP, although the parts are different)

I put a EXP in the other.  I was having issues stalling in corners.  Instead of working on my technique, I used the easy fix of getting the auto clutch.  I ride as if its not there.  I still 'clutch it' coming out of corners, if its a corner that I would have 'clutched it' previously without it.  I have never used the clutch shifting, but I always ALWAYS ease of the throttle when shifting.  If I want an extra burst somewhere, you can still slip the clutch, or do anything you would normally do.

The one thing I do not like about either of the clutches, is that without the clutch, when your really down low in the rpm's, you can feel that pulsating deep grunt of its tractable torquey power. With the rekluse clutch, you lose that...  when your down that low, the clutch is slipping.  Its not like it changes a lap time, its just more of a feeling kind of thing.

Edited by 98cr250r

I thought the recluse was the one where you didn't need to use the clutch?

Correct.   You don't ever have to touch the clutch if you won't WANT to, but you can.     Pretend the Rekluse is a little gremlin sitting on your bars, and he will pull in and release your clutch lever for you when you are slowing down to a stop, accelerating from a stop, or slam on the rear brakes.    That is a Rekluse.   It will not feather your clutch for bursts of high RPM grunt, but you can do that just like you would do it now.   If you want to grab the clutch for any reason at any time, you can, you just don't have to in order to prevent stalling.

Can't say enough about my z-start rekluse in the Ktm. It lets me do Very technical single track with out stalling. It will fix most of your clutching mistakes in a race when your winded. You don't have to use the clutch, but as said you should let off the gas when shifting so your not loading the tranny. The hot woods setup is to change the clutch lever side to a rear brake. This gives you ultra finesse in the woods. I don't have that yet but think I want to try that. One problem I don't like is hill climbing uncertain hills.... There is no stopping the rear wheel when you can't get to the rear brake with your foot. So rolling back from a stall or whatever, was my first lesson. Those clutches can be tuned to your liking. Some run it like a stall converter. I run medium, not soft or hard start. I like it right in the middle. You basically just change a couple of the steel balls with some heavier tungsten balls.