1995 cr259

I just bought my first 2stroke, a 1995 cr250. What is the general maintenance, and what should I do before I go ride? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you don't have it, you should buy a manual.  From there, check/lube/replace bearings.  Make sure the air filter is clean and oiled.  Check trans fluid.  If you aren't sure when the last time a top end was done, it would be cheap insurance to go ahead and change it out as well.

General maintenance is pretty simple.  Clean and oil air filter frequently and change trans fluid around every 10 hours of ride time.  Of course, general maintenance can vary based on how you ride the bike as well.  The service manual is key.  It will answer 99% of your questions about the bike.

Edited by KcDavis

If you don't have it, you should buy a manual.  From there, check/lube/replace bearings.  Make sure the air filter is clean and oiled.  Check trans fluid.  If you aren't sure when the last time a top end was done, it would be cheap insurance to go ahead and change it out as well.

General maintenance is pretty simple.  Clean and oil air filter frequently and change trans fluid around every 10 hours of ride time.  Of course, general maintenance can vary based on how you ride the bike as well.  The service manual is key.  It will answer 99% of your questions about the bike.

^this.

Make sure to mix the gas and oil. 32:1 is common for cr2-fiddy's. Have fun with the new bike!

My kick starter works fine. it just doesn't spring all the way back up vertical after starting and it wiggles back and forth about 3 inches while riding. Does anyone know what i need to fix this?

My kick starter works fine. it just doesn't spring all the way back up vertical after starting and it wiggles back and forth about 3 inches while riding. Does anyone know what i need to fix this?

kick-start return spring is probably stretched.