Sign in to follow this  

Making CRF 450R street legal

I have several CRF 450s and was curious as to what modifications I need in order to make a bike street legal. I'm in Colorado and I'm not concerned with what requirements I need.

I'd like to know what kind of stator or any other electrical components are necessary for the conversion.

Thank you for your help in the matter.

Baja Designs stator rewind (don't recommend any other company to do this....)

Baja Designs, or other, Dual Sport harness, rectifier, bar cluster switch, and mini-battery (so running light stays on with motor off)

Headlight and taillight/lic plate holder

Turn signals (probably optional in CO)

Hydraulic brake light switch (rear and/or front)

Most of this stuff can be purchased as a bike/model specific kit.

Baja Designs components last as long as the bike will last.

Can't say that about most of the other brands out there.

Stay away from Dual Sport America, no matter how tempting their special offers are.

Could not agree more. Only thing you need to make sure you have is a horn. I got mine street legal there. It was easy. you will need a vin verification as well. You can get that done at the state patrol yard. The one in Castlerock is awesome.   

Why is that?

The reason as I understand it is that the CRF transmissions are designed to run in a minimum of oil for MX, so as to increase acceleration, and because of the rough terrain, the components receive constant 'bathing' in oil. When you go dual sport, the constant rpm and smoother surfaces mean that certain gear bearing surfaces will get hotter due to prolonged rpms, and the lack of rough terrain means they can get oil starved. In some years,('05)  the 3rd/5th gear can actually seize on the the shaft. You can upgrade to a gear with oil trace grooves on it's bearing surface, but using the 1qt is the other 'fix' to getting those components all the oil and heat transfer they need.

Krannie has it about 90% dead right. 

The trans is oiled via the primary drive gear picking up oil and throwing at the trough at the top of the cases and then it gets dumped across the top of the gears in the trans. The location of 5th is all the way to the other side of the trans. The oiling method literally is a spaghetti method, throw it a the wall and see what sticks type deal. Most MX bikes never run in 5th for more than 20-50 seconds around an MX track. The guys that found the inadequate oiling first were super moto guys and there is one guy that used to be on here that used the engine for a Kart. Apparently it hauled ass, but had a very short life span. The trans just doesnt oil well enough to buzz down the road at 60 mph unless you either drown it in oil, or correct the oiling issue on the gears themselves. 

The reason as I understand it is that the CRF transmissions are designed to run in a minimum of oil for MX, so as to increase acceleration, and because of the rough terrain, the components receive constant 'bathing' in oil. When you go dual sport, the constant rpm and smoother surfaces mean that certain gear bearing surfaces will get hotter due to prolonged rpms, and the lack of rough terrain means they can get oil starved. In some years,('05)  the 3rd/5th gear can actually seize on the the shaft. You can upgrade to a gear with oil trace grooves on it's bearing surface, but using the 1qt is the other 'fix' to getting those components all the oil and heat transfer they need.

where I can get bearings with oil trace grooves ? I got 2009 crf450 and planning to use it in the street