Cleaning bike

Do not use a pressure washer! Please watch my video on how to correctly wash a dirt bike in a way that makes all the plastics and parts last longer. http://m.youtube.com/#/user/NBMotocross3?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2FNBMotocross3

Yes you do want to cover the air filter. Put a plastic bag or two in the boot, then around the airfilter once or twice, then put it in like you normally would.

I use a water blaster too. Just not directly up the pipe or on the linkage bearings. I have never covered the carb either.

Often follow it up by using a car brush with a little bit of washing powder in warm water to really make it sparkle if I am in a fussy mood.

I almost always start it and run it again afterwards for a few minutes because I would rather find out if I have flooded it just after a ride than right before one ?

I have even been known to put ArmourAll polish on the plastics.

I switched to a garden hose, brushes, and chemicals after replacing my shock, swingarm, and linkage bearing. It was disgusting, not only did the power washer blow ALL the grease out over time, the water rusted the bearings, blew tons of dirt into the bearings, and most were completely seized up. Even if you avoid this area, the water that repels off the areas you are spraying are still very high pressure and it can get beyond those seals, its hard to control where this goes. 

I have experienced 2 downsides from switching, one I can't stop at the car wash and power wash it there and use their cleaning chemicals, and two it takes a little longer to clean. But I will gladly trade that for longevity and proper function of the bearings after seeing what a difference it makes in your rear suspension.

I switched to a garden hose, brushes, and chemicals after replacing my shock, swingarm, and linkage bearing. It was disgusting, not only did the power washer blow ALL the grease out over time, the water rusted the bearings, blew tons of dirt into the bearings, and most were completely seized up. Even if you avoid this area, the water that repels off the areas you are spraying are still very high pressure and it can get beyond those seals, its hard to control where this goes. 

I have experienced 2 downsides from switching, one I can't stop at the car wash and power wash it there and use their cleaning chemicals, and two it takes a little longer to clean. But I will gladly trade that for longevity and proper function of the bearings after seeing what a difference it makes in your rear suspension.

its more likely riding did that to your bearings. They are at the bottom of the bike, exposed to every element.

its more likely riding did that to your bearings. They are at the bottom of the bike, exposed to every element.

I have to disagree, I have seen grease in the linkage area after power washing even trying my best to avoid that area. I still would probably use a power washer if I needed it in a pinch, but thats just my experience and I can get the same results with a garden hose just takes a little extra work.

yeh screw all that you dont need to cover anything if you know what you are doing. Sorry guys i wash my bike every ride with a pressure washer and its just fine, sure dont hit the bearing or carb to hard but with proper maintenance you should have no problems. Do you see and factory teams covering carbs ?

I always use a power washer. Just be carefull. I usally remove the airfilter and put a wash cover on. Or just put ducttape around the numberplate wholes and around the seat. Plug the exhaust and don't spray any suspension componets. Should be good

I use blue painters tape recently to cover the air box holes.  Wouldn't duct tape leave some residue :thinking:  I lay the bike on it's side with one handle bar on the bike stand to get underneath.  Been pressure washing bikes since 2002 with no issues.

I put the butt plug in the pipe, wash cover in the airbox, seat back on and fire that pressure washer up! Spray my brains out being careful around bearings and seals. Leaf blower to help dry. Seat back off to wipedown airbox and cover. Fresh air filter and take it for a short run up and down my road. Wd40 and green scothbrite boot marks off aluminum frame. Wipe it all down with an old clean towel, lube the chain, and maxima sc1. Good to go!

Never ever will I use a powerwasher. A pretty bike isn't worth having to replace bearings 10x more than normal. now if you are riding in really nasty stuff, and your hubs are under muddy stuff for long periods of time that will do them in as well, but if it's just normal stuff, they should last 10x longer than any powerwashed bike. 

If I want a really clean bike I will take the time, and use my hands, brushes. powerwash is just the cheat way, and saves time.

I own a pressure washing company that mainly does "Soft" washing of residential houses and commercial structures...yes, you can "pressure wash" a bike without harm, do it all the time. The key is to use less pressure and use cleaners to chemically release the soils, dirt, whatever. 

Use the black tip that came with your washer, it brings down the line pressure and you can still use it as a washing tool.

A pwere washer is a pretty bad idea, sure tons of peopole use it, and tons of people will swear on it, but its probably as bad for gaskets as it is bearrings, there's actually a lot of things on your expensive dirtbike that don't like pressurized water, and no the pros don't spray their carbs, they don't have any carbs, they do powerwash like noones business, because seat foam and bearrings are disposable to them, call it overkill but when I was my bike i take the seat, subframe, and number plates off, then plug the atual carb and the end of the pipe, then inn take the tank/ plastics off and will spray the back with a hose, like rims/swingarm, then front rim, and tip the bike over and get the bottom clean, then idividually clean whatever platics are off, and the weird crevics in the tank, and then let it dry and put it back together and run it for a few minutes, idk about anyone else but that takes me about 25 minutes, teardown is a breeze on my bike so I don't mind, lol easiest bike I've ever taken apart