Ttr 230 ds

So guys I've been mulling over the thought of turning my 230 into a dual sport for short trips to save gas and exploring trails but the issue is as I'm 16 I have a razor thin budget so this is pretty much my only option. So I called my local Yamaha dealer to ask if they could make my title go from orv to street and they recommended me a local shop that often does this so I called there and found out that once I had my Baja designs kit on I could give it to them they would do an enhanced inspection sent every thing to the DMV then I would get the new title then they would get the bike plated and it would be 100% legal. The only mechanical thing I was really thinking of doing was adding a tooth to the counter sprocket to add more top end range. So what are some things I should be aware of / tips etc

Shoe string budget and Baja Design don't go together! Look at some of the off brands like Tusk. Do the work yourself and take it to where you get your inspections done. Middleman will make it easy for you but why pay the extra for this?? Another option is plate it in Ohio and transfer it to Pa with just a quick yearly inspection. Know anyone in Ohio?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/227/1156/-/26723/Tusk-Motorcycle-Enduro-Lighting-Kit-with-Handguard-Turn-Signals?term=duel sport kit

You'll likely want to go up 2 teeth on the front sprocket.  These bikes are geared unbelievably low.  We went from 13 to 14 and it's still geared very low, 15t requires some clearancing with a dremel but it's what you'd want for street riding. My son is 18 now and has LOVED his for the past 2 years. 
As noted, Tusk will be about $200 less than Baja D, but not as "plug and play" as BD.  

In Indiana, we can install the kit ourselves and pay the police $15 to come and inspect it, they fill out a form that we take to BMV. OR you can take the bike to the BMV and they will inspect it for free.  (here)

Edited by MindBlower

I converted my ttr225. It was a complete pain as the bike was stolen and recovered before I bought it. Also, it had a title at some point in its life and the seller said there was not one. So after I installed the light kit and had it inspected and bonded because of the prior theft the DMV told me that if the prior owner had just gotten a copy of the title for $8 I could have saved hundreds. It was a long ordeal just to get it street legal and add in the extra title recovery stuff but it was worth it. I really like that its small and relatively light. Great for around town and still fun exploring dirt roads and such.

I have the Baja kit and it went on quickly and works great. In Colorado I don't need turn signals but I think I'll add some stealth ones at some point.

I dual sported my crf230f. While it's fun on the local streets, I spent way too much money on it. I wish now I had waited a year and just bought a crf250l. I would of had less money in it and would be able to hit the highways for short jaunts. Ever after regearing it will only do around 65 screaming. It is ok for around town use though.

Thankfully I found a shop that can do it start to finish and if there is any issue along the way what I decided to do is just to bail on the idea and return the kit and most likely sell the bike and go with a cheap crf 250l

I wanted to do something like this but the insurance company said it would be 9k or more a year to insure me. And now I have a truck I still cant adford to insure.

But im in ontario canada so it will most likely be different for you.

Thankfully I found a shop that can do it start to finish and if there is any issue along the way what I decided to do is just to bail on the idea and return the kit and most likely sell the bike and go with a cheap crf 250l

That's a quIck $2500 jump!

What's your bike worth there?  

I rode the new 250l and it much sower and lacks the fun factor off road vs. a 230. I personally feel you will be going backwards in bikes just to save $500. There are loops to get this done easy, one of them is plating in Ohio. If you are on the western side of PA I can help.

My son's  2005  was plated by the original owner (Indiana) and has had maybe 1,000 miles put on it in the 3 years we've had it. (-500 from orignal owner). Superb condition.  New FMF exhaust, Uni filter, re jetted, new 14 and 15t front sprockets. , Trailtech Vector digital speedo, Acerbis head/taillights with integrated turn signals, horn, slim switchgear. 
He's riding my plated Xr400 now and we're probably going to sell the TTR this winter. 

I'ts a really nice looking bike. We've gone trailing with it 3 times, otherwise him on around the neighborhood stuff. Never wrecked. 

We'll probably ask $1800 or so and I'll figure to get 1700. That's plated and ready to roll and really really clean.

If you can sell yours for close to that, I'd guarantee you won't find a cleaner dual sported 230 out there.

The 250L has no more power and 300lbs to lug around. I'ts a real slug. and cheasy weasy suspension. (even worse than the ttr)  That's why it's so cheap to buy.   ?

I've got a set of YZ125 forks/triples for it (or yours)  too if you want to go crazy.  

The TTR really is a nice smaller sized bike.   

Edited by MindBlower