Sign in to follow this  

How powerful is the 1981 yz465?

what is the powerband on this bike?? i would like to also know the specs, like seat height, suspension, engine, etc

i hear alot about the yz490 venom as being an extremely powerful bike and literally hurting anyone who rode it, how does the 465 compare to the 490?  

what is the powerband on this bike?? i would like to also know the specs, like seat height, suspension, engine, etc

i hear alot about the yz490 venom as being an extremely powerful bike and literally hurting anyone who rode it, how does the 465 compare to the 490?  

When thinking of the vintage bikes, you really need to throw out everything you know about bikes in current production.  You need to get into the way-back machine and understand that you can only compare them to other bikes of similar vintage.

For its vintage, the YZ465s were the absolute cream of the crop in open class MX bikes.  They ruled in '80 and '81 and you could literally buy one on Saturday and have it dialed in for your races on Sunday.

The suspension was top notch for the era.  The best rear suspension....period, and the forks were right there with the best.  The double-leading shoe front brake was the strongest available and at least as good as the early disc brakes (which were still a few years away for MX bike), although it was a little tricky to get adjusted properly.

The motor, what to say other than it is a legend for its power, torque, and smooth delivery.  There really was nothing else comparable to it back then.  Over 50hp from the factory was unheard of until Yamaha did it with the YZ465.  Yes, the later model YZ490s had well over 60hp, but the 465 is widely considered a better all around engine.

Yes, the YZ490 was a handful and could put you in the hospital very easily if you caught a case of whiskey throttle when you least could afford it, but all of the open class smokers could and can do that to you.  Both the YZ490 and the YZ465 have way more power than 98% of us mere mortals could ever really use.  But it is really nice to know you have it available.

^^^i thought suzuki had the best rear suspension with the full floater in 1981? 

^^^i thought suzuki had the best rear suspension with the full floater in 1981? 

I had forgotten that the Full Floater debuted in 1981.  That was definitely a very good rear suspension and was arguably the best of the major manufacturers rear suspension for '80s.

I had forgotten that the Full Floater debuted in 1981.  That was definitely a very good rear suspension and was arguably the best of the major manufacturers rear suspension for '80s.

agreed,  it was a long time ago after all  :D