Sign in to follow this  

New to the KTM 2smoker club

Picked up a 2012 250xc-w the other day. I guess the previous owner didn't care much for motorcycles and decided he wanted another quad instead. He purchased it as a left over in July.It has all of 80.1 miles or 3.5 hours on it. Not sure why I bought it other than it was impulsive and totally irresponsible on my part. My 01cr250 runs just fine but I'm sure I can get use to xc-w. Soooo, Please be patient when I hit you with the newb questions that I can't find answers to with the "search" button.

Picked up a 2012 250xc-w the other day. I guess the previous owner didn't care much for motorcycles and decided he wanted another quad instead. He purchased it as a left over in July.It has all of 80.1 miles or 3.5 hours on it. Not sure why I bought it other than it was impulsive and totally irresponsible on my part. My 01cr250 runs just fine but I'm sure I can get use to xc-w. Soooo, Please be patient when I hit you with the newb questions that I can't find answers to with the "search" button.

How much do you weigh (suspension)?  What level of rider/racer are you?  What terrain do you ride??  Was your CR suspension setup for you by springs/revalving? 

How much do you weigh (suspension)?  What level of rider/racer are you?  What terrain do you ride??  Was your CR suspension setup for you by springs/revalving? 

I weigh 220 all dressed for the parade.  Slightly  faster than a turtle, "c" level enduro,,, over 50. 90% single track. My cr was never revalved but I did swap out heavier springs.

I weigh 220 all dressed for the parade.  Slightly  faster than a turtle, "c" level enduro,,, over 50. 90% single track. My cr was never revalved but I did swap out heavier springs.

You will be well served running the red power valve spring because your CR was very pipey, so the red PV spring is the hottest of three choices and is what I run.  Even though it's the fastest of the springs, the red spring still allows plenty of control in the lower RPMs to torque your way up nasty rocky hills.

If you want a smooth bottom to mid with a harder pulling top end, get the FMF Fatty pipe. 

Suspension springs for your weight are the most important though.  The stock valving is fine, especially running the C class and just trail riding.  You will be absolutely amazed at how smooth the suspension is offroad compared to the CR.

Since I'm 6'1" I got 1 inch bar risers from Scotts, it's the sub-mount system for the damper.  That's the best thing I did next to suspension springs, because I stand a lot while riding but was hunched over unlike the 5'10" men that the KTM is designed to fit.

Edited by LovingOffroadPain

Since I won't have my manual until Tuesday {p.o. is UPSn it to me }. Can someone confirm how many cc's or liter's of oil on a change and a torque spec on the drain plug ? Thanks

23 oz. The drain plug is supposed to have a copper washer on it too..sometimes they fall in the oil and is lost ...just snug up the plug no need to torque it.

• Like 2

Since I won't have my manual until Tuesday {p.o. is UPSn it to me }. Can someone confirm how many cc's or liter's of oil on a change and a torque spec on the drain plug ? Thanks

I only have a 2013 but I assume the 2012 is pretty much the same.

Fill it until it comes out the oil level check bolt hole. The torque spec on that little bolt is 7.4 ft-lb but I put less torque than that. I snug it up tight with a nut driver.

Drain plug torque spec is 14.8 ft-lb. I again err on the light side.

Edited by Badunit
  • Like 1

Rick

On mine, I am running 44's on the front and a 7.6 on the rear.  I weight in at about 210 in the buff.  I cant remember what the stock springs were maybe 42 front and 6.9 rear??  I have a 7.2 sitting in the garage if you want me to bring it so you can try it out this weekend, I am betting for  your weight you would be 42 and 7.2.

800 cc of gear oil is required.  But if you use the oil check bolt below the water pump, the oil will start spilling out of that waaay before you pour 800 cc into the gear box.  Drain it thoroughly, then put in 800 cc and you're good.

Anytime I've torqued bolts, they've stripped.  Like my oil check bolt.  Forget it, I've gotten very good at torquing most bolts by hand without issue.  Though I do torque my shock bolts and triple clamp bolts every ride, just to ensure they are snug.