Considering the 200xc, new to the Orange bikes?

I have a couple q's about the 2007 200xc.  I hear people like the xc transmission even in tight trails for a taller first gear, and less gaps.  Do they really lug down low better than a say my cr250 with a flywheel weight and low gear's?  I also read and old dirtrider mag review that said the xc-w has plusher suspension and the xc has stiffer. That bummed me out I'm not looking to go fast I want something that will be plush over roots and rocks.  Can the xc be adjusted to feel plush and handle more like the xc-w?  There's one for sale and I want to get it I have a feeling it will still be plusher than my cr and better suited for my style of riding.  Any opinions and advice appreciated. :ride:

I don't know about the 07, but I had the 06 200xc and it was the best woods bike that I have ever owned. The suspension was perfect and the bike was super nimble. When I would hit the open fields, it seemed like the mx bikes would pull away, but as soon as I got back into the woods it would eat them up. It's a woods rocket! I have had the 250exc, and currently have a 13 300xc, but I wish I had that 200 back over any of them.

Good luck!

I have a couple q's about the 2007 200xc.  I hear people like the xc transmission even in tight trails for a taller first gear, and less gaps.  Do they really lug down low better than a say my cr250 with a flywheel weight and low gear's?  I also read and old dirtrider mag review that said the xc-w has plusher suspension and the xc has stiffer. That bummed me out I'm not looking to go fast I want something that will be plush over roots and rocks.  Can the xc be adjusted to feel plush and handle more like the xc-w?  There's one for sale and I want to get it I have a feeling it will still be plusher than my cr and better suited for my style of riding.  Any opinions and advice appreciated. :ride:

XC-W suspension is for "trail riders," it's not as aggressively set up.  XC can be ridden harder, longer, and take a harder pounding.  I ride a 300 XC-W, but I wish I had bought the XC because I race more than trail ride.

But the XC suspension can be tuned to your riding ability and desires.  If you want plush, click out the compression to soften the damping.  I would go with the XC for sure.

XC-W suspension is for "trail riders," it's not as aggressively set up.  XC can be ridden harder, longer, and take a harder pounding.  I ride a 300 XC-W, but I wish I had bought the XC because I race more than trail ride.

But the XC suspension can be tuned to your riding ability and desires.  If you want plush, click out the compression to soften the damping.  I would go with the XC for sure.

I have a 13 XCW, I race a little...lol....I think the XCW suspension is very good for racing if properly setup and I personally prefer the PDS system.  Just about any suspension as long as it is quality components can be made to work in just about any situation.  I will admit the W was a little soft at first but I changed the front fork oil weight and oil height and now the suspension is as good as I have ever had from a stock valving.  I am getting ready to send it off for a rebuild and a revalve by TBT suspension to make it even better. 

And yes the XC from 2007 can be set up to feel almost exactly like a XCW.  My advise is look for a 2008 or newer bike though if possible.  The 2008 and up chassis are much better handling.

• Like 1

I have a 13 XCW, I race a little...lol....I think the XCW suspension is very good for racing if properly setup and I personally prefer the PDS system.  Just about any suspension as long as it is quality components can be made to work in just about any situation.  I will admit the W was a little soft at first but I changed the front fork oil weight and oil height and now the suspension is as good as I have ever had from a stock valving.  I am getting ready to send it off for a rebuild and a revalve by TBT suspension to make it even better. 

And yes the XC from 2007 can be set up to feel almost exactly like a XCW.  My advise is look for a 2008 or newer bike though if possible.  The 2008 and up chassis are much better handling.

My local shop owner rode the 2008 models and said, "KTM did it, they handle better than my Gas Gas race bike.  Gotta go KTM now!"

I don't know about the 07, but I had the 06 200xc and it was the best woods bike that I have ever owned. The suspension was perfect and the bike was super nimble. When I would hit the open fields, it seemed like the mx bikes would pull away, but as soon as I got back into the woods it would eat them up. It's a woods rocket! I have had the 250exc, and currently have a 13 300xc, but I wish I had that 200 back over any of them.

Good luck!

I also have '06 200, but it's XC-W.

Main difference between that and XC is more plush suspension on rocks/roots for gnarly off-road racing (but not as good as XC for MX-style obstacles), and higher top speed in open areas.

Scooter740 good rave about your old 200 . . . glad I still have mine.:-)

Thanks for all the input and advice guys.  You've made me feel better about going orange! I also run my clicker's all the way out on my cr for more plushness, as LovingOffroadPain suggested.  Just hope the 2007 xc goes plusher that way than my cr?  I already know I'm going to like the engine better just concerned that it's going to be stiffer than I want without throwing money at it.  Would love to hold out for a 2008 but the price is right with this 2007( he came down from 3500 to 2800 and I haven't even looked at it yet).  Going to check it out today I'll let ya know what happens.

The 200 is not gonna have 250 type massive power, with that said, it is one of the most fun bikes ive ever owned. The power is like a 125 on steroids...it has bottom about halfway between a 125 and 250 . They are a blast in the woods. They dont have 250/300 torque to trudge thru snow and deep mud although they could do it but you'd have to work it more. I have no prob keeping up and going anywhere on my 144 and the 200 was similar. Racing, the 250's and up will be walking away in open straights, long uphills and long mud stretches. If you weigh around 200 or less or Not racing they are great....we're all not Shane Watts

We'll I bought it! A 200xc 2007 for 2,700.  I've ridden it twice now and am impressed with it! It has more low end than my cr250 did in my opinion and the suspension is ok.  I just can't believe how well it chugs down low without stalling compared to my 250! This is going to be a great trail bike without really touching it from stock.  I may get softer springs seeing that I only way 135lbs.  Iv'e already turned the clickers almost all the way out and still seems a bit harsh but not bad.  We do really slow tight technical riding over here on Kauai so I think softer springs would be the way to go.  The only thing I don't like about it is the turning radius.    Over here the trails require a tight radius, I see you can adjust it but it will hit the radiators before i'm happy.  But I can live with that for this great overall bike.  Can you put a sx tank on these? Also the guy I bought it from said it was a 2007, but when I got it home I noticed a 29-09-06 tag on it which is day-month-year in europe right? Maybe because it was made in late 06? I know for sure it's not an 09, with the older plastic style. Love my new 200 either way and probably going to change my profile pic, I'm a Orange guy know-haha.

Edited by Ricky7

We'll I bought it! A 200xc 2007 for 2,700. I've ridden it twice now and am impressed with it! It has more low end than my cr250 did in my opinion and the suspension is ok. I just can't believe how well it chugs down low without stalling compared to my 250! This is going to be a great trail bike without really touching it from stock. I may get softer springs seeing that I only way 135lbs. Iv'e already turned the clickers almost all the way out and still seems a bit harsh but not bad. We do really slow tight technical riding over here on Kauai so I think softer springs would be the way to go. The only thing I don't like about it is the turning radius. Over here the trails require a tight radius, I see you can adjust it but it will hit the radiators before i'm happy. But I can live with that for this great overall bike. Can you put a sx tank on these? Also the guy I bought it from said it was a 2007, but when I got it home I noticed a 29-09-06 tag on it which is day-month-year in europe right? Maybe because it was made in late 06? I know for sure it's not an 09, with the older plastic style. Love my new 200 either way and probably going to change my profile pic, I'm a Orange guy know-haha.

Hope you like it! I'm only 13 and a ktm was my first bike . I have ridden everything but exotics, and I love my bike and won't change from orange. Welcome to the orange crew! Edited by 85sx rider 6828