Sign in to follow this  

starter won't turn over, get click from relay, turns over when shorting relay power

I'm having problems with my 2002 drz400S.  I went to start it the other day and got it going, then pushed choke in to early and it died. (kinda normal) But the tried to start again and only got clicking (starter relay).  I trouble shot the relay, and it had correct ohm, but when shorting out power leads to get starter motor to crank, no go.  Replaced Starter Relay, tried again, clicks again, the starter motor turned twice, then no more.  I pulled starter motor, no obvious problems, brushes good, got conductivity.  Battery seems ok, get 13.5volts and keep it on a tender.  I have had issues with it though, and find that I turn the key (headlights and other things come on, voltage quickly drops to 12.2 volts and continues to drop rather quickly)  ='m suspecting battery now, but i'm down 70 from the starter relay and don't want to just replace if there are other suggestions.  thanks  Philip

I just checked conductivity  between starter relay wire and starter motor, good, but then noticed i'm also getting conductivity between starter motor and MOTOR!!! I'm thinking that's not right????!!!  any input??

Did you measure conductivity from the pos post on the starter to the motor?

yes from the positive post on the starter to the body of starter beeps and to metal parts on motor.  Shouldn't the post on the starter be completely isolated from the rest of the starter.  I'm guessing that i'm touching positive with negative.

yes from the positive post on the starter to the body of starter beeps and to metal parts on motor. Shouldn't the post on the starter be completely isolated from the rest of the starter. I'm guessing that i'm touching positive with negative.

yes, the pos post should be isolated from ground. You have a short in your starter