CRF250R or DRZ400E first bike

I'm 6'1" and 220 and mainly will ride trails. Need something pretty fast and reliable. I think I've narrowed it down between the Honda CRF250R and Suzuki DRZ400e. There are a few for sale in my area so I thought I would post the links and you could offer up some insight for me. 

the honda: http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2010-Honda-Crf-250R-110869788

the 2001 drz: http://www.hallsnola...uzuki-dr-z400e/

the 2005 drz: http://www.hallsnola...uzuki-dr-z400e/

I'm planning to pay cash so for the suzuki they will sell the 01 for $1625 and the 05 for $2100. I haven't contacted the honda owner yet but I'm fairly certain I could talk him down.

thanks

Well the 250r will need constant mait. Above and beyond the normal stuff. It is a race bike (as that's what the r is.) It will be plent fast but a huge money pit as well. The drz is more trail friendly. Although a 400 is pretty big and hefty. The drz will require normal mait but you won't sink as much $$ in it as the r.

It all really depends on what type of trail. Wide open lanes, or tight single track technical riding. Both bikes will do both riding styles well. But here's where the similarities pretty much end.

250R: lighter flywheel (more stall outs during tight stuff and more smoke clutches to prevent stall outs)

Lightweight alum frame.

At slow speeds the bike will have a tendency to dump coolant because of lack of required air flow through rads. Not good on trails imo.

Rigorous mait sched.

Really only designed for track riding.

Will probably have to obtain a aftermarket pipe to apply a spark arrestor as they are required for trails and are not for track riding. So if you do buy this bike get a pip with a removable spark arrestor.

DRZ400: heavier to manuver in tigher areas but also heavier flywheel to lug around stuff in trails and to lug you up those daunting hills.

Heavier steel frame but good because in trails you'll be bouncing off stuff. I.e. trees and rocks.

Air cooled for your convenience.

A forgiving mait. Sched.

Spark arrestor in factory pipe.

Quieter engine.

A true dual sport adventure bike. You get this thing licensed and with the proper road ready stuff, you can go riding down the road, see a kick ass trail ahead and just bomb right in instead of having to find a place to park your truck.

This bike was designed for the rigors of the trails.

Sounds to me like the bike your after is the drz friend. If your only about the trails. Grab a drz. Its a fine bike with plenty of power. Parts most likely wont be as a expensive either because it isn't a race bike. You have to factor in how much is this machine and your hobby going to cost to upkeep. Seems to me the choice is clear. But as the saying goes. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. :lol: hope this helps.

*btw I'm sure this has been covered over a million time on this forum. Theres an awesome search I use before I post* cheerz!

Well the 250r will need constant mait. Above and beyond the normal stuff. It is a race bike (as that's what the r is.) It will be plent fast but a huge money pit as well. The drz is more trail friendly. Although a 400 is pretty big and hefty. The drz will require normal mait but you won't sink as much $$ in it as the r.

It all really depends on what type of trail. Wide open lanes, or tight single track technical riding. Both bikes will do both riding styles well. But here's where the similarities pretty much end.

250R: lighter flywheel (more stall outs during tight stuff and more smoke clutches to prevent stall outs)

Lightweight alum frame.

At slow speeds the bike will have a tendency to dump coolant because of lack of required air flow through rads. Not good on trails imo.

Rigorous mait sched.

Will probably have to obtain a aftermarket pipe to apply a spark arrestor as they are required for trails and are not for track riding. So if you do buy this bike get a pip with a removable spark arrestor.

DRZ400: heavier to manuver in tigher areas but also heavier flywheel to lug around stuff in trails and to lug you up those daunting hills.

Heavier steel frame but good because in trails you'll be bouncing off stuff. I.e. trees and rocks.

Air cooled for your convenience.

A forgiving mait. Sched.

Quieter engine.

A true dual sport adventure bike. You get this thing licensed and with the proper road ready stuff, you can go riding down the road, see a kick ass trail ahead and just bomb right in instead of having to find a place to park your truck.

Sounds to me like the bike your after is the drz friend. If your only about the trails. Grab a drz. Its a fine bike with plenty of power. Parts most likely wont be as a expensive either because it isn't a race bike. You have to factor in how much is this machine and your hobby going to cost to upkeep. Seems to me the choice is clear. But as the saying goes. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. :lol: hope this helps.

*btw I'm sure this has been covered over a million time on this forum. Theres an awesome search I use before I post* cheerz!

Mods please remove my second reply. It submitted twice I'm afraid. :huh:

Lightweight alum frame.

Rigorous mait sched.

Bigger rads for your convenience. Aslo has overflow so it won't dump on the ground.

A forgiving mait. Sched.

Quieter engine.

Thanks for the help, pushc. Yeah, I think the DRZ400e is the smarter choice, but for some reason I always imagined owning a honda dirtbike so that's why I suppose I still cling to the idea of getting a CRF250r. The trails are more wide open and flat as I live in Louisiana and so not as much super technical hills or dunes etc. 

Thanks for the help, pushc. Yeah, I think the DRZ400e is the smarter choice, but for some reason I always imagined owning a honda dirtbike so that's why I suppose I still cling to the idea of getting a CRF250r. The trails are more wide open and flat as I live in Louisiana and so not as much super technical hills or dunes etc.

Well add personal preference in there too. If you feel more at home on a honda, who the hell am I to tell you to choose differently? Those were just my two cents. All bikes will do all styles of riding. Just they're built to preform their best on a certain style. So I guess its really all up to you. After all your the one that's going to have all the seat time and have to do the wrenching on your bike. Have fun in your choice and don't regret it. It will make it no fun. And most of all have fun riding. Either bike you choose will give you a ear to ear smile. Have fun!

I'm 6'1" and 220 and mainly will ride trails. Need something pretty fast and reliable. I think I've narrowed it down between the Honda CRF250R and Suzuki DRZ400e. There are a few for sale in my area so I thought I would post the links and you could offer up some insight for me.

the honda: http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2010-Honda-Crf-250R-110869788

the 2001 drz: http://www.hallsnola...uzuki-dr-z400e/

the 2005 drz: http://www.hallsnola...uzuki-dr-z400e/

I'm planning to pay cash so for the suzuki they will sell the 01 for $1625 and the 05 for $2100. I haven't contacted the honda owner yet but I'm fairly certain I could talk him down.

thanks

youre to big for any 250f the drz or a 450 or a 250. 2stroke

Yah , the DRZ will be just fine

youre to big for any 250f the drz or a 450 or a 250. 2stroke

That's a crock. My buddy is 6'5" 250lbs and rides a kx125. Its all about the suspension re-work. Get it all valved right and anybody can ride any bike. I'm 5'5" 155lbs and ride a yz250f. I can barely touch but its ok because my suspension is righr were it needs to be.

I'm looking to get many years of fun out of this bike too, since I'm just starting out I don't wanna drop $7k on something new only for me to realize I don't enjoy it. That's why about $3k would be my ceiling...still have to buy boots, helmet, etc. 

DRZ400e - easy to maintain, great starter bike, not too fast but fast enough, cheap mods

CRF250R- race spec so more maintenance = more expense. faster = more dangerous etc. 

I've ridden my friend's fully modded yz125  some years ago and that thing threw me right off the first time I rode it, way too snappy, however once we got it into an open space i was able to ride it slow and get used to its power however it failed spark plugs left and right. is that something that would occur on the honda if not driven at high RPMs?

thanks

No. 4 strokes rarely ever foul out plugs. Truly if it were me I'd just go with the drz. Because like you said you don't want tk drop 7k into a bike. My buddy races and has an 09 kx250f. He bought the bike for 6k then had to drop another 8k in it along the way. So altogether that's 14k and he's still not happy.

I'm warning you if you get the 250f you're not gonna be happy. You will fit awhile, till you get descent then you'll hate it .

Don't go warning anybody now freestyle. Its not like hell be punished for his decision. Its not yours or my decision anyway. If he feels better on a 250f then let him.

Don't go warning anybody now freestyle. Its not like hell be punished for his decision. Its not yours or my decision anyway. If he feels better on a 250f then let him.

all I'm saying, wich I'm sure most people would agree with me is that 220lbs and 6'1 is big for a 250f

Well that's not true. I don't want to start an endless back and forth on someone else's thread. But as I've stated before, its all about the suspension and how you get it tuned. If he decides to go for the 250 hell have to get it revalved and re sprung and shimmed for his height and weght. Anybody can ride any bike. There no weight or height limit.

Hey tweets both my son he is 17 and I being 41 love our E's. We do a lot of trail riding and this was his first dirt bike. Very forgiving bike that you can lug around but spirited to put a big smile on your face. Very reliable comfortable. I am 6' and 180ish lbs, my son is 6'3' 225ish lbs. We both really enjoy our time on these low maintenance machines and I want an s model now to add to the herd. Look at the 05 better suspension and still has fcr carb still last year for the "real E". Read up in the drz forum for a while.