What is the best camshaft to get for 87 xr600r? Reliability is more important than performance to me

I just bought a project bike and am trying to do some homework before taking it all apart.the head and cam sound really bad. I am the cam and rockers are torched. All the used heads and cam covers on eBay do not include the cam.

What's the best camshaft to use to keep it stock compression and performance etc along with longevity and durability? I see a lot of hot cams ads but they seem like a performance cam, not a stock profile.

Edited by goneballistic

I just bought a project bike and am trying to do some homework before taking it all apart.the head and cam sound really bad. I am the cam and rockers are torched. All the used heads and cam covers on eBay do not include the cam.

What's the best camshaft to use to keep it stock compression and performance etc along with longevity and durability? I see a lot of hot cams ads but they seem like a performance cam, not a stock profile.

All the stock cams are really the same. The best cams are the ones that came with HRC 628 kit but you play hell  finding one! But CW can make you one!

are there companies that offer an aftermarket cam that is stock profile and performance? I think one of the reason these motors last a while is they are not pushed really hard, that's why I want to stay stock or close to it. I've put hotter cams in two different automobiles and didn't like the result either time very much.