Yz250 Wiseco crank review?

Motoxvet I will tell you the problem. I am 3rd generation in my shop. People don't know there local shops anymore because they read everything online as gospel and purchase all there parts online as well. The local shops then only see them when they have everything so frigged up that they have no choice but to take it to a pro. It is sad. Moral of the story buy local and you will always have support and quality advice. A shop doesn't have a problem checking your crank when they see you a couple times a month but when your a stranger who wslks in with your mail order parts it is far less likely to happen.

• Like 1

Go OEM. Quality fuel is so important now with Ethanol making it's way in more and more. Run Sunoco, VP, Trick, ERC or any quality 100+ octane race gas. Yes more expensive, but you won't waste your motor in just a few hours...Again, on the crank go OEM and forget about it. Chaparral or North County Yamaha has good prices.

Mines been in about a year, no troubles. I used a dial guage to set the timing where I like it. I happen to like it 5 deg retarded.

• Like 1

Yeah I'll just use my wiseco crank this year and set the timing. Next year it's oem or hot rods for sure though. So I don't have thought of failure in my mind when I try and clear some big ass jumps!

I used a wiseco crank in my yz85- eric gorr 105cc.

The wiseco crank would not accept the flywheel woodruff key. The stock key was too wide to fit. I had to grind the key until it fit tight and set the flywheel in the middle of the "play". It worked in the long run and wasn't a big deal, but did need to be modified.

Other then that the crank has held up great so far.

• Like 1

In 2010 On my CR250 I had a brand new Wiesco crank blow up on me the day after I put it in, they admitted it was a manufacturing defect and they took care of me though.. Wiseco then paid for a brand new oem crank shipped to my door.... I still use their pistons.

The latest Hotrods are now made in the USA! Got a Hotrods crank that said made in thenUSA on the rod.

Motoxvet I will tell you the problem. I am 3rd generation in my shop. People don't know there local shops anymore because they read everything online as gospel and purchase all there parts online as well. The local shops then only see them when they have everything so frigged up that they have no choice but to take it to a pro. It is sad. Moral of the story buy local and you will always have support and quality advice. A shop doesn't have a problem checking your crank when they see you a couple times a month but when your a stranger who wslks in with your mail order parts it is far less likely to happen.

I would never presume that a shop would do something like that no charge unless I was a regular customer.  If I wasn't I would have wallet out ready to pay.  For something this important, I don't even think about trying to talk them down on price or get it no charge. 

• Like 1

Yeah I don't expect anything for free. Especially in this sport...

But I'm going too try the wiseco crank and I'll just have too rebuild again at the end of the season next year. If I don't feel that it's reliable.

I have a 2005 yz 250 (updated) bought blown up I put a weisco bottom end in the bike and it sounds like the main bearing is already going out. (8hr). The guy before me had a hot rods and it blew up in 18 hours. Got any ideas?

51 minutes ago, Nick Collins said:

I have a 2005 yz 250 (updated) bought blown up I put a weisco bottom end in the bike and it sounds like the main bearing is already going out. (8hr). The guy before me had a hot rods and it blew up in 18 hours. Got any ideas?

Installation error, and/or piston slap, not rod bearing.

Wiseco before Hot Rods, OEM before either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick Collins said:

Can’t be installing error it ran 8 hours fine

Discribe ran fine, and now it sounds like its out? 

You did run oil in the mix yes, and at what ratio? 

1 minute ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

32:1 yamalube and we broke the motor in using 10:1

Just now, Nick Collins said:

32:1 yamalube and we broke the motor in using 10:1

You either got a real old Wiseco (when they had problems som 6 + years ago) or it is someting else. Who built, and was it a first? 

Not saying you did it wrong, but there is always that chance. I've been there and done that too. 

6 minutes ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

????

Tapping noise, clunk as you kick it over, rattling at low RPM, louder at hi RPM? 

Wan't help? Please provide as much detail as you can. There are some good engine builders in here. I'm here now, but on my way out to get more work done on the house. Will check back in latter.

Later, YZDOC