Sign in to follow this  

NSAIDs--for back pain

Bad backs run in the family, I throw mine out a few times a year and take ibuprofen for the pain.  After a week or so I'm usually feeling fine and I stop taking ibuprofen.

But when I was 18 years old, I worked in a wearhouse throwing freight all day, I used to take 2400 mg a day to keep the tendonitis in my wrists under control--but I haven't taken meds like this for almost 10 years.

NSAIDs cause hypertension, that's a given.  My blood pressure is sometimes a little on the high side, despite being in good shape, I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs.  It's usually about 130/75, sometimes 135/80.

Hypertension runs in my family, that's a factor.  Will the heavy use of ibuprofen when I was 18-20 years old cause high blood pressure for the rest of my life?  Is there a better anti-inflammatory substitute that's healthier when I have crippling back pain? 

NSAIDS can create big problems for your stomach too. they can cause pre ulcers.

I have Hip Arthritis so live on Tylenol, Naproxen and Tramacet. I can keep all the doses really low by staying ahead of pain.

I don't take Ibuprofen anymore.

I've read several studies on Naproxen lately that are showing that it is the best choice if your concern is heart related. All them are bad for stomach.

Here's one article that discusses it and the study: http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/therapy-areas/pain-relief/consider-switch-to-naproxen-in-arthritis-patients-gps-urged/20003119.article#.UmYMDjK9KSM

No over the counter medicine is good for you. Let me rephrase that. NO medicine is good for you. I have a severe injury that I still ride with...even though I'm not supposed to. That's beside the point. Don't f@ck with torodol, tramadol, ultram or ultracet. I tried to use some of these medications at first to avoid opiates. Those medications cause stomach bleeding hand of course hypertension and all that. You can try and get your doctor to order you a compound steroid cream which is a pain in the ass to apply. It does work somewhat, but since I use the duragesic patch (fentanyl) I don't really bother to use it on my back because it doesn't last long there. I do use it on my knee though. If you do have a back get it checked out and see about getting on pain management. One can only get "addicted" to opiate pain medicine if you absurd it. I would consider that. OTC medicine isn't designed for long term use and will destroy your body. I know you didn't ask about pain management but I would consider it, sounds like it's pretty bothersome to you.

Edited by Mxerdude179

Get an inversion table, and stretch your hamstrings several times throughout the day. I am just now recovering from 2 "large" bulging discs at l3-l4 and l4-l5. I couldn't even put my own shoes on for about 3 months, it was miserable. I tried NSAIDS, didn't help. I bought an inversion table from a fellow back injury victim and use it every morning before I leave for work, and as soon as I get home get on it again. It is literally in my garage right next to my truck. It allows your vertebrae to pull slightly apart, which allows your discs to get back im where they are supposed to be.

My injury also sidelined me for about 5 months and I became very inflexible in the legs. Once I started stretching my hamstrings it only took a few days before I started feeling better.