Basic Clutch Question

looked thru forums and searched but didn't find answer although I'm sure it's somewhere unless it's so basic no one has asked...

i can't seem to adjust the clutch on my son's '02 RM85 to the point that it will disengage and quit pulling when he stops.  could it be that the plates are worn too thin or is it my inability to adjust correctly?  the clutch lever is adjusted way out and there is no slop so he develops the forearm of popeye after riding the woods for any time.  the clutch pull force is hard to begin with on this bike even after changing clutch cables.

you must have searched for the wrong thing.   But anyway,  pull the clutch cover and check the clutch hub. I'd bet it has deep groves and needs replacement.  Be sure to pull the plates and check the inner hub too because that's probably worn too.

you must have searched for the wrong thing.   But anyway,  pull the clutch cover and check the clutch hub. I'd bet it has deep groves and needs replacement.  Be sure to pull the plates and check the inner hub too because that's probably worn too.

Your referring to the clutch basket which when grooved will not allow the clutch to fully disengage and cause a slight drag....I never heard of someone mention the basket as a hub.....

Edited by originalmonk

Save yourself any further frustration and just grab a Hinson basket ? .

Also. Not sure about the 85's but with the 125's the Suzuki OEM clutches and springs are the best option. I use Venhill Teflon coated cables but IMO they are only an advantage for a short time. I replace them regularly.  

Edited by AddictedToBling

Your referring to the clutch basket which when grooved will not allow the clutch to fully disengage and cause a slight drag....I never heard of someone mention the basket as a hub.....

My mistake.  I meant basket.  I guess I should proof read my posts?  In my defense, I was tired. Can I use that excuse?

My mistake.  I meant basket.  I guess I should proof read my posts?  In my defense, I was tired. Can I use that excuse?

No, I haven't slept through the last 3 days (new born baby on Monday), so if I cant, you cant.... ?

• Like 1