Sign in to follow this  

Looking to install a dual ignition switchgear

ON the newer KTM smokers, they come with a dual ignition switch. I've ridden a ktm w/ this feature where you can change the power from mild to wild on the fly, and it definitely makes a difference.

Just curious if it's possible to have this added to an '05 cr2?

Is this switch built into the design of the bike, or is there an aftermarket add-on that will do

the same?

Sounds like its all in a controller that modifies ignition timing.

Probably too fancy to have flaps in the ports, or exhaust to modify the port-area-timing... then again, most newer sport bikes have this in the exhaust to give it more bottom end.

My question is, why would you want to tame your bike down? Just learn throttle control. They likely tune for wild, then modify timing for "mild" mode. Its very doable with a controller.

This is my shooting blindfolded in the dark though.

I am not good at all with electrical stuff, but I believe the ktm switch adjusts the mapping on the ignition curve. I don't think there is any way to do this with our bikes in stock form. There was a company that sold an adjustable ignition but not sure if it would fit our year 250's or not. I believe it was actually jd jetting that made them but don't quote me on that. I'm sure it would be pretty hard to get ahold of one now and honestly I dont think it would be worth it for the average Joe. It was a cart guy thing. About the only thing I can think of that would do something similar but the effects would be minimal is to have a switch that cuts off the tps sensor and throws the ignition back on a 2d map instead of the 3d map the tps runs on. A throttle cam will help with the throttle control if that's what your worried about. The best mod for these bikes is to take .030 off the bottom of the cylinder. It takes away the crazy mid range hit and makes the bike run fantastic bottom to top. If you do nothing else to the bike that is what you want to do. Any of the reputable engine tuners will do it for about 100 bucks. There are many threads in the section on doing this mod.

I am not good at all with electrical stuff, but I believe the ktm switch adjusts the mapping on the 1) ignition curve. I don't think there is any way to do this with our bikes in stock form. There was a company that sold an adjustable ignition but not sure if it would fit our year 250's or not. I believe it was actually jd jetting that made them but don't quote me on that. I'm sure it would be pretty hard to get ahold of one now and honestly I dont think it would be worth it for the average Joe. It was a cart guy thing. About the only thing I can think of that would do something similar but the effects would be minimal is to have a switch that cuts off the 2) tps sensor and throws the ignition back on a 2d map instead of the 3d map the tps runs on. A throttle cam will help with the throttle control if that's what your worried about. The best mod for these bikes is to take 3) .030 off the bottom of the cylinder. It takes away the crazy mid range hit and makes the bike run fantastic bottom to top. If you do nothing else to the bike that is what you want to do. Any of the reputable engine tuners will do it for about 100 bucks. There are many threads in the section on doing this mod.

well boom there... its a EFI conversion on which you can alter both timing and fuel delivery. Looks like there are a different kits available though pricey to piece together and not something just anyone can tune.

1) Its a map. Likely to be spark vs tps per RPM. Curve fitted values in between.

2) EFI will need an TPS because of 1). No. of maps is unlimited at that point.

3) good to know... i assume you mean from the bottom of the jug rather than from the head? What's the difference?

I am not good at all with electrical stuff, but I believe the ktm switch adjusts the mapping on the ignition curve. I don't think there is any way to do this with our bikes in stock form. There was a company that sold an adjustable ignition but not sure if it would fit our year 250's or not. I believe it was actually jd jetting that made them but don't quote me on that. I'm sure it would be pretty hard to get ahold of one now and honestly I dont think it would be worth it for the average Joe. It was a cart guy thing. About the only thing I can think of that would do something similar but the effects would be minimal is to have a switch that cuts off the tps sensor and throws the ignition back on a 2d map instead of the 3d map the tps runs on. A throttle cam will help with the throttle control if that's what your worried about. The best mod for these bikes is to take .030 off the bottom of the cylinder. It takes away the crazy mid range hit and makes the bike run fantastic bottom to top. If you do nothing else to the bike that is what you want to do. Any of the reputable engine tuners will do it for about 100 bucks. There are many threads in the section on doing this mod.

I agree and have been considering trying my own using a handlebar switch that cuts off the tps and since I just got my new pwk dark this might be the perfect time