CRF 150/230 Project Builds

Yes, you can use your bathroom scale.

You will need a board as close to the same height as the scale and some firm level ground.

Then place the scale under 1 tire and the board under the other. Write down the weight, then swap the scale and the board to the opposite wheels. Write down that weight.

Add both weights together to get the total weight of the bike.

I am told that doing it this way should be accurate +- 1 - 2 lbs from a scale that weighs the whole bike at once?

I been doing it this way since 1970 when racing dirt bikes and since 1986 when I was racing quads.

Anyone else have some input?

It never hurts to have a reference weight.  If for no other reason than to have a starting point for weight loss.  The 2 wheel method is fairly accurate and will give you a good basis not only for overall weight but for bias front/rear.

Swiss

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1386471374.478010.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1386471388.423482.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1386471400.471468.jpg

Progress!! The motor is almost done also. Waiting on a few powder coated parts.

It never hurts to have a reference weight.  If for no other reason than to have a starting point for weight loss.  The 2 wheel method is fairly accurate and will give you a good basis not only for overall weight but for bias front/rear.

Swiss

The type of scale I offten use to calculate dirt bikes weight, is the "wild game scale". Weighing by Spliting the deference. I don't know if I could take that type weighing as accurate. YEAH WOULDN'T TRUST IT!

Get a "WILD GAME SCALE"...hang the bike by it's triple clamp. This way you get the dead weight instead of a guess.

Now I have to have the shock Clevis cut drilled and re tapped. Once that's done I'll send frame out to powder coat and Build some wheels. Still have to get an exhaust. What gearing is everyone using?

Cr85 shock installed. Clevis drilled and re tapped and frame cut away a little for clearance. Air box installed and all looks good. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1387332726.113084.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1387332737.274089.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1387332749.820599.jpg

Now shock and forks get a make over. Heavier springs and a re valve. And frame is going to powder coat.

Cr85 shock installed. Clevis drilled and re tapped and frame cut away a little for clearance. Air box installed and all looks good. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1387332726.113084.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1387332737.274089.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1387332749.820599.jpg

Now shock and forks get a make over. Heavier springs and a re valve. And frame is going to powder coat.

Very nice build. Powder coated parts look good so do the triple clamps.

Thanks! When ever I get a few $$ I throw it at it. It's a slower build than normal but it's been fun so far. I rode it stock and it's a turd!!! I hope it's as fun as everyone says they are!! :)

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1387555442.201347.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1387555458.949211.jpg

Frame and swingarm heading to powder coat. Thinking white. Thinking of white plastic also with a red front fender.

Thanks! When ever I get a few $$ I throw it at it. It's a slower build than normal but it's been fun so far. I rode it stock and it's a turd!!! I hope it's as fun as everyone says they are!! :)

Last Sunday my clutch cable broke on my wr450. Luckily I had the mini with me. Whooped it out and rode with the big boys. Didn't even miss the 450 cannon.

Fun, Yea loads of fun. You'll have a blast on it.

So far.... PPC Powder coated frame and swingarm. BBR 175 big bore. TZR Ported head. Jessie Williams dimples valves. Cr85 forks and shock with BBR Heavy springs and TZR revalve. BRP triple clamp. Renthal bars. Modified CRF 450 Scar foot pegs.

So far.... PPC Powder coated frame and swingarm. BBR 175 big bore. TZR Ported head. Jessie Williams dimples valves. Cr85 forks and shock with BBR Heavy springs and TZR revalve. BRP triple clamp. Renthal bars. Modified CRF 450 Scar foot pegs.

Very clean build. The bike should look great together with all those nice pieces powder coated.

I'm building a set of wheels and have some new plastic on the way. Thanks for all of the great comments so far. It's been a fun build so far!

Any plans for the very delicate kick starter gears?

Maybe a compression release or?

To be honest I have no plans. I have read a few posts of this issue. Is there anyone making gears for this anymore?