split cases on 150sx now have small mystery part.

This is a small tapered copper colored bushing that I found on floor. Anyone have an idea what this is and where it goes? This is what I get for helping the neighbor kid out fixing his bike after he decided to play submarine with it. 

IMAG0627.jpg

IMAG0628.jpg

Edited by Team Craig

I have no clue what that is, but a good mechanic will probably be able to tell you.

Do you suspect it's from the bottom end??  I have a 300 smoker and never saw a part like that while doing my top end recently.  

This is my fear about doing a job like splitting cases without help of experienced mechanic.. I'd end up with a collar washer and two bolts, having no idea where they belong.  DOOHHH!!

Really, nobody has an idea what this part is? 

Really, nobody has an idea what this part is?

No idea where it goes. I would go online and look at a parts fiche. You may be able to locate it that way.

Is it threaded on the inside?

i was looking at the parts  diagrams  and I couldn't  find it   it may be part of an assembly thats sold as a whole??

of course i had to pick a random year   since none was provided  but I doubt they changed much 

Edited by Zimman

This is my fear about doing a job like splitting cases without help of experienced mechanic.. I'd end up with a collar washer and two bolts, having no idea where they belong.  DOOHHH!!

That's a factory secret, makes the bike lighter.....

that would be my fear if I split cases without an OEM manual

LOL

id sign up and ask over at ktmtalk to be honest...

Thank you for all the input guys, I've looked and looked and cannot find where it would go. I beginning to wonder if it's from something else and when I was tapping on the crank when I was pulling the cases apart if it did not fall from under the shelf below the bench??? Scary when you have a part and can't figure it out!

Umm... It looks like a case locator pin to me. It goes in the back of the case right near the output shaft and its just a strengthening/locator pin. You will notice the indent in the case where it fits.

Powerband

it looks like the part of a pair of calipers I have   that always falls apart seen behind the knurled  adjusting nut

why would a locating pi have a round bevel inside ?   it also doesn't look like a well made part IMHO

calipers.jpg

Edited by Zimman

why would a locating pi have a round bevel inside ?   it also doesn't look like a well made part IMHO

IDK, but the outside of it and size look identical to a locating pin. Perhaps they beveled the design to match the screw hole which goes through the center of it for some reason. My spare cases are buried, so I can't check the pin, but its really the only thing that could fall out during disassembly, which is that size and shape. Everything else would be MUCH bigger or look like something pretty straight forward.

10-4  thx

It is not beveled on the outside like an alignment dowel would be.  The inside bevel looks like it might be made for a flat head screw/bolt (like a flat head washer/spacer). It is not a well machined part. It may not be part of the engine at all or part of the bike at all, could be from a tool or something else. I have no idea what it is, though.

i  agree

thats the biotch about not always being able to have an isolated work surface

thats the biotch about not always being able to have an isolated work surface

Maybe worse than having an extra part is when you think you saw out of the corner of your eye a part go flying off but then you can't find anything on the floor and don't see anything missing.

LOL  like a spring loaded part 

I know   that feeling