how to tell if it's a 2005 front end

I found out a guy parting a y_z 250 that cleans it is 2005. I've been recently having problems with my forks, I was gonna buy the woke front end. But I want to make sure that I can take this springs out of my 2005 y_z 125 suspension put it in the 250 suspension. Secondly, what features should i look for to tell its from a 05?

Silver top caps around the outside instead of bronze/copper colored.

Spring rattle...

One thing I look for is where the bottom of the upper tube bells out for the fork seals to sit there will only be one step to the larger diameter. The 06-up forks have 2 steps in this area.

There is another thread in here somewhere that has the answer. Lots of good info and pictures!

I have a set that I pulled off my 05 YZ125 shock and fork. maybe have 10hrs on them at max. look like new if your interested shoot me a offer.

I've got a set of '08 450F forks I'm going to sell soon if you're interested also.

I just don't know if you guys can beat the $400 for forks upper and lower triple trees wheel and axle

I guess it depends on if the new forks need to be rebuilt or not. I don't have a wheel though 

I just don't know if you guys can beat the $400 for forks upper and lower triple trees wheel and axle

$400 for a front end from an 2005 is OK.  Not great, especially considering the amount of work those forks need to work decent.  I can probably be similar to that for a set of much nicer and newer stuff.  The '08's are disassembled right now.  I can put in SKF seals for a bit extra, and get them sprung for your weight for a good price.

Shipping is gonna suck for the wheel, and I think your front wheel is the same anyway.  Will probably just need different spacers.  Triples and fork legs are reasonable to ship.

Im not opposed to this but i already have springs for these forks. Thats what im going off of. What would charge for just the forks, trees and axle?

I've got a set of '08 450F forks I'm going to sell soon if you're interested also.

I would probably need .42 or .40 springs

Here's what the fork cap looks like on the 2006 and up fork....

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381183328.661500.jpg

The springs from the '05 will work on the '06 and later SSS forks - you can use your springs.

The springs from the '05 will work on the '06 and later SSS forks - you can use your springs.

Race tech says i need .42 for a 08 450. Would i be fine with the .38 springs i have?

Race tech says i need .42 for a 08 450. Would i be fine with the .38 springs i have?

Questions:  1.  How much do you weigh?  2.  What type of terrain?  3.  How fast are you (be honest)?  Note that all the online spring calculators are notorious for being wrong.

125, 140 with gear, i have a oversized tank and i run intermediate hare scrambles. Lots of tight to fast stuff all in the woods

For that price watch ebay for  sss stuff.

The .38kg front springs sound about right - be sure to try them first.  Also note that the '05 forks are very harsh in stock trim and need to be revalved by someone who knows these forks.  If you get a chance to upgrade to '06 or later forks; the SSS forks are a much better fork with which to start and will bolt right up to your triple clamps.

Ive been having problems with myfront end and I'm pretty sure there's a possibility it could be something wrong with my trees or a bent axle. So I would like to just change out the whole thing

Edited by KazumaRyu

The .38kg front springs sound about right - be sure to try them first. Also note that the '05 forks are very harsh in stock trim and need to be revalved by someone who knows these forks. If you get a chance to upgrade to '06 or later forks; the SSS forks are a much better fork with which to start and will bolt right up to your triple clamps.

Will the axle and wheel spacers work as well