Weighing The Pig-Take 2.......

...I had hoped to weigh the pig today but just do not have the time..however, i did take a ride over to the scap metal place that i had mentioned earlier to talk to the owner. My co-worker told me that he worked there in the past and that the scale was accurate. I was told that weights and measures inspects it on a regular basis. I received permission from the owner to bring my bike in on my next day off during the week which will be 2 weeks from today.

They are not open on the weekend and are open monday-friday 8-4. So being that i get every 2nd friday off its going to be another 2 weeks. Now this place weighs car batteries, scrap metal, copper ect that the customer brings in. I measured the scale and its 7 ft x 7 ft and its DEAD ACCURATE!!!!! They threw on a 50 lb weight  to show me and it displayed 50.0 lbs. I still had weights in my car and placed a 45 lb plate on the scale and it displayed 45.0 lbs. So there is no disputing accuracy this time! Based on what i have read here on dump scales being in-accurate i am going to take a guess that instead of my pig weighing 284 lbs dry, it might be actually 294 lbs which would still be a 30 lb weight loss. I am under the impression that the majority here claim that from what i have taken off my pig is only 15 lbs lighter which would bring it weighing in at 309 lbs dry, and that anything lighter is only a "myth". I think the myth is about to be broken. Anyone here thinking that i might be right at 294 lbs dry? Am i in for a big shock?.....LOL

Edited by Thumper3

Can't wait to see the results!

I think I should post up in here or kicks if you dont mind. I have a plated 93 xr600. Did my best to lighten it up, we have motorcycle scales here that are good to +/- .5lbs. I'll post up a couple pics

Again, why are you weighing it dry? Dry weight is useless IMO, weigh it in the condition you ride it.

I think I should post up in here or kicks if you dont mind. I have a plated 93 xr600. Did my best to lighten it up, we have motorcycle scales here that are good to +/- .5lbs. I'll post up a couple pics

Yeah go ahead. Just do me a favour and weigh it "dry" if you can. No engine oil or gas or i will never hear the end of it if your bike is not light enough in comparison to mine.

Again, why are you weighing it dry? Dry weight is useless IMO, weigh it in the condition you ride it.

I disagree. Up until a couple of years ago bike manufacturers gave their specs in dry weight not wet. The xr650l is advertised as 324 lbs " DRY" , not wet. I am weighing it dry to get as accurate as possible in comparison to the stock dry weight rating.

Maybe 295 or so.......but really.who cares.......... :devil:

:lol:

B

This guy started a whole new thread about re-weighing a debated lightened pig and HASN'T re-weighed it yet?!

Come on Thumper3, satisfy our curiosity already!

Maybe 295 or so.......but really.who cares.......... :devil:

:lol:

B

Actually i care only because there were a few individuals here that made it a point to enlighten me that there isn't a chance in hell that i lost more than 15 lbs  due to the overwhelming evidence that this has been done in the past that proves it.

This guy started a whole new thread about re-weighing a debated lightened pig and HASN'T re-weighed it yet?!

Come on Thumper3, satisfy our curiosity already!

2 More weeks before i beg for forgiveness before the thumper jury....... :rolleyes:

Haha you guys are funny.

So I happened to ride in today so I did get my bike on the scales.  Sorry but I had just filled the tank about 10 miles ago, full of oil. This bike is a kick only 600R. small baja designs battery for the lights, added an oil cooler...

scale1_zps185c7e2b.jpg

scale_zps5f92d110.jpg

and this 93 XR600R kick only is 278 wet as weighed at the Farmers coop in Lone Tree ,Iowaphoto57_zps1da70bc7.jpg

Waiting to see, thumbs up thumper

Haha you guys are funny.

So I happened to ride in today so I did get my bike on the scales.  Sorry but I had just filled the tank about 10 miles ago, full of oil. This bike is a kick only 600R. small baja designs battery for the lights, added an oil cooler...

scale1_zps185c7e2b.jpg

scale_zps5f92d110.jpg

. So if you take off 20lbs for fuel and oil you should be at 282.5 lbs dry...Oh, this is going to be interesting indeed when i weigh my pig..... :thumbsup:

284lbs, lost 40lbs, may be I'm looking at the wrong thread

284lbs, lost 40lbs, may be I'm looking at the wrong thread

When i weighed my bike at the dump it showed 284 lbs. I am willing to accept that perhaps that scale is not 100% accurate. A few of the self-proclaimed experts here have made it a point to say that the most i have lost is 15 lbs. I took the extra time to find another scale that is accurate and have verified this. So according to them my bike is not going to be any lighter than another 15 lbs which is 309 lbs dry. I am thinking it should still be aroung 294 lbs dry which is " still" a 30 lb reduction which i am told is impossible.......................

recycle scales are notorious for weighing items light 

they are even reported to keep a 50 LBS fake weight to show you how accurate it is 

they can flip a hidden switch at anytime to get closer to accurate or even biased to the customer   if the Dept of weights and measures stops by

recycle scales are notorious for weighing items light 

they are even reported to keep a 50 LBS fake weight to show you how accurate it is 

they can flip a hidden switch at anytime to get closer to accurate or even biased to the customer   if the Dept of weights and measures stops by

Thats why when i was at the scale at the scap metal recently even though they threw on a 50 lb weight to show accuracy i still put my own 45 lb on so that there wouldnt be any doubt. As mentioned the scale was dead accurate. When i get it weighed if some people here still insist that my pig can not be as light as what that scale will say, so be it. This will be my last attempt at weighing...whatever the outcome i am happy with the results of shedding the weight off and imo has made a huge difference in handling ect...

Dude, shut us all up and show us the numbers...

Im rooting for you believe it or not.

The tutorial shoulda been pic heavy from the gates.

EZ

Dude, shut us all up and show us the numbers...

Im rooting for you believe it or not.

The tutorial shoulda been pic heavy from the gates.

EZ

I will in 2 weeks. Just wondering what you think my pig is going to come in at dry? Are you in the "15 lb" crowd?