marginal battery performance?

I hadn't riden my bike for two months. Started it up and rode today for like 3o minutes of trail riding followed by 5 miles of freeway. Idled the bike for 5 minutes and then after washing the summer dust off of it tried to start the bike to return it to the garage and it wouldn't turn over. Trickle charged it over night, and have a green light on the battery tender. Do I have a bad battery or does it just need to be run for like a long time? An hour or more?

That should have been long enough, however it would likely have fared better if you had done the Free Power Mod.

I'd check all connectors leading to/from the battery and use a semi-decent digital meter to measure the battery voltage (batt charger disconnected!) with the key off and key on for 2 minutes(headlight on)

Good advise. I will check the voltage tonight after the two minutes with headlight on...I should expect something in the range of 12-11.75 V? please advise. Thanks.

I think it should be on the high side of 12V, but post up what you find and others will pipe up with more recent experience.

FWIW my battery was reporting 12.9V but would not start the bike....dropping to 5-7 volts during initial cranking.

FWIW my battery was reporting 12.9V but would not start the bike....dropping to 5-7 volts during initial cranking.

Classic example of a battery with a shorted cell or cells.  Lead acid batteries have 6 cells at 2.1 volts each giving it ~12.6 volts when measured across the two terminal posts. Measured with no load it reads good, once more current is being carried when there is a load on the battery the shorted cell or cells go to very low or zero volts and voltage drops for the entire battery pack.  I've had dead batteries that measure good with no load and then drop to 10.5 with a load, indicating a dead cell.

I will pay attention to those details as well about severly dropped voltage and report back what I found. Thanks for all the advise.