Sign in to follow this  

Dear CRF250L Gods, here a fork conversion chart. Go to town.

that is cool and all but,

I think with what ever donor front end you used ... it would still need to be properly set up with the right springs for the weight of bike and rider. 

I also don't think it would be any cheaper either ... I had my forks done by Race Tech for $320.00 complete with all parts and labor. 

Also I myself wanted to keep my bikes factory geometry. Once you start changing things like travel and length the bike will not behave as intended. 

But I suppose if you also matched the new front end with a new rear swing arm and suspension linkage that may be a different story. If you had it professionally tuned as well. 

I am no expert and these are just my thoughts on the subject as I am very happy with my full Race Tech suspension ...   :thumbsup:

That is an awesome chart and thanks for posting ...  :cheers:

• Like 4

What are you thoughts and opinions on the subject of swapping front ends ?

Expensive. :cry:

• Like 3

The way i ride nowa days the stock front end is fine with me--I just don't heal like i used to :cry: :cry: :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Nice to see that several bikes use the same bearings.  They should always be available and should be fairly inexpensive.

I will keep the stock forks and upgrade with different triple clamps and RaceTech internals eventually.  

• Like 4

The way i ride nowa days the stock front end is fine with me--I just don't heal like i used to :cry: :cry: :rolleyes:

Trust me on this one ........ you will not regret the investment in a full Race Tech set up...  :prof:  and you will have more confidence and crash less often. 

It is very much like a steering damper .... and very hard for me to explain properly.... 

Having a properly sprung machine from the pro's is like magic ...   :shocked:

According to Race Tech .... the pre-load would be set from them before I got my rear G3-S shock.  Well I did not believe this and since my bike was being set up for me by a pro .... He made sure to set my pre-load for me when I picked up the bike.... He went thru the process and low and behold to my surprise .... it was spot on and we made no adjustments.

The bike just seems to handle like it is supposed to .... does not matter if I am off road or on road .... It just handles !!! 

The bike never seems heavy or light .... I don't feel as tho it bottoms and I also do not feel as it is too stiff. It kind of rides soft until you find some gnarly stuff ... then it never feels soft or boaty at all .... it just absorbs and keeps on going. 

I can't wait to get a damper because, ... if it does half of what the Race Tech did .... I will be completely satisfied. 

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 4

Nice to see that several bikes use the same bearings.  They should always be available and should be fairly inexpensive.

I will keep the stock forks and upgrade with different triple clamps and RaceTech internals eventually.  

maybe your right but, ... I understood the chart as giving you the correct part number to order to give you the ability to install a different front end. 

i.e..... 2008 CRF250R front end ... triples forks and neck wheel etc....  will require the bearing numbers displayed. 

They are specialty bearings built to size. 

Edited by gnath9

:thumbsup: I ordered my race tech yesterday, It's gonna be around four weeks out  :thumbsup:

Congrats !!! and I am sure you will love it....  :thumbsup:

Please share exactly what you ordered and how you are doing this project. 

How did you answer the questions of where and how you ride and skill level etc ....  :thinking:

I'm just curious ....  :goofy:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

Congrats !!! and I am sure you will love it....  :thumbsup:

Please share exactly what you ordered and how you are doing this project. 

How did you answer the questions of where and how you ride and skill level etc ....  :thinking:

I'm just curious ....  :goofy:

Thanks......I may or may not put it together myself, the rear shock I know I can put on myself...the front I don't know about yet. I will more then likely have a mechanic that I know that says he can do it....

I told them how much I weighed and that I plan on riding 99 percent paved backroads and just in case some very light trails, my skill level is going to be mild because of upper and lower spine issues, in other words....no wheelies, whoopde do's, table tops, double, triples, holeshots, cross ups, etc. :ride:  p.s. I plan on starting my own build tread for kick and jiggles soon. :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

Thanks......I may or may not put it together myself, the rear shock I know I can put on myself...the front I don't know about yet. I will more then likely have a mechanic that I know that says he can do it....

I told them how much I weighed and that I plan on riding 99 percent paved backroads and just in case some very light trails, my skill level is going to be mild because of upper and lower spine issues, in other words....no wheelies, whoopde do's, table tops, double, triples, holeshots, cross ups, etc. :ride:  p.s. I plan on starting my own build tread for kick and jiggles soon. :thumbsup:  

sounds like you done good ...  :thumbsup:

getting suspension done or built for you is a lot like getting a pair of glasses ....

if your not honest with them ... it's only you that will suffer ....  :lol:

• Like 4

HAs anyone here swapped front ends yet??

im interested on how it turned out,

as i want to use 450x forks 

• Like 1

I've been trying to find the same size 43mm tubes  , just to slide in and replace,  but haven't found the last mx year they were on, still not sure when the years and the sizes jump. gotta keep the triples just so all the lighting stuff stays together, so this chart really is about bearings, nothing more, the rest can be modified if needed, but so sweet having an extra couple inches, and then maybe modding the rear linkage for 2. Then u may have something!!