Sign in to follow this  

Talk me into a Beta (400rr)

For months now I've been going back and forth between Beta and KTM...Looking for a 4stroke, 350 with plate.

Coming from a yz250 that beats me up and a WR250R that is gutless after riding the YZ.  Sold the WR already so no going back.

Really the only thing holding me back is I wanted FI, and the 350exc-f has it.  I really don't want to fiddle with a carb anymore.  I've lucked out that I haven't touched the yz's for 2years now (knock on wood) and it runs pretty damn good. Still notice a difference between large elevation and temperature changes...but i digress.

What kind of carb adjustments are you looking at on a 2013 model?  Every ride or just seasonal?  Would you do it over if you could?  Love it, hate it?  you know!

One other question.  I haven't ridden a 350, just assuming it would be perfect.  I've ridden different 250's though and I'm pretty damn sure a 450 would beat me up too.  But there is a 2013 400rr plated bike sitting at the dealer calling my name :cool:   Is that too close to a 450?

Anyone ridden a 350 and 400?????

*forgot...Ride-bit of the 1st gear gnar, once in a while a FS road, favorite is the smooth 2-3gear flowing stuff, (even if it's jeep trails). (and i'm really not good at any of it, LOL)

• Like 1

Ridden my '12 350RS at sea level to 10,000+ ft. Just upped the idle at altitude. Carb is pretty perfect.

Re-started when hot and after a small tip-over, so I'm happy with it.

George @ Uptite set it up.

Edited by glangston
  • Like 2

You want Fuel Injection?  I think it is the biggest marketing hype.  I've ridden carb'ed bikes from 2000 ft to 13,000 feet and never touched the carb.  Sure I could have rejetted every 5,000ft for a 0.1% power difference or something but the bikes ran great and yes there is more power at 3,000 ft vs. 12,000 ft but they all still ran fine (easy to start,idle fine, run thru rev range fine).

On my 2013 520 RS I turned the fuel screw out 1 turn.  That's it.  I'm sure I could do a ton more, I'm sure Chris will come on and reply about the awesome carb mod he had done, but they really run fine stock (and I'm sure they run better with tweaking).

A big big selling point to me was the Beta had a carb, with jetting all sorted out stock.  No high pressure fuel lines.  No filters in the tank to fish out.  No inline filters to clog.  No injectors to go bad. Don't have to beg a dealer to illegally remap it or buy some sort of tuner (and smoosh it into the airbox or something).

Another thing I liked is the Beta's seat height is approx. 1.5" lower than the KTM's. 

And I like the linkage rear suspension better.

And it was cheaper.

And I could do the BYOB and get it all set up exactly the way I wanted when I picked it up.

The advantages of the KTM:  better suspension, more choices for aftermarket stuff (like tanks, etc), probably better resell value, more stuff on eBay, easier to find a used wheel set, etc.

So I say "Go Beta!"  :) 

• Like 3

haha...I've seen a few of your videos Hawaii.  1/2 an hour into one of your rides and I would lose all feeling in my clutch hand on my YZ.  I try to stay away from trails like yours now.  That's why i want something easier to ride.

*edit...well those weren't yours...makes me want to ride on now though!

Well, the dealer is only open M-F so i'll need to see when i can get a day off to actually go look at them.  I still haven't made up my mind, but the prices are close, specially when i can pick up a Beta down the street but the KTM (for a good deal) is 3.5hours each way.

It's amazing how little I can find on the interwebs to read about them.

*Other than protection, I really don't believe in doing mods.

Edited by inspects

haha...I've seen a few of your videos Hawaii.  1/2 an hour into one of your rides and I would lose all feeling in my clutch hand on my YZ.  I try to stay away from trails like yours now.  That's why i want something easier to ride.

*edit...well those weren't yours...makes me want to ride on now though!

Well, the dealer is only open M-F so i'll need to see when i can get a day off to actually go look at them.  I still haven't made up my mind, but the prices are close, specially when i can pick up a Beta down the street but the KTM (for a good deal) is 3.5hours each way.

It's amazing how little I can find on the interwebs to read about them.

*Other than protection, I really don't believe in doing mods.

I don't have anything on my bike that will do anything to change the motor manners. The reason I like the bike so much is because of how the power is right from the factory. If I try to hop it up I'll ruin the bike. Guards , ergos and suspension are the main additions to my bike. As far as vids go I was trying to find specific Beta 400 stuff  so I didn't put any of mine with my 525. I know where there is one local vid with my dealer is riding a street legal 11' Beta 400 RS in tight trail and doing some hill climbing with a bunch of other guys.r 20 yrs younger than me. I see where I've slowed down when I watch their vids. These guys charge and are good riders. ..fun vids  I'll look for that.  This hill is very steep and pretty dam high. ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC4i4fpAsuA

Really Beta's got a hydro clutch too and you don't see the breaks we take when we ride so the clutch hand really isn't taxed too much. The bike does make it easier to me but I did have a hand cramp driving home a few weeks ago. That never happened before. 

This is some recent ride on my 525..not too hard and not going too fast and totally enjoyable . The 400 RS handles better so it's definitely a good buy to me. Keep an open mind to go bigger bore if there's one there also but all of them are good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IVRMajs37c

Buy the 400!!!  :thumbsup:  :ride:

I have to agree with the sentiments of Hawaii. The 400RR is a peach of a bike. I have had mine since January and have loved every minute aboard it. The only real mod I have done, is the JD jetting kit as the bike was a little rich for the altitude I ride. The JD kit made it easy for me to dial it in and eliminate the slight rich hesitation it had. The bike has been super reliable and has survived one drowing so far.

Have a look at my videos if you want to see how the 400 goes ;)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ1iPGdtN1dgiuAw-yMAdrfzyeDjXS_6M

You obviously know what you want to do with your next bike, right? Looking towards the 400RR you must have a need for a machine that can transport you efficiently in tighter single-track kinds of riding, deep wooded jeep trails with a well balanced machine that will last and not be a pain to keep running.

Right?

If you were leaning this way, then the KTM would be kind of a struggle IMHO. You have a 2” higher seat height with the KTM, right? Which for a lot of types of riding is no big deal, but in tight technical riding without a 33-35” inseam the KTM will become more of a challenge. Take some time and investigate the fuel injection issues with the newer KTM machines. Look at the service requirements of the new little KTM’s.

Then take the time to review, again the Beta. I like orange bikes, but for my next bike (which will be here in a few more weeks, it’s a Beta.

This is my mathematics;

I wanted a 400 Beta for a long time and I wanted to keep it stock, or at least close to it, suspension modifications to fit me and racks/big tanks the common stuff.

Yet after some talking to so many on this subject that already own the 400 and 450 and 520 machines I gained some valuable insight.

I would be using it for a RS dual-sport bike a little more torque would be better.

So I went with ordering a 520, but upon careful re-consideration I changed my order to a 2014 450RS. This allowed me to have a smaller feeling bike for my tight single-track and Jeep trails yet with enough power to torque around single track riding (60%) of my style riding, and enough power to blast open fire-roads and a little desert riding.

All at the same price as a orange bike, without the seat height, high maintenance problems and a much more long lasting simplistic machine.

Did you read the article in this months Cycle News on the 450RR??

Remember you are making an investment that can last many years with many smiles

And by the the way, the BYOB system rocks!!!!!

I chose the 400 because it came available and under 400 cc is cheaper insurance for us here but after riding a 450 I'm not sorry at all and because it is a little slower it makes it easier to ride the trails in slick conditions but it is not slow by any means and I just put a rekluse in it and it makes it better once you get used to it.

• Like 1

You obviously know what you want to do with your next bike, right? Looking towards the 400RR you must have a need for a machine that can transport you efficiently in tighter single-track kinds of riding, deep wooded jeep trails with a well balanced machine that will last and not be a pain to keep running.

Right?

If you were leaning this way, then the KTM would be kind of a struggle IMHO. You have a 2” higher seat height with the KTM, right? Which for a lot of types of riding is no big deal, but in tight technical riding without a 33-35” inseam the KTM will become more of a challenge. Take some time and investigate the fuel injection issues with the newer KTM machines. Look at the service requirements of the new little KTM’s.

Then take the time to review, again the Beta. I like orange bikes, but for my next bike (which will be here in a few more weeks, it’s a Beta.

This is my mathematics;

I wanted a 400 Beta for a long time and I wanted to keep it stock, or at least close to it, suspension modifications to fit me and racks/big tanks the common stuff.

Yet after some talking to so many on this subject that already own the 400 and 450 and 520 machines I gained some valuable insight.

I would be using it for a RS dual-sport bike a little more torque would be better.

So I went with ordering a 520, but upon careful re-consideration I changed my order to a 2014 450RS. This allowed me to have a smaller feeling bike for my tight single-track and Jeep trails yet with enough power to torque around single track riding (60%) of my style riding, and enough power to blast open fire-roads and a little desert riding.

All at the same price as a orange bike, without the seat height, high maintenance problems and a much more long lasting simplistic machine.

Did you read the article in this months Cycle News on the 450RR??

Remember you are making an investment that can last many years with many smiles

And by the the way, the BYOB system rocks!!!!!

Your perception on KTM maintenance and not being long lasting simplistic machine is wrong. There have been more tested and proven hard ridden miles on KTM's recent bikes to prove their reliability then on any beta. Not saying that the BETA isn't reliable, but I have towed a new one home before a few months back. And if you look at the manufacture's recommend engine maintenance, BETA's require much sooner maintenance then KTM's. 

Go for the 498-520 That's what I have an order in for. When I posted the same question as yours most all here agreed on the 498-520 bike. If you look at my post, there is about 2 pages of replies. It does'nt get much steeper or tighter single track, then here in SW Oregon, they say the 498 will do it all.

• Like 1

Your perception on KTM maintenance and not being long lasting simplistic machine is wrong. There have been more tested and proven hard ridden miles on KTM's recent bikes to prove their reliability then on any beta. Not saying that the BETA isn't reliable, but I have towed a new one home before a few months back. And if you look at the manufacture's recommend engine maintenance, BETA's require much sooner maintenance then KTM's. 

Well from what the OEM states for an amateur rider for a new 2013 KTM350 EXC-f compared to a 2013 Beta 400RS

KTM recommends more parts replaced in their 105 hour check than what Beta Recommends in their 90 hour check, as you know.

Where KTM recommends all new valves/springs/seats at 105 hours,

Beta only recommends inspection of the top-end in fact Beta only recommends replacing valve springs at 180 hours, and just inspecting the rest of the valve train. 

But that is slightly smaller potatoes compared with a new $9.5k bike that needs complete re-tuning/de-smogging and adding more money to the cost so it does not backfire and so it will run proper, which is not right and also illegal in many states, not to mention adding expense to an already expensive bike.

But to read so many varied stories about all the different Fuel Injection problems was the final icing that kept me away from Orange.

Many do find solace in a new bike that simply runs well right from the showrooms floors. 

I do have friends that live and swear by Orange, and many of their bikes run well, and some, not so well. And some of them just swear. As like many I can bring up many horror stories. But that's not fair. 

I really wanted to like the new KTM 350 and at first saw it as a "possible" for me, yet after the dust has cleared on both the 350 EXC-f and the 400RS for me, "IMHO"  the Beta wins....

• Like 1

Well from what the OEM states for an amateur rider for a new 2013 KTM350 EXC-f compared to a 2013 Beta 400RS

KTM recommends more parts replaced in their 105 hour check than what Beta Recommends in their 90 hour check, as you know.

Where KTM recommends all new valves/springs/seats at 105 hours,

Beta only recommends inspection of the top-end in fact Beta only recommends replacing valve springs at 180 hours, and just inspecting the rest of the valve train. 

But that is slightly smaller potatoes compared with a new $9.5k bike that needs complete re-tuning/de-smogging and adding more money to the cost so it does not backfire and so it will run proper, which is not right and also illegal in many states, not to mention adding expense to an already expensive bike.

But to read so many varied stories about all the different Fuel Injection problems was the final icing that kept me away from Orange.

Many do find solace in a new bike that simply runs well right from the showrooms floors. 

I do have friends that live and swear by Orange, and many of their bikes run well, and some, not so well. And some of them just swear. As like many I can bring up many horror stories. But that's not fair. 

I really wanted to like the new KTM 350 and at first saw it as a "possible" for me, yet after the dust has cleared on both the 350 EXC-f and the 400RS for me, "IMHO"  the Beta wins....

Yes KTM does say those parts need to be replaced at 105 hours, but in reality they last much much longer, as most people go 200-300 hours with out any issues. The beta calls for a new top end at 90 hours, plus calls for the clutch discs and springs to be replaced at 90 hours plus including most bearings. But I'm sure they too would last much longer. And Betas hold much less oil then KTM's requiring more oil frequent oil changes. 

Even after the thousands of miles ridden on my bro's 350exc and on mine, the valves never even moved on either of bikes.  On my 2014 500exc and the maintenance intervals recommendations have even been extended, as KTM states the newer internals got even more reliable. And as far as FI issues, I've yet to hear from anyone with them personally. Perhaps KTM's FIRST FI pumps had issues, but that was years ago, and the last couple years have been flawless from everything I've seen. 

It seems like everyone who still run carbs is scared of FI and brings up fears of FI horror stories of the past. Sounds like the old timers that still drive cars with carb's as they too fear FI and its been the norm for decades. Yet who thinks twice about going on road trips with their car due to FI? In the near future, ALL bikes will go FI or DI. I just hope you or anyone else doesn't let that stop you from going to FI. Know that KTM's recent FI bikes have been superb on FI reliability. You'll find more issues on carb's then you will on the new FI bikes any day and I have heard of carb issues with recent model betas. Again, thousands upon thousands of miles have been ridden and tested on KTM's recent model FI bikes with out a single issue. From the mountains of CO to the deserts of baja. Out of the box they are truly race ready. And having them "detuned" is an option and is CAKE. A block off kit takes a minute to install and map reflash the same and is FREE or included in the price of the bike from most good dealers and is already done before the bike is loaded on the truck. That's it. Beta's too have "smog" equipment that people go around just like any other DS bike. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to having a 50 state legal factory bike.

I'm not trying to argue or get into a debate, I just hope the OP or others stray away from Orange bikes (I'm not trying to push the orange cool-aid  :smirk: upon anyone either) due to fears of past issues. Both BETA and KTM make GREAT bikes. Heck they are both responsible for bikes of the year awards the last couple years. And I hope the OP doesn't base his decision on fears. 

I see your in CA, if I ever catch ya on the trail, you can def. take my bike for a spin and see what the hype is about  :ride:

Yes KTM does say those parts need to be replaced at 105 hours, but in reality they last much much longer, as most people go 200-300 hours with out any issues. The beta calls for a new top end at 90 hours, plus calls for the clutch discs and springs to be replaced at 90 hours plus including most bearings. But I'm sure they too would last much longer. And Betas hold much less oil then KTM's requiring more oil frequent oil changes. 

Even after the thousands of miles ridden on my bro's 350exc and on mine, the valves never even moved on either of bikes.  On my 2014 500exc and the maintenance intervals recommendations have even been extended, as KTM states the newer internals got even more reliable. And as far as FI issues, I've yet to hear from anyone with them personally. Perhaps KTM's FIRST FI pumps had issues, but that was years ago, and the last couple years have been flawless from everything I've seen. 

It seems like everyone who still run carbs is scared of FI and brings up fears of FI horror stories of the past. Sounds like the old timers that still drive cars with carb's as they too fear FI and its been the norm for decades. Yet who thinks twice about going on road trips with their car due to FI? In the near future, ALL bikes will go FI or DI. I just hope you or anyone else doesn't let that stop you from going to FI. Know that KTM's recent FI bikes have been superb on FI reliability. You'll find more issues on carb's then you will on the new FI bikes any day and I have heard of carb issues with recent model betas. Again, thousands upon thousands of miles have been ridden and tested on KTM's recent model FI bikes with out a single issue. From the mountains of CO to the deserts of baja. Out of the box they are truly race ready. And having them "detuned" is an option and is CAKE. A block off kit takes a minute to install and map reflash the same and is FREE or included in the price of the bike from most good dealers and is already done before the bike is loaded on the truck. That's it. Beta's too have "smog" equipment that people go around just like any other DS bike. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to having a 50 state legal factory bike.

I'm not trying to argue or get into a debate, I just hope the OP or others stray away from Orange bikes (I'm not trying to push the orange cool-aid  :smirk: upon anyone either) due to fears of past issues. Both BETA and KTM make GREAT bikes. Heck they are both responsible for bikes of the year awards the last couple years. And I hope the OP doesn't base his decision on fears. 

I see your in CA, if I ever catch ya on the trail, you can def. take my bike for a spin and see what the hype is about  :ride:

I like all the top bikes and ktm is a top bike. Still I like the handling, I like the level of owner satisfaction, I like the service and the speed that americanbeta has given me, I like the motor and I like a carb. Beta makes an awesome enduro bike.  The reality is EFI is not the great for offroad to me. KTM thinks so too. If I'm in the middle of nowhere and something goes wrong with EFI it's tow home time. No one's going to take the tank apart.

oops.. EFI so good? Why is Caselli's bike with a carb? ..maybe because EFI and dirt don't mix?  Is Caselli an "Old timer" ?

http://www.ktm.com/us/nationalracing/hare-hound/team-overview/details/racing/bike/Rider/caselli.html#.UlO9nySTgUo

You can have your EFI for offroad. I'll take the carb. EFI is awesome until something goes wrong then you're screwed in the middle of nowhere trying to figure out how to fix your bike to get out. The carb is super reliable and if you have to it can be worked on and be made to get to work well enough to get home. That's a huge point. 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/f199c7ea-bd26-4044-b970-3d28655101cd.aspx

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Even the KTM Dakar race bikes run carburettors

They must be "old timers"  .. You know Cyril Despres , Mark Coma etc...

http://www.ktm.com/us/news-events/news/all/details/ktm-ready-to-race-rallye-dakar-2013.html#.UlPJRCSTgUo

funny this bike doesn't have a carb? KTM just saves the carb for the top "race" bikes?

http://www.ktmworld.com/products/8608-2013-ktm-450-xcw.aspx

I like all the top bikes and ktm is a top bike. Still I like the handling, I like the level of owner satisfaction, I like the service and the speed that americanbeta has given me, I like the motor and I like a carb. Beta makes an awesome enduro bike.  The reality is EFI is not the great for offroad to me. KTM thinks so too. If I'm in the middle of nowhere and something goes wrong with EFI it's tow home time. No one's going to take the tank apart.

oops.. EFI so good? Why is Caselli's bike with a carb? ..maybe because EFI and dirt don't mix?  Is Caselli an "Old timer" ?

http://www.ktm.com/us/nationalracing/hare-hound/team-overview/details/racing/bike/Rider/caselli.html#.UlO9nySTgUo

You can have your EFI for offroad. I'll take the carb. EFI is awesome until something goes wrong then you're screwed in the middle of nowhere trying to figure out how to fix your bike to get out. The carb is super reliable and if you have to it can be worked on and be made to get to work well enough to get home. That's a huge point. 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/f199c7ea-bd26-4044-b970-3d28655101cd.aspx

Caselli's bike has a carb because his bike is only sold with a carb as that model bike doesn't have FI. It's his preference. While other KTM sponsored riders choose to ride EFI bikes as it's their preference. Because EFI and dirt don't mix???  :lol: Of course they don't mix, but guess what, carb's and dirt don't mix either!  :bonk:

Everyone always brings up the whole, "carb's can get fixed on the trail... :blah:  :blah:  :blah: ".  If something happens on a carb that strands someone, most people would probably be inadequately prepared in both tools and knowledge to remove everything necessary to get access to carb, remove the carb, clean out the carb, and jets, reset float bowl level, etc. (I don't see anyone ride with a can of carb cleaner, let alone brush wire to clean jets, or carrying new jets, etc  :busted: ) Especially out in "the middle of nowhere". Most people have a hard time doing carb work in their garage let alone on the fly "in the middle of nowhere" with no clean work environment, work bench, manual etc, Heck look how many carb issues and help wanted threads there are here on TT, including the beta section. Heck it's probably easier to carry and replaced an entire fuel pump as they are plug and play and come nearly packaged in a thin portable plastic bag. Beta's can fail in more than just carb's, as the one I hauled back (2012 520rs) had electrical system issues I believe. 

Any bike can fail, just love what you ride and ride for the love of it.   :ride:

Edited by johnrunner89

Caselli's bike has a carb because his bike is only sold with a carb as that model bike doesn't have FI. It's his preference. While other KTM sponsored riders choose to ride EFI bikes as it's their preference. Because EFI and dirt don't mix???  :lol: Of course they don't mix, but guess what, carb's and dirt don't mix either!  :bonk:

Everyone always brings up the whole, "carb's can get fixed on the trail... :blah:  :blah:  :blah: ".  If something happens on a carb that strands someone, most people would probably be inadequately prepared in both tools and knowledge to remove everything necessary to get access to carb, remove the carb, clean out the carb, and jets, reset float bowl level, etc. (I don't see anyone ride with a can of carb cleaner, let alone brush wire to clean jets, or carrying new jets, etc  :busted: ) Especially out in "the middle of nowhere". Most people have a hard time doing carb work in their garage let alone on the fly "in the middle of nowhere" with no clean work environment, work bench, manual etc, Heck look how many carb issues and help wanted threads there are here on TT, including the beta section. Heck it's probably easier to carry and replaced an entire fuel pump as they are plug and play and come nearly packaged in a thin portable plastic bag. Beta's can fail in more than just carb's, as the one I hauled back (2012 520rs) had electrical system issues I believe. 

Any bike can fail, just love what you ride and ride for the love of it.   :ride:

Doing some moon walking huh...Come on man. "Heck it's probably easier to carry and replaced an entire fuel pump as they are plug and play" !!!! That's bull and you know it.!!!!!  If you want to enjoy the benefits of EFI fine. ..but don't BS the realities of the shortcomings of that system. You know you're pretty much &%$#@!ed if you have EFI problems in the trail.  A carb is easy even for "most people"...not EFI and you know it to trouble shoot. So really you are going to keep an entire fuel pump in you pack... Keep your EFI.  Like you say any bike can fail but EFI by design is not as simple as a carb...especially in the trails. There are a bunch of people that have left other brands going to Beta because it has a carb. They have had bad experiences with EFI.  That to me is more verification of why I think Beta is better for offroad. You want to roll the dice your way fine..

Put a search on EFI issues/ problems. That's enough of a deterrent to me.

By the way show me which model Caselli has that comes with a carb..

http://www.ktmworld.com/products/8602-2013-ktm-450-xc-f.aspx

Show me which model...cause I don't see it.. unless you have a better source?

http://www.ktmworld.com/category/243-enduro.aspx

Maybe you missed reading earlier.. or you just don't want to acknowledge real world issues.

So the ktm site that I linked had both Dakar and Baja race bikes listed with a carb. If EFI is so great there shouldn't be ANY bikes racing with a carb... especially when all the stock bikes on the show room floor have EFI.  I mean if it's good enough for the best riders that KTM has why not go with what Beta has stock with what comes with their bikes.

I bought a 400RR last week and I'm waiting for the delivery. Giddy!

My decisions was based on a very short test ride, a recommendation from a serious rider and all the things I've read here and on the web.

A year ago I wanted a (previous generation) 70° Husaberg, but after discovering Beta that quickly went off the table for various reasons.

Between current Husabergs and KTMs I would probably still choose the Husaberg for enduros.

A few more reasons:

Beta is 1000€ less then the KTM and 2000€ less then Husa. (that's a lot). I got a 2013. for even less.

Carburetor and kick start + electric start. There is near consensus that Beta's carb works well.

I've tried a brand new EXC450 and fuel map is so corked up that the bike is unusable. You would have to beg/pay the dealer to program a new map. I and many here can fix almost anything mechanical but such electronics are beyond reach.  

Husa hasn't got a kick start. 

On one ride this summer we fixed a messed up carb on friend's XR650R with a flathead screwdriver. A few hours later another friend drowned a Suzuki DR350 (no kick start) and subsequently killed the battery by pushing the button 1000 times. We had to go to the road to find a car and jump start the bike.

One more thing is that here we have terrible fuel mixed with all sorts of filth.

I've seen a few +100h, trashed, rental Betas and they run and look (all things considered) fine. Most people here consider it a tough and reliable bike (unless you're concerned about stickers pealing on an enduro bike).

I've looked at Beta, EXC and WR OEM parts prices side by side and Beta prices are either lower or on pair.

I have a good report with a few Beta dealers and Italy isn't very far. I have yet to meet a cooperative KTM dealer. I'm convinced that it will be easier and quicker to get the Beta parts then for other (more popular) bikes.

Beta recommends less frequent services then the KTM.

I like separate oil chambers for the motor and the gearbox.

EXC450 wasn't too tall for me, but I prefer the lower seat on the Beta.

With Beta you don't have to buy a skid plate and hand guards for the very first ride in the woods.

Red matches my eyes better then orange.

EFI vs Carb discussion is slightly off topic so I'll say my opinion quickly.

Give me EFI, ABS, Traction control, stability control, electronic shocks and everything else possible and impossible, but only if it works, is inexpensive and is serviceable. 

In the consumer economy everything is built with a price point and these technologies aren't there yet.

Even the KTM Dakar race bikes run carburettors

Keep an eye out during the next few weeks.

They are putting out a new EFI Dakar bike. 

KTM Dakar team is a serious group, but a lot of people in the know are holding their breath to see how it will work.

Hawai, 

Despres is on a Yamaha this year. Caselli on KTM.

Dakar edit:

Here's the beast!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1382788_647039728650570_1766661193_n.jpg

Edited by Balkan boy
  • Like 1