Sign in to follow this  

KLX300 Cylinder work

Hi guys,

Have not posted for a while but need some advice.

My KLX300 was smoking a little so I removed the engine and took it to my trusted repair shop.  They have indicated that the cylinder needs to be "recoated".  The total bill for this, a new piston, rings, gaskets, cam chain, labor etc. is just shy of $1k.

Is there anything I can do to cut this cost down?  What's involved in this recoating process?  What are my options? (replace the cylinder, get it rebored, sleeve etc....)

I was reading about big bore kits from Kustom Kraft.  Anyone had any experience with big bore kits?  Do you end up chasing endless performance issues after rejetting?

Thanks

Edited by klx300green

Hi guys,

Have not posted for a while but need some advice.

My KLX300 was smoking a little so I removed the engine and took it to my trusted repair shop.  They have indicated that the cylinder needs to be "recoated".  The total bill for this, a new piston, rings, gaskets, cam chain, labor etc. is just shy of $1k.

Is there anything I can do to cut this cost down?  What's involved in this recoating process?  What are my options? (replace the cylinder, get it rebored, sleeve etc....)

I was reading about big bore kits from Kustom Kraft.  Anyone had any experience with big bore kits?  Do you end up chasing endless performance issues after rejetting?

Thanks

If you want to cut costs do it yourself.  Call Powersealusa about the bore.  I don't now if these are coated or cast sleeves.

Define chasing?  There is always test and tune work to be done after a big change like that.  I do that work myself so it takes some time, but very little money.  If you take it to a shop it'll obviously cost more.  Once it's right though there shouldn't be any "chasing"

Don't know anything about big bore kits yet.  When my bike need the work I'll be definalty going to a bigger bore. 

I pulled my bike down and took the cylinder to Bill Blue for his 331 kit. Put it back together and have never looked back. You can go as high as 351 if you like. As far as jetting I put a Dyno Jet kit in my stock carb years ago and have beein very satisfied with the results. After the big bore addition I changed my main jet from a #128 to a  #130 and have ridden it without issue. If you can manage to fit one of the aftermarket pumper carbs on your bike from what I understand, the results are incredible. I am sure there is some chasing to be done but it is probably worth it. All of this would bring you in under the $1000 mark.

if you can get all that work done for less than $1000 your lucky i would be charged 2k where i am in Australia. Get them to give you a written quote if you go this way so you cant get stuffed over on the price after they start the work. If its only going to cost that much i wonder what the plating is costing by its self?.

This is the parts cost for doing it wth a new cylinder using brand new Kawasaki genuine parts only. If you want to add the three cam chain guides as well it adds $80 bucks if someone is doing this work for under 1k plating must be cheap or there reusing parts i would not.

11005-1983 CYLINDER-ENGINE $356.44 1 11060-1740 GASKET,CYLINDER BASE $6.20 1 13001-1463 PISTON-ENGINE $72.59 1 13002-1109 PIN-PISTON $11.55 1 13008-1071 RING-SET-PISTON,STD $42.54 1 92033-1054 RING-SNAP $1.01 2 92057-1416 CHAIN,CAM,92RH2010 $79.35 1 12048-1140 TENSIONER-ASSY $71.26 1 11004-1314 GASKET-HEAD $45.67 1     Total   $687.62 USD

Edited by Tanis

I don't know about kowboy but I do all my own labor. So the under 1k is right in parts. I don't charge myself for labor. If you start taking you bike I a shop or all this work it'll start costing you. Just buy a clymer manual and figure it out. Saves a bunch of money.

Also no need to buy a new Kawi cylinder just send it off to blue bill or have it replayed. Power seal has done great work for me. They'll also do a bore for you for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Sorry for jacking this thread. I was just looking at a 2007 KLX 300 a guy near me that is willing to trade for my 2000 KX 250. Is it a good even up trade bike for bike? What should I be looking at when looking at the 300KLX bikes/

Blackwoodz...

Well, the two bikes are very different... I ride a klx 300 and had a 2005 kx 250 and an 07 kx250f. If you are riding trails and in my opinion even doing some woods racing as long as the trails are tight the klx is a great bike. Or it can be with a few mods... if you want to ride on a motocross track the klx is a poor choice. With a little work my klx is as fast as a kx250f motocrosser in a drag race with much more torque down low.

Edited by KLXChad