xr prices

Hey, I am wanting to purchase a XR400 for trail riding and they are getting somewhat hard to find. I did locate a 96, but they are asking $2500. It is supposed to be very nice but is this too much for a bike this old? It has the 440 big bore kit and a few other accessories.

Your thoughts please. Thanks

In Colorado, that bike (especially in October) would go for about 1400-1700.  I see them on CL priced higher but I don't think they sell.  The 440 is a minus.  They don't usually do that until the top end is shot which means some hours.   The best bikes to look for are bone stock.  That way, you risk less surprises.  Stock motor, stock exhaust (other tip is ok), find out about how many tires and chains its needed if possible.  Look for a bike thats not monkeyed with all over with nuts rounded off, bolts missing, etc.  Some people have a nature that if they just walk by there bike (sitting under a tree covered with snow of course), the bike depreciates.   If someone reams the snot out of their XR, then they need to suffer the consequences, not me. 

In Colorado, that bike (especially in October) would go for about 1400-1700.  I see them on CL priced higher but I don't think they sell.  The 440 is a minus.  They don't usually do that until the top end is shot which means some hours.   The best bikes to look for are bone stock.  That way, you risk less surprises.  Stock motor, stock exhaust (other tip is ok), find out about how many tires and chains its needed if possible.  Look for a bike thats not monkeyed with all over with nuts rounded off, bolts missing, etc.  Some people have a nature that if they just walk by there bike (sitting under a tree covered with snow of course), the bike depreciates.   If someone reams the snot out of their XR, then they need to suffer the consequences, not me. 

About the same value in north Idaho.  The only way someone could get close to $2500 with that bike is if it was Spring, it looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor, and the buyer didn't care that it would depreciate a $1000 on their first ride.

I couldn't agree with oldmanrip more on what adds value and what depreciates value.

Show up with $1700 in pocket....$2500 is too much. If it was plated, yes. But just a dirt bike....no. Guys will ask $2200 for a clean one out here in CA....but they sell for around $1400-$1800.

Thank you for the responses. Sounds like I should pass on this one and continue looking. It didn't sound like they would budge on the price. They told me that even the rough ones they have sold were going for 2 grand, ya right, typical salesman, huh. Lol

Thanks again

a nice stock one in WA goes for in terms of asking price the same 2,500.00.  I don't know what folks pay for them though.

I bought a 97 for 1,000.00.  Problems that later manifested themselves were, fork seals leaking and springs shot. Front and rear wheel bearings, steering head bearings. and worst of all - a worn counter-shaft bearing.  That does not whine until warm.  It also is a hard starter, even after re-jetting etc.  And as of late - stalls - cold, warm, or hot.  I don't know if that is a valve adjust issue or worn top end issue. 

I bought a used (known good) 2003 bottom end and plan on swapping out my top end onto it - rebuilt of course. 

I also replaced the fork boots, chain snail adjusters, and all plastic. New tires and tubes. FMF powercore IV. New aftermarket seat. New Barnett clutch and cable. New renthal handlebars and risers / grips. Enduro engineering hand guards. XR's only skidplate and Installed a IMS tank on it I had for my XR250R. 

affectionately known as "tanker" due to my ability to refuel others on the trail.  The bike in the end is probably now a 2,500 bike. 2,500.00 that I could never recover... nor get on trade for something newer. SO - it will stay with me. 

Such it is with older bikes.  Or pay the 3-4K for a newer technology used bike or 7-10K for a new one.  I say 10K thinking of KTM. 

Just sold my 2002 in pretty good shape for $2100. Here in MD I cant remember the last time I saw one on CL. Nice ones arent that easy to find anymore. I would agree to pass on the 440. You can do better. Guy