Cameras

What's everyone using for cameras? Anyone use something different from GoPro?

We use that Liquid Ego (because I am a cheap SOB) and side-by-side with the GoPro on a big screen hi-def Mac (because my wife wanted one) you can't tell the difference. FWIW. Besides, it looks better perched on your head. It also wi-fi's to your phone, which is cool.

I like the contour helmet cams, they fit nice and snug to your head, and don't flop around like the gopro does. The contours also have a huge switch on top rather than the tiny hard to find button on gopros. They have a laser level too, so you can adjust the camera to be straight easily

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black. Have no problems with it

Go Pro

I own a go pro and I own 2 optrix cases. They mount to your helmet and you place your ipod4/ iPhone 4(and 4s) and one for the iPod 5/iPhone 5(and 5s and C) it works very very well. Can't tell a difference between it and my go pro beleive it or not. I prefer it actually. The case is very sturdy too and you can mount it wherever you want. Comes with extra lenses for wide angle/ view, etc. Also it's only 120$ for the MX version. Look them up!

Dont have one but been looking at the ones thats built into goggles forget who makes them but think less chance breaking it. With all the bark marks my helmet has one would not last a day!

i've seen the google ones videos before I don't think the quality of the videos that great, the ppl I know that have them aren't to impressed with them, I have  a go pro and happy with it.

I have been using a goPro Hero2 but thinking of upgrading. I got the camera free so I can't complain. But I have been thinking of trying the Hero3 (I guess now hero3+) black, or the Contour.

I guess I don't limit myself to one camera.  I have 6 different cameras. Depends on what I am trying to capture depends on what camera I  chose to use.  You have to have other angles anyways or the video is just boring.  I guess my go to camera is the Cannon XA10 most of the time.  For a "mountable" camera I find a Flipcam weatherproof case with some custom mounts (home made) work fine for me.

Contour Roam

Sony DSCH2

Nikon D90, with an assortment of glass

And my phone's camera.

Right tool for the job ... but the best camera is the one you have with you.

Each camera has its pros and cons.  There's shots I've gotten out of the Roam that I never would/could have with any of my other cameras.  The Nikon is fast as shit, and obvious image quality improvements over any of my other gear.

Dont have one but been looking at the ones thats built into goggles forget who makes them but think less chance breaking it. With all the bark marks my helmet has one would not last a day!

I use the Liquid Image Torque goggles. I like them better than the GoPro I had because it is never in the way. HD quality is great, and the WiFi is nice for quick view of vids. They are also easy to operate with gloves on, and I can always tell what mode they are in by glancing up at the LED. I did have to tape a note on my crossbar pad to remind me what color LED equates to which mode.

http://www.liquidimageco.com/collections/torque

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

I went with the sony action cam vs gopro. The sony has everything the gopro has(30fps/1080p HD/slow motion/ect) except the hefty price tag and the ever crappy customer support. Sony action cam also has the stabilization function that removes all the unwanted movement (especially ideal for us dirtbike people) which is not an option with gopro. Sony is also slim and not square and bulky like the gopro (why spend the $ on a cam only to have it knocked off by a tree branch).  There are multiple u tube videos that do side by side comparisons on various makes/models of cams. Hope this helps.

I'm a professional cinematographer and I choose the GoPro Hero 3 Black as my favorite on-board camera because frankly, it just works. The files it produces are very easy to use in my editing programs, its extremely Mac friendly. The camera itself is light-weight, shoots excellent quality images for the price point and has excellent accessory support from a broad range of different manufacturers. The GoPro shoe was a great invention and yes it does wear out, so don't be an idiot and complain, buy a new shoe every year or two. The GoPro housing was another genius move, for those of us who've owned other cameras and them not surviving crashes, riding in the mud or getting wet... the GoPro survives it all. I've found GoPro's buried in the mud, broken off the helmets of crashers, which were still 100% in tact after being run over hundreds of times by oncoming bikes... any other camera would be toast in those circumstances.

Yes, there are better quality cameras on the market. But there aren't any which mix the robustness AND quality of the Hero 3 Black. Prior to the GoPro, I've tried and owned almost every other camera from the Contour to some $50 Chinese crap and I'll tell ya after years of playing with them and never buying a GoPro... when I finally did, it was a breath of fresh air!

I also prefer the GoPro Hero 3 Black. Another thing to remember though is GoPro just released the Hero 3 Plus. So the new Silver Edition is now the same as the previous Black Edition and it's $300 instead of $400. Contours were cool, but as previously mentioned, they've gone belly up. I would like to look into the Garmin cam more though...

Keep in mind when reading a lot of these "best camera" threads that most that brag about the go-pro really don't have anything to compare it to.  

That said, go-pro does make a very nice unit that takes some amazing footage.  I personally have never had one, but I have many close friends that do.  I have an older Contour unit - the 720p model, 3 or 4 years old and it's still kicking on the original battery.  But as others have said Contour went belly up.

When deciding what camera you want to get, make sure you keep in mind what video file type they output, and how much editing you actually want to do in the end.  The contour outputs a .MOV, which makes it EXTREMELY easy to crop out the 1 min of 60 you want to keep with Quicktime Pro.  But some programs do not like to handle .MOV files without converting first.

The main things I love about my Contour that I would absolutely hate to lose with any other camera would be:

1) Easy on-off operation with a switch AND an audible 1 or 2 tones instead of a button and blinking light.

2) Slim design.  Nothing worse than having a camera get ripped off your helmet in the middle of a 2 hour hare scramble.

3) Tether cord.  So if it does for any reason get ripped off its mount, it stays attached to you.

Edited by yz250f_spud
The main things I love about my Contour that I would absolutely hate to lose with any other camera would be:

1) Easy on-off operation with a switch AND an audible 1 or 2 tones instead of a button and blinking light.

2) Slim design.  Nothing worse than having a camera get ripped off your helmet in the middle of a 2 hour hare scramble.

3) Tether cord.  So if it does for any reason get ripped off its mount, it stays attached to you.

^^ Yup. 

Straight off my Contour tonight.

I'm using a Replay XD. Films at 1080p, durable, super easy to mount anywhere, way smaller than the gopro.