CRF250L/M Seat Upgrades and Options

Can someone who bought one of these seats for the 250L   do a review on it?

I want to know is is softer and wider than stock to support longer rides... the stock seat sucks and make my butt go numb......

interested in seeing it side by side with the stock seat...

R/

Edited by ltdorn

I want to know is is softer and wider than stock to support longer rides... the stock seat sucks and make my butt go numb......

R/

Somebody has posted pic's and comments here somewhere  ....  :thinking:

I have the spiral step seat.  It's more comfortable than the stock seat and the step keeps you locked nicely into the sweet spot on the seat.  It also allows me to completely flat foot (I'm 6 ft) which I like for the more technical trails if I have to put a foot down.

post-377055-0-13121000-1388277986.jpg

post-377055-0-62965900-1388278002.jpg

Edited by gnath9

R/

The seat is more comfortable than stock and maybe a bit wider.  It is not really soft and I would probably want something wider and softer like the seat concepts (which I haven't tried ) if I was doing longer street oriented rides with short off road stints.  I only ride my bike short distances on the street, like down to the beach to check the surf or to the trails where I'm on the pegs most of the day anyway.  

I'll post some side by side pics when I get back home next weekend.  I'm on the road for work right now.

• Like 4

I've been thinking about taking my stock seat to an upholstery shop to see what they would charge to make a super cushy fat seat for the street.   Those Flexx bars look great.  I'm curious to hear how they work...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I rode to work yesterday afternoon(I work nights) in some drizzle, and parked the bike without protection in the parking lot. I kept an eye on how much rain we were having and it was light and scattered throughout the night.

When I got out to the bike, there was water on it, but I wouldn't consider it excessive. I wiped the bike off with towel I had before heading home. It was very foggy, and I chalked up a damp feeling in the seat of my pants to that.

Rode into work again today, and it seems like the seat "squished" some water out of the seams underneath me. The bike sat in the sun until 3PM when I left for work. This worries me a ton, since the idea of the seat foam holding water that it possibly sucked through the seams means there is no way I can use this for anything but planned long trips with dry weather.

Am I expecting too much out of the seat? The stock Honda seat is going back on until I can figure this out.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to get in a battle about seats here but, for what it is worth ......

My Corbin sat outside during a heavy down pour for over four hours ... I did not use a towel but knocked off the beads of water with my hand and my butt stayed dry.

This is some good info to know for those that choose this seat as an option .... use some good seam sealer on the inside of the cover before installation. 

This does not make it a bad seat but, something to consider ...  :thinking:

I wonder how the MX gripper covers hold up as I am wanting to build me a seat specifically for off road use only.

I guess that seat would not be sitting in the rain for hours outside of a bar ...  :cheers:

• Like 1

I would like to reply to this post about the covers. Yes, the seam will allow water in just as Corbins do. Here is copy of this topic off their site:

What happens if my saddle gets wet?

Don't panic, water won't damage your saddle. Corbin covers are extremely durable and are weather resistant too. Although the materials are resistant to water intrusion, the stitching in the cover can let water in. If this happens, your behind will probably get wet a couple of the times as you squeeze the water back out while sitting on the seat. The solution to this is to let the seat dry out in the sun for awhile. If you often find yourself getting caught in the rain, you may want to consider a saddle rain cover.

To assure that your leather seat retains it weather resistance, we recommend conditioning your seat on a regular basis with Corbin's Saddle Cream or similar product. You should condition your seat at least as often as you wash your bike (TIP: Remove your saddle from your bike when washing it). We strongly suggest a regular coating of a good parafin or silicon based leather conditioner like ours... do NOT use cleaners or conditioners with a petroleum or kerosene base!

We have tried a seam sealing tape system but its not compatible with all of our materials.  We use a Saran Wrap type of film but we can not supply it in the kits because it would be just a blob of stuck together film. We are still looking for a alternative. We will start supplying all the complete seats with this film installed. For those who have already got a complete seat that does not have the film can send it back to us and we will install the film for you and send it back. We will cover return shipping. I have had these seats on my bike for 4 years and never been a problem but here is CA there is not much rain. I wash my bikes after every ride but I do not run water over the seat, just wipe it off after the rest of the bike is washed and never had a problem. With this posting we will take your guys and girls feedback and make a change. Thanks to all of you who are our customers.

• Like 1

if i remember correctly, my dad's old late 70's honda and yamaha had plastic under the stock seat coverings...  after they ripped it was like a super heavy duty clear plastic... i was pretty young though... i guess that is not the norm anymore...  the seat also had 1/2 holes drilled in the foam.. i guess that was to soften it up some... give the hard foam a little flex? 

How is the new seat? Have you had a chance to try it out much?

The new seat works great. Less sliding around randomly and it is more comfortable than the stock seat. But I've only taken it on dirt so no real long rides with my rear end actually sitting so that might make a difference. It also looks better on the bike. My only gripe would be that the front part doesnt seem as secure but it is hooked on and hasn't come off while riding. You can just kinda grab the front end and sort of wiggle it a little. But for 150ish dollara for a full seat I have no regrets.

The new seat works great. Less sliding around randomly and it is more comfortable than the stock seat. But I've only taken it on dirt so no real long rides with my rear end actually sitting so that might make a difference. It also looks better on the bike. My only gripe would be that the front part doesnt seem as secure but it is hooked on and hasn't come off while riding. You can just kinda grab the front end and sort of wiggle it a little. But for 150ish dollara for a full seat I have no regrets.

If that is just the front mount maybe wrap some electrical tape (or use a small slit bushing) around the pin on the tank the seat slides onto. I had to do this on some of my old dirt bikes when seats didn't fit tight, that helped make it more snug. Just a thought.  ?

• Like 3

If that is just the front mount maybe wrap some electrical tape (or use a small slit bushing) around the pin on the tank the seat slides onto. I had to do this on some of my old dirt bikes when seats didn't fit tight, that helped make it more snug. Just a thought.  ?

Thanks for the tip! Will certainly try it!

• Like 1

Well ......... what do you think and how do you like it .... c'mon man spit it out .... ?

post-358337-0-54996400-1390613897.jpg

well for the seat, i didn't want to say to much because i haven't ridden it yet. but for the first impression I'm very pleased. i can still touch the ground with both feet but don't feel as cramped with my feet on the pegs. the foam does feel a little softer, but some good seat time will reveal how comfy it really is. fit and finish is great. the top portion is like a light gripper and the sides are like a carbon cover. i think for the price i paid i will be very happy.

the bars are protaper contours, windam/rm mid bend. i picked that bend because of the height. used tusk riser/adapter to mount them. and i really like the looks of the drc mirrors, but a ride at highway speeds will the test.

i got the seat and mirrors from wheeling, and the bars from rocky mtn.

• Like 1

well for the seat, i didn't want to say to much because i haven't ridden it yet. but for the first impression I'm very pleased. i can still touch the ground with both feet but don't feel as cramped with my feet on the pegs. the foam does feel a little softer, but some good seat time will reveal how comfy it really is. fit and finish is great. the top portion is like a light gripper and the sides are like a carbon cover. i think for the price i paid i will be very happy.

the bars are protaper contours, windam/rm mid bend. i picked that bend because of the height. used tusk riser/adapter to mount them. and i really like the looks of the drc mirrors, but a ride at highway speeds will the test.

i got the seat and mirrors from wheeling, and the bars from rocky mtn.

I went for a 50 mile ride today and love the new bars and seat. It feels more like a dirt bike now with the taller bars and a seat that doesn't slope down so much in the middle. The taller seat really helps the legs not get cramped. After riding it I would say the seat foam is very similar to stock. Maybe a little softer, but not much. But with the increased height and improved shape it's much more comfortable. And with the taller bars it's actually comfortable to stand and ride now.

• Like 1

I went for a 50 mile ride today and love the new bars and seat. It feels more like a dirt bike now with the taller bars and a seat that doesn't slope down so much in the middle. The taller seat really helps the legs not get cramped. After riding it I would say the seat foam is very similar to stock. Maybe a little softer, but not much. But with the increased height and improved shape it's much more comfortable. And with the taller bars it's actually comfortable to stand and ride now.

That's great news ...  ?

This is what it is all about .... dialing it in to fit your own personal needs ...  :prof:

I know for a fact that this seat would not work for my little 30 inch inseams ... ? 

Modding a bike or any other thing is all about finding what works for us ... plain and simple. 

• Like 1