Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Basket ?'s

It looks like I have a clutch basket problem. It was a Hinson clutch basket that had an issue. What would you guys recommend.

Here's the problem

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380942742.392304.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380942765.114514.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380942777.976876.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380942798.764980.jpg

Hinson makes replacement cushions and anything else you need.

I can't tell from the pictures, is that cushion material at the bottom of the case or metal?

It's is some cushion and also some of the bolts or rivits that hold everything together. I didn't put it in so I don't know how it goes together but it looks like the plate is ruined and not sure I could get all the bolts or pins out of the basket that sheared off. That's my question what would of caused them to shear? The cushions going out?

It's is some cushion and also some of the bolts or rivits that hold everything together. I didn't put it in so I don't know how it goes together but it looks like the plate is ruined and not sure I could get all the bolts or pins out of the basket that sheared off. That's my question what would of caused them to shear? The cushions going out?

ok thats not clear from the pics.

There's 8 small allen screws holding the backing plate to the basket. the only way those can shear is if they loosened, the bearing is worn loose, or the gear pressed into the center of the basket is loose. Allowing the clutch assembly to wobble. There's not much clearance between the backing plate and the kick start idler gear, and kick start gear. How are those looking?

Chances are the worn cushions is what started the whole mess. Cushions wear with abuse and should be considered replacement items. You found this out the hard way. I always order 2 sets with every Hinson I order.

Replace all the bad parts and you should be good to go.

All the gears look good. But the basket looks like it took some abuse.

Check out the wiseco forged basket. For under $200 you cant beat it. Its a great buy at this price  Ive been running one for almost a year now & it still shows no wear.   http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900029834  It goes for way more at most sellers. It comes with cushions & mounting screw with threadlocker on them.. You do have to move your old gears to the new basket. It was a easy install though. Just put the basket in the oven for 10-15min & the gear will drop right in. Then just bolt up the other gear.  Be sure to replace the bearings & washers & push rod if they show any wear.  I also installed Barnett heavy duty springs. They made a good improvement over oem springs. I run stock plates. This setup hooks up great, Has very positive engagement. I couldn't be happier with it. 

Edited by ser50

$200 ? ok.. www.peracing.com sells LIFETIME baskets for $129. Same grade billet that hinson uses (from what they tell me). I have one in each bike for a long time now, amazing wear thus far and i ride 20 hrs a month. They do not sell cushions. you need to use your OEM gear and backing plate. It's all they do. Nothing else.

I had the cushions fall apart once before, but it was from excessive head when my wp seal was leaking coolant out of the weep hole. you get the "clank-clank" as you roll on or off the gas. the backing plate does nothing more than hold the cushions and drive gear in place. The rubber cushions buffer the force of gas-no gas. Similar to the cush drive of a street bike rear WHEEL. (the sprocket carrier holds the rubber cushions as the basket and gear are solid.. same principle, applied in a different manner).

As some eluded to, yours looks like the screw heads sheared off from a wobbly basket (bad shaft bearing inside the clutch basket?) or here is MY GUESS... The basket had been rebuilt before, and someone CUT OFF THE BOLTS to get the backing plate off the last time and didn't put all the 3mm alen head bolts back in. So.. with the wobbly basket, or just normal hard riding, another screw head broke off, then another, and before ya new it, the cushions were not being held in place properly, and the disintigration continued.
Was the coolant low ????

Edited by MELK-MAN

peracing no longer is in business. phone number no good, email, no response

peracing no longer is in business. phone number no good, email, no response

well that sucks..