Sign in to follow this  

Pulled head forgot to drain radiator

I was pulling the head off my bike today and forgot to drain the radiator and realized as soon as I saw it start to leak. so i tightened the 4 10mm bolts back down and drained the rest idk how much got down inside but I was just wondering what the effects might be or what I should do next? I know I have to drain the oil but what else should I do?

Treat it as if water got in it a few oil changes till its nothing but clean oil coming out. It Will smoke white for a little while while burning off coolant. Need to replace the head gasket if it got wet at all

Thanks for the quick reply I'm sure I've gotten out as much oil as possible, I blew compressed air into the oil passages and tipped it on its side with the stator cover removed ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380951397.783335.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380951413.449939.jpg

You aren't the first, and you won't be the last. Good times! You should replace the gaskets anyway any time you pull the head off. So, if it's me doing this, I would pull the cylinder off, too, and apply WD-40 liberally to the crank and big end of the rod to displace any moisture because I am anal and WD-40 is cheap and water got into the big end of the rod, which is not good. Then I would apply oil. Overkill? Maybe, but I would also check for any vertical play in the connecting rod (not because of the water, just because) I would do other stuff, too, like clean the cylinder and pop in a new piston if it were time. Curious as to why you pulled the head in the first place?