When is it too late to mod?

I'm riding a '10 DRZ400SM. I'm just about to clock 28k KMs. I've only just gotten a full license in the last few months.

I've been meaning to go down the MRD and FCR path, but have I left it too late?

Am I better to just trade the bike in now while I'll (hopefully) still get a few $ for it.

I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

17,000 miles for a drz is nothing. Theres a good amount of bikes out there with 30,000 miles (sorry, not good with km's)  plus still on the original motor. Just did these mods on my '13 DrzSm and it does really help wake it up and has made it alot more fun to drive. Also remember that these mods can easily be removed and fitted to another bike if you decide to replace it with another DRZ. 

Pipe and carb wont stress the motor too much , it is when you put in a big bore and the motor has done 28000 hard klms . The big end will sometimes say goodbye , greg

17,000 miles for a drz is nothing. Theres a good amount of bikes out there with 30,000 miles (sorry, not good with km's) plus still on the original motor. Just did these mods on my '13 DrzSm and it does really help wake it up and has made it alot more fun to drive. Also remember that these mods can easily be removed and fitted to another bike if you decide to replace it with another DRZ.

Good to know. Thanks for the input.

Pipe and carb wont stress the motor too much , it is when you put in a big bore and the motor has done 28000 hard klms . The big end will sometimes say goodbye , greg

Again, thanks.

I don't think I'll be going the big bore option, but that's certainly something to remember.

lol i put stage 2 cams in my sm at 38,000miles..now at 43,000 stock piston/rings/valves, stg2 cams,yoshi rs2,..pinging on and off since 35,000.

pinged twice today..

i saved up the money for

stroker kit ,maybe

bb kit,

valves,

valve work,

(stock carb),

redo all linkage(maybe just bearings),

new swingarm(CURRENT HAS NEVER BEEN GREASED!),

trueing stand,

hid kit,

all tools for splitting cases, and thats whats really made me not order this crap is becuase ive never split a case, but i DO want to do it all myself and seems scary and intididating..

just havent ordered parts

Edited by 707LAKE

at about 13000(150 miles after big bore). mine said "adios". i think my drz spent some time near the border...

lol i put stage 2 cams in my sm at 38,000miles..now at 43,000 stock piston/rings/valves, stg2 cams,yoshi rs2,..pinging on and off since 35,000.

pinged twice today..

i saved up the money for

stroker kit ,maybe

bb kit,

valves,

valve work,

(stock carb),

redo all linkage(maybe just bearings),

new swingarm(CURRENT HAS NEVER BEEN GREASED!),

trueing stand,

hid kit,

all tools for splitting cases, and thats whats really made me not order this crap is becuase ive never split a case, but i DO want to do it all myself and seems scary and intididating..

just havent ordered parts

Hey lake I actually just finished my 1st rebuild on a buddies polaris predator 500 motor. split cases, even rebuilt tranny. Started right up! Now keep in my I never turned a wrench on a bike until 2yrs. ago. My best resources were my shop manual, thumpertalk, and a youtube video series by "johnnysshop". He does an awesome yz250f rebuild. Just take your time take pictures, and label and bag EVERYTHING, saves soo much time and stress. Only special tools I needed were impact wrench and good torque wrench. Just study up before you start.