05-07 CR 250 HRC cylinder?

Hey guys, I've found this seller on eBay Australia selling a factory HRC cylinder for 2005-2007 models.

He says the cylinder is professionally ported at the factory before being shipped out to the honda race teams back in the day........he also has listed a few other factory parts like HRC expansion chambers etc.......

I'm a sceptic......but I want to believe its real.......could there be any truth in this? I hope so because I just won it for $270 AUD!

If it's not real then I end up with a spare cylinder to play with, so it's not a big lose, IMO.

Photos to follow when it arrives, any wisdom out there?

Any suggestions?

I'm a big skeptic as well since I learned the hardway in my teenage years (school of hard knocks).   I'd ask him for some kind of documentation to back up his claim.   There was a guy last year in southern CA selling an 04 with a HRC cyl., expansion chamber & CDI.   He claimed he knew someone that worked at HRC & was able to obtain them back then which had RC's specs.  When I asked him for the documentation he wasn't able to provide it so I passed on it.   For the amount you payed for the cyl., I'd take a gamble on it as well.   If it doesn't turn out PC provides a healthy power increase with their mods if your looking for some serious HP.  I couldn't imagine needing any more power out of a 250 2t !  The motor mods are that good on the case reed engine.

Interested in hearing a ride report after you get it back together.

I'm thinking there were no porting specs for an 05 CR250 cause RC was off smokers a couple years before.

I'm thinking there were no porting specs for an 05 CR250 cause RC was off smokers a couple years before.

Laracco and McGrath rode the cr250 i believe as late as 06 for Honda. Not long into 06 but 06 none the less. Theres not much info out there and i was not that into it back then to remember. I doubt Honda put them out there without putting in work on the bikes.

Edited by mynewcr250

Laracco and McGrath rode the cr250 i believe as late as 06 for Honda. Not long into 06 but 06 none the less. Theres not much info out there and i was not that into it back then to remember. I doubt Honda put them out there without putting in work on the bikes.

MC's 06 motor was done by PC since Honda was no longer doing the R&D work on the 2t's.  It's possible they have some factory works spec's from the 05 model since Fonseca, Larocco & MC rode a Factory Honda.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dirtrider.com%2Ffeatures%2Fnews%2F141_0411_honda_expands_2005_teams%2F&ei=p2xRUsyMJaGpigK2pYCIDg&usg=AFQjCNGszzyTdsCOcsQM1G_USm7-NKlViA

• Like 1

I don't think Fonseca ever rode it I thought he got hurt before that and mc's bike was a PC modded bike the only trick hrc part was the magnesium right engine cover he had on it. Not the small removable part but the inner one for the kick/water pump and I think that was a left over part from 2002.

I don't think Fonseca ever rode it I thought he got hurt before that and mc's bike was a PC modded bike the only trick hrc part was the magnesium right engine cover he had on it. Not the small removable part but the inner one for the kick/water pump and I think that was a left over part from 2002.

Joe - I remember Fonseca racing the 05 SX / MX season on a Factory CR250r.  I believe he got hurt on a CRF450r testing before starting the 07 SX season.   He also raced a Factory CRF450r in the 06 season as his stats are below.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvault.racerxonline.com%2Frider%2Fernesto-fonseca%2Fraces&ei=8-hRUqHnCOGdiALoroHgCA&usg=AFQjCNHVvoM69ExuvZRmw2R-8gWJd1legw

So the cylinder turned up today..........check the pics and see what you think?

I will be comparing it thoroughly to my stock 07 cylinder to see what differences there are, especially if it has had the base Machined.....

From what I can tell it has a pretty nice port job, exhaust port very polished and some engravings here and thereimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looks like a nice cylinder from the pics and someone was pretty proud of it putting all the markings on it.

The base appears stock. To verify, measure the depth of the 4 casting holes in the base. They should be approx. .030" deep.

So the cylinder turned up today..........check the pics and see what you think?

I will be comparing it thoroughly to my stock 07 cylinder to see what differences there are, especially if it has had the base Machined.....

From what I can tell it has a pretty nice port job, exhaust port very polished and some engravings here and thereattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice.  Were you only able to buy a cyl. with no head because it was unavailable ?  If so, that would be a shame not getting the set. 

The base appears stock. To verify, measure the depth of the 4 casting holes in the base. They should be approx. .030" deep.

So these holes disappear when the base gets machinined?

So these holes disappear when the base gets machinined?

They are almost removed with .030" of milling.

• Like 2

Fonseca got hurt just after the Indy Supercross in 2006, late March.  He rode the 450 in 2006 and was on the 250 smoker in 2005.

Nice.  Were you only able to buy a cyl. with no head because it was unavailable ?  If so, that would be a shame not getting the set.

No, he had 2 heads listed in a separate auction, but they both were for different models, 02-04 and then 05-07. Both had reshaped combustion chambers.

I really wanted to bid on them but I was already in trouble from the "minister of recreation" for "wasting money on that bike" so I had to pass........lol.

I decided that the cylinder was the best option and reshaping my stock head wouldn't cost much, so......here I am

I really wanted to bid on them but I was already in trouble from the "minister of recreation" for "wasting money on that bike" so I had to pass........lol.

I decided that the cylinder was the best option and reshaping my stock head wouldn't cost much, so......here I am

I can relate!! I have been building my bike around 6 months. All she knew was I was spending money on it here and there. I kept hearing about how I was spending all this money and she hasnt even heard it run yet. I guess all that time of me telling here " this is all I need, and it'll be finished", was getting old. I do understand where she was coming from, and I did bring alot of it on myself. I should have inspected the parts better at teardown, instead of during reassembly.

Whats even worse, is the whole time from buying the bike til just in the past week ( after hearing it run, and some riding ) that I keep hearing I am too old for it. :thumbsdn:  I may be older and slow......But in my mind I am fast, and I probably look like this :ride:  lol

Edited by wykyd450r
  • Like 2

I removed my stock 07 cylinder today to compare against this one.

The cylinders are nearly identical apart from the porting.

The base heights are identical.

The 4 small casting holes in the base are 030' deep on both cylinders as CamP suggested. So i am assuming that the cylinder base has never been machined.

The port heights and sizes are identical from the top of the bore and from the bottom of the bore.

The porting is extensive though....i'll post some pics of the 2 different cylinders later. You can see how much work has gone into the left and right transfer ports when compared to stock.

Also the intake cutaway at the very bottom of the cylinder sleeve has been seriously polished when compared to stock.

The exhaust port is also highly polished.

It appears that the engravings are not so special after all as my stock 07 cylinder has engravings in the exact same spots, however has different lettering and numbers.

I dont know what they mean but im thinking its some sort of mark to signify that the cylinders have been inspected on the production line? and then marked with the initials of person inspecting? Who knows?

So, it looks like i've got a stock cylinder with a great port job. Where it was ported and by who, i'm still trying to find out?..I'm still happy with my ebay win even if its not one of McGraths spare cylinders (lol) plus the bore is unmarked and like new!

I'll machine 030' from the base and re-fit to my bike.

It's gunna be sweet!! I KNOW IT!!

Good to hear.  You might want to try it as is & modify it later if you feel you need more down low.   Have an 03 PC cyl. that has 0 shaved off the bottom base & has comparable lowend torque power to a 02/04 yz250 & 93 CR250 owned.  The cyl. mods could possibly be very good & not need any additional modification.  Just my $.02  

• Like 2

Good to hear.  You might want to try it as is & modify it later if you feel you need more down low.   Have an 03 PC cyl. that has 0 shaved off the bottom base & has comparable lowend torque power to a 02/04 yz250 & 93 CR250 owned.  The cyl. mods could possibly be very good & not need any additional modification.  Just my $.02

Thanks for the advice, but I dropped it off today to the local machinist to get the .030" milled off!

I just have to do it, I've read so much into it that I can't ignore it!

My logic is that if for some reason I don't like it, maybe I can run the slightly thicker 02 base gasket to gain back a little port height?

Good news is I still have my bog stock 07 cylinder to fall back on..........

• Like 1