Sign in to follow this  

How to Remove KX80 Water Impeller?

I can't figure out what to do here. I just bought a 1983 KX80 and i need to get the clutch/side cover off. Looks like the only thing keeping it on is the water pump impeller. It's plastic so i didn't want to jam something in it and risk breaking it. How do i get this thing off?

Also, i've read it might be reverse threaded- does anyone know for sure?

2013-10-05_00-31-17_422.jpg

2013-10-05_00-31-31_363.jpg

The impeller shaft should have 2 flats on it to put a wrench on and hold it while taking the allen bolt out of the impeller itself. The case should come off with the impeller shaft in it. As far as left handed threads, dunno there. 

Are you sure you have all the bolts out? Occasionally one can hide from you. If all bolts are out, give it a wrap with a rubber mallet and it should come right off.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

The impeller shaft should have 2 flats on it to put a wrench on and hold it while taking the allen bolt out of the impeller itself. The case should come off with the impeller shaft in it. As far as left handed threads, dunno there. 

Are you sure you have all the bolts out? Occasionally one can hide from you. If all bolts are out, give it a wrap with a rubber mallet and it should come right off.

I can't get the cover off to see the shaft though. So it should pull right out? The gears on the shaft aren't locking it in place? I def got all the bolts out and there's about a 1/4" play on the side opposite the impeller but the side the impeller is on isn't budging at all.

Ok, did a little looking around and found a parts fiche blow up of the pump/case.. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/Motorcycle/1983/KX80-E1+KX80/ENGINE+COVERS-WATER+PUMP/parts.html

From the looks of this, the pump impeller does screw into something else (a drive gear?). As for the reverse (left hand) thread thing, i still don't know. One way to maybe confirm is to determine which direction the impeller spins. A lot of times the bolt will be threaded in the opposite direction of usage so as to auto tighten the fastener rather than risk the rotation unscrewing it. If the impeller turns to the right, the fastener may tighten to the left, and turns to the left will tighten to the right.

Mind you, all this is just a general experience guess, proceed with caution.. :thumbsup: