Sign in to follow this  

tyre grooving road tyres

any guys here have any experience with tyre grooving. more specifically can i groove a DOT road tyre to suit my needs?  goldspeeds would be my dream tyre but they are not available here

what tyre groovers do you recommend,i've seen some cheap ones on amazon but not sure if they are any good

i've never even seen a tyre groover in real life so my knowledge is almost zero

I see no real sense in grooving a tire that's already been grooved for its purpose. Now grooving a slick is another story.

I used to build tyres in the 70`s and although things have changed a bit , the basics are still the same . Any good brand of groover will be ok . They are quite simple to operate , let it fully heat up and go for it . It is like a soldering iron , but with a cutting edge attatched to the tip . These can come in various shapes , I used to use a V shape as I was regrooving truck tyres a lot . I would have a good look at the constuction of the tyre you are going to groove , make sure it doesnt damage the chords or weaken the sidewall . Have a good look at what you might want in a pattern and dont cut too deep when you do it . It is better to have the pattern for a lot less time than to wreck the tyre , greg

thanks greg,do you have to groove the tyre while it is on the rim?

I see no real sense in grooving a tire that's already been grooved for its purpose. Now grooving a slick is another story.

slicks might be the option i take if i can find them,problem is slicks seem to have a very stiff carcass which works well on a race track but not on the a road filled with pot holes. dot race tyres only run the minimum about of tread so they can be DOT approved,as a result the tyres don't flex and take a long time to heat up on a supermoto. FLEX is the key to a supermoto tyre

thanks greg,do you have to groove the tyre while it is on the rim?

No , but I found it easier when it was able to spin , so you could slowly spin the wheel as you cut . Or if you have some type of jig/mount , you could fit the tyre to the rim and spin it on that as you cut . You can do it sitting with the tyre between your legs , but much easier when mounted , greg