Sign in to follow this  

Factory Connection suspension prob?!

So I took my suspension down to factory connection. I talked to Zack the manager before I went down, he said it would run me five or $600 to have my suspension revalued and resprung. It ended up costing me $950 and my bike still bottoms out when I land hard. Everything else is great like cornering, and breaking bumps. But when I land the bike still bottoms out. I want to be able to ride it to its full potential. Do I send it back too factory?

Yea, I've had nothing but problems with them myself sadly. Nicest people in the world, but they don't build the best suspension in the world, tell ya that much. They love selling you parts that you don't need and they refuse to send suspension out after a re-build, unless every single wear item is replaced. Thats fine and all, but they should put that stuff in the quote. You probably needed springs and some wear items, hence the cost.

Bottoming could be valving or, most likely, they didn't put the right springs in it. FC tends to run standard oil height, so I doubt thats the issue, unless they messed up on that, which is unlikely.

Yea, I'd bring it back to em' sadly... :(

Yes. For that kind of money, im sure they would add some bottoming resistance for you. Probably just a little more oil.

Yea, I've had nothing but problems with them myself sadly. Nicest people in the world, but they don't build the best suspension in the world, tell ya that much. They love selling you parts that you don't need and they refuse to send suspension out after a re-build, unless every single wear item is replaced. Thats fine and all, but they should put that stuff in the quote. You probably needed springs and some wear items, hence the cost.Bottoming could be valving or, most likely, they didn't put the right springs in it. FC tends to run standard oil height, so I doubt thats the issue, unless they messed up on that, which is unlikely.Yea, I'd bring it back to em' sadly... :(

He said for $500-$600 for a revalve and a respring so that already included the springs per him.

Zach, you need to provide a bit more break doe at how they arrived at the $950. $ for revalve =? $ for spings =? $ for wear parts =? $ for oil =?

My theory:   I feel that unless you tell them you are faster than you are and that you want a nice firm setup...in other words you want to be able to feel the track yet not be rattled by it... and you want to stay alive when flat landing an 80ft booter....it is going to be soft.

Is it possible that they want you to feel like you got a really comfortable setup and in going so soft and plush it translates (in their eyes) to a customer feeling like they got a lot for their money?  In other words it will be a big change from stock.

What bike?

The last bike I had them do was a 08 KX450.  I couldn't ride it safely.   I sent it to Smart Performance and to this day the bike performs well.  Its on its 3rd owner but I know the guy and he says he feels like he can hit anything without fear.  Keep in mind the bike is not fresh and who knows the last time it was serviced.

Anyway.  Get on the horn!! :thumbsup:

Edited by mikerides33
  • Like 1

I told them I was an A rider. I guess the only thing to do is to bring it back to them with my input. My tire wears on my rear fender it bottoms out so much. At one point I thought my shock was blown. Because it just felt like the bike rode in the bottom of the stroke so much.

And as for why it cost 350 dollars more was because of broken parts. I didn't argue with them about it I just paid them. But for me that was a lot more money than I intended to spend that day. I'm only 18, 950 is two weeks work for me.

Man 350 worth of broken parts?

Do you have a late model yz?

Same thing happened to me they quoted me 400 for a revalve and springs, called me when it was all done and said my bill would be 6 something. It was jimmy decotis' old bike so it had supercross suspension and a lot of stuff needed to be changed, but they didn't even give me a courtesy call and say hey look it's going to be more than we originally quoted you before going ahead and doing the work. But what they did was amazing, the turn around time and everything.

Amazing or not, based on the 2 stories provided, we have a 50% and a ~60% final bill higher than the original quote. I know they quote + wear parts but they should give you a range up front. That's been my experience. If they are to go out of that range, and they would know due to the fact that what they are replacing wouldn't "normally" be replaced, they should be calling the customer. That's just normal business, were not talking about best business practices.

I have had my suspension done by FC on my 2010 Rmz250 and 2013 Rmz250. The 2010 cost 1300$ because the suspension was hammered. The 2013 cost $750. And I had like 20 hrs on it.. suspension is top notch. Mega confidence inspiring

Yeah I own a 2013 yz250. I love it

I had probably 50 hours in the suspension when I took it too them

Ok so did they give you the broken parts back?? 

I can't see both IC piston being broke on a 2013 with only 50 hrs on the clock?

And even if both were that's only 150 worth of parts at best.

So what else did you have broke?  A bad shock body?  Damaged cartridge rod?

Give us a detail of your invoice and show us the broken parts.

I had a little Baggie of broken parts they gave me. When I get home I'll see what they are

And I'll try and find the invoice

I would assume you turned the compression in some. Send it back to them and tell them to stiffen it up. Tell them you want the Ryan Hughes setup-you never want to feel it completely bottom out on the hardest of landings.

A lot of people tell them they went their suspension stiff, then they get it back and complain that it's not soft enough.

That's what I'll tell them the next time it's time for a tune up. I hate feeling my toes hit the ground

Still curious what was in the bag they sent back =]

• Like 2

Still curious what was in the bag they sent back =]

Really though, to me, what's in the bag is kinda secondary.  To go from an estimate of $600 on the high side and even if they say +wear parts, add another $100, add tax on only parts, your at maybe $740.  ANY business should communicate with their customer if the charge is going to be a whopping 28% over that :foul: