Sign in to follow this  

mt43 trials tire issue after first ride

finally mounted up my mt43 with HD tube and did a small ride with a few mates yesterday... only about 35 miles... sierra fire roads and some great views... staged near cisco grove hit the top of signal peak, fordyce and lake sterling... very rock with lots of loose shale and granite... ran the tire with 12.5psi since it was my first ride with it and didn t want to pinch flat... i read of folks here on TT running low low pressure with tubeless... anyway, after just 35 miles the tire has began chunking... only fairly minor but still tearing of the leading edge of the center knobs... did i run the psi too high ?? i know this tire is the choice around here for woods riding and DS but is it out of place in nasty rocks ?? 

any thoughts appreciated..

bike is a plated xr400

cheers !!

anyone got any recommendations on pressure ??

too high ??

wrong tire for sharp rocks ??

I run an MT43 on the front at about 6psi. No chunking or issues at all. I don't do a lot of dirt or paved roads, but I do ride them.

On the rear I'm running Michelin X11 Tubless at about 4.5psi. No issues there either, except spooky on the roads.

I run the Tubliss system! never had a pinch flat or problem.

Any chance the tyre is expanding at higher speed and hitting the swingarm?

Mark

on the front eh... mine is a rear... i m very interested in the tubliss system... haven t taken the plunge yet... 

top speed on friday was only around 35 - 40... pretty tame ride so far as it goes.. i might try it at 10 psi next time..

I usually run about 10psi.  I'm surprised to hear about the chunking.  I think trials tires are generally the best for rocks, but maybe your rocks are sharper than mine?

the chunking is pretty minor.... i ll snap a photo of it later... just a little surprised to see the tire looking that way after only 35 miles...

the tire is still ok but i d like to stop it from further degradation... i ll give 10 psi a shot

cheers

Call Tubliss directly. They have excellent customer support.

+1 - They WILL make it right with NO hassles at all, even if  it was your mistake!

• Like 1

on the front eh... mine is a rear... i m very interested in the tubliss system... haven t taken the plunge yet... 

top speed on friday was only around 35 - 40... pretty tame ride so far as it goes.. i might try it at 10 psi next time..

Best price and Rocky Mountain ATV will price match if you use them.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/ShoppingCart.asp?

I run the Mt43 rear on my plated WR290f in Santa Cruz and Tahoe. I've ridden in all the loose shale and rocks of Boca, Verdi, etc....

My observations, are that the MT43 wears quickly at first, it almost goes to half depth, then stabilizes and holds at that depth for awhile. Grip and drive seem to be just as strong at half depth. I run mine at 15psi.

I just went tubliss on the front (w/ Kenda Parker DT) and am expecting my rear tubliss (w/ MT43)to show up any day-- looking forward to dropping the pressures and not experiencing pinch flats. Pinch flats were too common with my poor riding technique!

I ran the same MT43 on my XR650R in a RallyMoto race at up to 90mph and on my CRF450R for single track and it lasted forever!?!  I was amazed and no chunking at all.  I didn't really like it for the high speed gravel, but it grips great for single track and is smooth on pavement.

I wanted to hate this tire. I tried to destroy this tire on day one. Eight psi, rocks, mud, 80+ Mph bursts on the pavement. Nothing but grip. 1500 miles later minimal wear. No chunking. The more I abuse it, the better it works.

• Like 2

finally mounted up my mt43 with HD tube and did a small ride with a few mates yesterday... only about 35 miles... sierra fire roads and some great views... staged near cisco grove hit the top of signal peak, fordyce and lake sterling... very rock with lots of loose shale and granite... ran the tire with 12.5psi since it was my first ride with it and didn t want to pinch flat... i read of folks here on TT running low low pressure with tubeless... anyway, after just 35 miles the tire has began chunking... only fairly minor but still tearing of the leading edge of the center knobs... did i run the psi too high ?? i know this tire is the choice around here for woods riding and DS but is it out of place in nasty rocks ?? 

any thoughts appreciated..

bike is a plated xr400

cheers !!

Dude....that is strange. I have an 03 XR400, live and ride in similar areas and have worn out 3 MT43 trials with zero chunking. Any pictures?

finally loaded the photos from the damn phone... prolly done 3 - 4 rides with the new tire... zero problems since... chunking is obviously minor but i was still surprised..

2013-09-12_15-44-31_514_zpsf9adf9af.jpg

2013-10-07_13-06-40_491_zpsa1814fc7.jpg

You're fine, let it "wear in" as they say

for sure, but not really what i expected from new rubber...

she s all good now tho..

I always run 6-7psi on the trail with UHD tube and 12-13psi on pavement on DS rides. Never chunked a bit even in super rocky areas. 

If you do not live at altitude this might have happened-12.5 at your house,unload at altitude and you are at 14 plus,start riding and you are at 16 plus. Way to much air and you end up spinning to much and that is what happens to a tire.For my high altitude,rocky Idaho riding I use 5 rear and 7 front cold so when you are actually riding they are 6 and 8.Great traction and no problem with pinch flats.I am 275 ready to ride.