Sign in to follow this  

1988 honda cr 250 clutch cover

dont trust ebay use part numbers to verify 87-91 will fit i use this site OEM-CYCLE.com or bike bandit.com to compare part numbers i have an 87 cr250 

• Like 1

i bought the new one for almost 90 bucks..i figured id go with new..what all have you done with your 87?  did you replace the water pump cover ? corrosion problems?  i am still trying to get mine going..i got a 86 and i bought a 89 cylinder and the valves were a little different..so i bought a 89 spindle cam to work with the cylinder..then i had to change the bottom end stud bolts cause they was to short..so i replaced them with the 89 stud bolts..and i bought a 88 crank case cover and got a 88 water pump put in it so i could hook the spindle cam up to it..and everything looks like its going to work..i really hope so anyways..cyl was 250.00  the crank case inner and outter was 250.00 the stud bolts was 10.00 the spindle cam was 35.00 and i had to get some nuts and bolts they was all about 40..so you do the math..i got my figers crossed man..heres a few pics..and let me know what all changes if any that you have done to your bike...and if none..i would never run strait water in that thing..those cases will corrode right away and you will replace it.. :D

$(KGrHqNHJBkFIWWUuYVTBSLoltT1F!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16hHJIUFHIUJVzuLBSLomS5l9Q~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!lMFIOOF548PBSLz+4MJl!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16JHJGMFFoqTsus5BSSbjeUNPw~~60_12.JPG

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0475.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

IMAG0476.jpg

mine was already converted when i got the bike everything is clean as a whistle!!! so was lucky there mine had a bunch of stuff done to it prior had some porting done to the cylinder racetech suspension PC pipe and vforce 3 reeds 178 main 58 pilot needle on 2nd from top 40-1 runs awsome no big issues really at all ive done the top end and ALL the bearings on the wheels and linkage and swing arm........seems like youve got everything changed over right slap it all back together and see how it goes lol oh and use OEM cylinder head gaskets on that motor the aftermarket ones ive never had any good luck with there cheap and seem to blow easily and leak coolant  spend the extra cash for no hassles 

i appreciate the advice..i do have 2 different head gaskets..one is ruber like and the other is metal..i think i will go with the rubber one..here is a question for you..have you ever seen , tried or heard of anyone putting a newer cylinder on a 86 or 87 like i did?

use the metal one those are the better ones in my opinion...and as for the motors you might as well put in a whole new motor instead of trying to guess if stuff is gonna fit or be within tolerace to work  at all stick with the years that are interchangable theres still lots of parts out there 

You need part number 11340-KS7-831 that is the part number from a 1989 CR250, it also fits the 1988 CR250.

Part number 11341-KZ4-700 which fits a 1990/91 CR250 I have been told but not verified, will also fit the 1988/89 CR250. The 1990/91 part number has been discontinued by Honda.

In 1992 Honda made major changes to the engine and those water pump covers will not fit. Honda still has in stock the 1989 water pump cover but it has been reported that they are getting down to the last ones.

if you look in the picture above you will see the boyensen cover i bought today for 90 dollars..its going on a 88 case..i put it on a 86 bottom end and a 89 cylinder as well..there was very little changes between the years..so i am pretty confident everything is gonna work great..cause think about it..if it bolts up and everything is good..newer only was better,,,they made the valves better of course,,and like u said about the waterpump in the 86 87 they were terrible..88 and up was alot better covers..i believe this bike will run better than a original 86 or 87..just because everything is better..not by much but enough to be a all around better bike..tho i agree i should stay original but for the cylinder price i couldnt pass it up..200 bucks and it cam with the piston and rings and bearing plus a cylinder head came with it as well along with the valves...i could part this top end in peices and triple my money..but the idea is to get this multi year bike running..and running good..because honestly i never seen nobody what so ever on the internet put a 89 cyl on a 1986 bottom end..so hopefully i nail it ;)

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1986/CR250R+A/CYLINDER+HEAD+86-89/parts.html <~~~~~ this is why i figured the 89 cylinder should work on the 86 bottom end..it says 86~89  cylinder shematics

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1986/CR250R+A/CYLINDER+HEAD+86-89/parts.html <~~~~~ this is why i figured the 89 cylinder should work on the 86 bottom end..it says 86~89  cylinder shematics

again i put the 88 cover on..that had the arm that hooks to the spindle cam..so i got the 89 spindle cam to match the cover and the cylinder and eveything works like it should..and the 89 cylinders were built better..so i think its a win win...they changed this to make the valves work better vs. the 86 ~ 87 spring loaded hpp valves

Robert Huffman. Dude. Please one subject per thread. Simple sentences if you want people to read them and help you. And stop posting about your jug swap. This is thread #6 that you bring that shit up. Keep it on its thread or no more help.

To answer your original post.

The clutch cover: i'm pretty sure works all the way up to like 2001! just the clutch cover part and gasket.

Then sounds like you know the scoop about 1985-1988 magnesium covers, that they corrode. Running straight tap water is dumb in any engine old or new. Antifreeze is not just for lowering the freezing temperature, but also to protect against corrosion. Also use DISTILLED WATER and not tap water!

1989 right cover was aluminum. Its the only permanent fix available. They are getting hard to find so buy yours while you can. I lined my magnesium cover with Jb Weld and it has held up extremely well. Just delaying the inevitable trying so save a few bucks.

Robert Huffman. Dude. Please one subject per thread. Simple sentences if you want people to read them and help you. And stop posting about your jug swap. This is thread #6 that you bring that shit up. Keep it on its thread or no more help.

The clutch cover: i'm pretty sure works all the way up to like 2001! just the clutch cover part and gasket.

Then sounds like you know the scoop about 1985-1988 magnesium covers, that they corrode. Running straight tap water is dumb in any engine old or new. Antifreeze is not just for lowering the freezing temperature, but also to protect against corrosion. Also use DISTILLED WATER and not tap water!

1989 right cover was aluminum. Its the only permanent fix available. They are getting hard to find so buy yours while you can. I lined my magnesium cover with Jb Weld and it has held up extremely well. Just delaying the inevitable trying so save a few bucks.

really i only got a few good answers from some certin people... most of the people love to doubt people and are D!cks... honestly i don't know why i keep coming here for advice when 90 percent of it is doubting things that DO WORK! and they talk like they know what they are talking about..if i knew the right place to post i would go strait there and dodge all the negitive bullsh!t... i am new to thumpertalk and don't know how or where to ask for questions..its pretty odvious that i am looking for good help for my build..where exacttly do i find that at? cause i am not getting it here!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i am a strictly possitive dude and don't need negitive energy! thanks!

really i only got a few good answers from some certin people... most of the people love to doubt people and are D!cks... honestly i don't know why i keep coming here for advice when 90 percent of it is doubting things that DO WORK! and they talk like they know what they are talking about..if i knew the right place to post i would go strait there and dodge all the negitive bullsh!t... i am new to thumpertalk and don't know how or where to ask for questions..its pretty odvious that i am looking for good help for my build..where exacttly do i find that at? cause i am not getting it here!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i am a strictly possitive dude and don't need negitive energy! thanks!

and how do i stop thumpertalk from blowing up my damn email adress? is there a setting to fix it? all i want to do is log in and go to contents i follow and look for good answers..not get a million emails a day!